New to Sims 4 and WW - How do you like to play?

tl;dr: How do you like to play this game, with WickedWhims in mind, to keep the game interesting for a fairly long term?

What sorts of scenarios or objectives do you set up for your sims? Do you play legitimately, trying to earn money to buy furniture and expand your homes, or do you use money cheats to build up your dream homes instantly? 

How do you keep a reasonable progression without spoiling the fun or "build-up" for yourself, while at the same time keeping the game fun and interesting? From what I can tell, the legit grind can become very tedious.

Some background, and the reason for this post:

I recently noticed The Sims 4 was on sale on Origin so I decided to pick up the Digital Deluxe version. I might end up picking up a few of the other expansions since they're 40% off right now too, haven't really decided yet (as an aside: what would you recommend for biggest bang for your buck, or most fun?). 

After getting the game up and running, I installed a decent list of mods, following various instructions from more knowledgeable people than myself. The game is running well, although I do get a few exceptions when playing so I think one of the mods I'm running is out of date (likely because of the recent update, from what I'm reading... I think it's an animation or clothing mod because I verified the more essential mods in the broken mod list)--still playable though. I've spent a lot of time modding Skyrim so I'm pretty comfortable in doing my due diligence when it comes to modding a new game. That's half of the fun, after all.

Anyway, I went through the tutorial in the first game I started, up to the point where I felt I'd learned and understood the core mechanics, at which point I noticed things I was trying to do were blocked by the tutorial, so I ended it to skip the rest and launch straight into the game. For the first few hours I was playing the game mostly as vanilla, hadn't done any WW actions whatsoever. Eventually I wanted to experiment so I started "leaning in" to the WW content and basically turned off most of the settings that block sims from engaging in behavior they normally wouldn't. As you can guess, the game quickly spiraled into a sexytime fest where people were literally getting busy in the streets.

I've decided to back off from that a bit, now that I've been able to see what WW is capable of. I'm going to start a new game today and let relationships and encounters progress more naturally, but I don't want to have to grind for IRL weeks at a time just to be able to set up sexy scenarios I like. Are there ways to automate moneymaking and the more grindy aspects of the game without completely removing the progression?

Mostly I'm just curious how others play this game. I see a lot of people here talk about creating stories and I assume they're mostly using the game to create scenes which they'll take screenshots of and put text to later in some fashion (or perhaps I'm misunderstanding that entirely!). That's not really something I'm interested in myself, I like the autonomy of the sims and am hoping to take more of a "nudging" role than one of direct control. Anyway, I'm getting off track and this post is pretty long so I'll cut it here.

How do you prefer to play this game?

I just started a challenge, and it's the most fun and at the same time, trauma that I've had. I basically randomized everything, and I rolled for a couple, but the roll gave me one unflirty Sim and one romantic. I'm also only able to do anything based on their Whims, so I can't force them together, I can only make them interact by what they ask for, or if they interact on their own. So far, I've had no luck at all, and every time my romantic Sim gets flirty, my unflirty one will make them both embarrassed. It's a pain, like watching your favorite drama, and waiting for the 50242908th episode for them to finally kiss. Totally recommend.

For me it's kind of a virtual studio/playground, 

I started to play the game a couple of years ago out of curiosity, I'd been aware of the sims series and had only ever seen it played on a console, I'd never heard that games could be modded or made naughty so I was pretty blown away to find it wasn't a hoax ?

I found that my main enjoyment comes from setting up scenes sharing the images and vids more than playing the game as such and I'm a bit of a CAS junkie lol, my sims use a lot of cc which I sometimes edit for a certain look, 

For scenes and stories, these are mostly done with a pose-player mod which can be found at Sims4Studio and pose packs that are found at various sites, a good source is sssvitlans (lanafinds) 

After a little while playing with the available animations and not finding much for my tastes I had a try at making them, 

My animation package is mainly focused on girl/girl teasing and foreplay and I have fun with the extra freedom to create a scene from my mind! 

Learning animation has also led me into experimenting with clothing and objects too which has given me a lot more freedom to create unique sims, 

I went straight in with the cheats for my game, max money etc, 

My sims are pretty spoilt and want for nothing ? I'm using a mod called UI Cheat Extension which gives you manual control of needs and stats etc, it's very helpful to keep everyone awake and happy for my scenarios lol ?

I use it as an image-making program, to be able to take screenshots and dress my characters up is a fun way to complement written stories or to just play out fun scenarios I wanted to see my characters in. I always wished something like this existed because I can't draw as well as I'd like to. So this takes care of that constant itch I have for visuals. 

A person can do poses without WW for any kind of character situation, but there are still limits in the gameplay itself so that's why I downloaded WW too. I wanted it for the relationship options. 

As for money, I just use cheats...I don't have have the patience for that. The game itself is repetitive so it's not really much of a challenge in itself. 

So yea, how you play it depends on what you want out of it.

Currently, I spend most of my time either a) tinkering with the appearance of my favourite sims in CAS, b) putting together matching outfits or costumes, c) downloading and trying custom content (mostly clothing). Then I'll just plop down the updated sim into a random empty house, travel with it, use some cheats and take screenshots (and don't save the game). I guess I do not play play the game that much... One of the things that now kind of discourages me are the monsters randomly generated sims using a lot of odd looking CC in my last save. But I intend to return to the game sometime, possibly after migrating my sims to a clean world, if only to play the expansions I have bought but never really played (Get Together, Get to Work and Spa Day).

You may like this, maybe not. I use this when I don't have anything planned, which is all of the time. There's some information missing here and the randomizer link will sometimes give a noscript error because the address is really big, but the roulettes work fine.

Spoiler

You can do prompts one at a time, or try to combine several at once.

Begin Randomizer

Roulettes

Random Lot     Traits      Lot Type      World      Game

Archived