Blender VS Milkshape

XXLR8

Blender is for sure more professional and has a lot more features.

But MilkShape was designed mostly to mod games (Sims, for instance) so it is a little easier to use when you do it to mod these games.

Both Blender and MilkShape have unique advantages and disadvantages.

I find that I need both. Blender is more awkward in many areas yet has much better UV Mapping ability with various Unwrap features.  It also has a host of add ons like Decimator (similar to Milkshapes Directx Meshing Tool - only much cleaner and quicker).

A complicated program like Blender also has a longer learning curve.  

Blender can import files that Milkshape cannot but can export in a file format that MilkShape CAN import.

Milkshape is much simpler in all respects. Very basic UV Mapping system. Simple vertice and Face tools. Just the minimum to create, clean, and export.

It's my go-to program for Mesh editing. 

It's my go-to program for final clean-up of the Mesh and for Exporting for Sims 3 TSRW.

It's my go-to for final arrangement of the UV-Map and Map Export to GIMP 2.8 for creating overlay, color, multiplier, specular, Alpha, difusion, occlusion, masks, etc.

Blender is my go-to for Burning (rarely ever really used) areas of UV Map to accept multiple Map overlays for 2-sided fabrics, unwrapping and seaming Objects for UV Map Layouts, and for reducing and increasing poly counts.  The Scaling tools works nicer in Blender too.

So, you can do a feature by feature comparison - but it comes down to what you will be using these editors for...

Your learning curve will depend on just what you want to do and which editor's features you find easiest.

There is a trial version of MilkShape but some ability is blocked until you pay the $40 USD for a Key. A little pricey for  Shareware with minimal features - worth it - if that's the tool you need to use to do what you love to do.

These editors will work side-by-side (have both up at same time) - to bad there is no porting between them. You can also have TSRW and CMars Mesh Toolkit up at same time with both 3D editors. MilkShape does become a little glitchy with ALL windows (programs) up - just save often. You know your Machine - I don't.

Some features you need will work better in one Editor than in the other.  Some file formats you want to use may not be compatible with one editor or the other so use one editors IMPORT and export in a format the other editor can use. 

Recommendations...

• Install BOTH Milkshape (full paid version) and Blender.
  • Find a comprehensive list of all "shortcut keys" for both programs and learn them.
    • (Ctrl-z to undo, Ctrl-r to rotate, Ctrl-i to invert selection, Ctrl-d to duplicate, Ctrl-g to move (Blender), etc.)
  • Install ALL plugins for both editors for the Gaming Mods you intend to make.
  • Start with the simplest edits using MilkShape getting use to basic function and features - try the same edit in Blender and see which works best for you.
  • Practice.

Blender is very Rich in features so you will need to view a few How-To videos. There are How-To videos for both Editors.

I haven't had any serious problem with anything in Blender (that wasn't because I didn't know a feature existed or I made a mistake).

Trying to get some info from the "Person" that made MilkShape or from his/MilkShape website is like trying to pull your own teeth...

Coldloc gave a good link above to explain what the various 3D editing software (market contenders) are primarily used for and overall editing capabilities/features.  The problem is you're not using them. You will only use a very small subset of those features.

The questions are - how do I get to those features, how do you use them, and how much procedural "s**t" do I have to do in order to get the results I want? You may have noticed that MilkShape was not in the lineup. MilkShape has not been updated in a very long time and there is a "Future System Compatibility" question looming on the horizon.

Although you may find MilkShape to be more intuitive and easier to use in a lot of respects, it is not in market contention and seems to have no aspirations to do so. This guarantees its obsolescence and subsequent non compatibility with future operating systems like Windows 12. So, use it now to ease the learning curve and gain process and procedural understanding - while focusing your learning attentions to features and there use on Blender, or other Open Source or Market Contender Editors. 

Archived