Gears of War

HentaiGnome

Gears_of_War_logo.PNG

gow.jpg

With the recent release of GoW 3, I thought I'd celebrate by creating a thread dedicated to it here at LoversLab. I've played GoW 1 a long time ago when it came out but I lost the game. After a while I kind of just lost interest with it. But with the arrival of the third game I've suddenly gained back that interest. I bought the Triple Pack and I just recently finished the first game (again) and now I've started on the second one. So far it's pretty good and I was surprised at how epic it is compared to the first game. The first thirty minutes into it got me gripping to my controller lol. That said, I do have a couple of questions:

1. For some reason many people hate GoW 2. Why?

2. Anyone currently playing GoW 3? How do you like it so far?

Gears of War 1 was annoying as hell really. At the lowest difficulty, the AI acts like it's fine to kill you in just a few shots. And I really hate the Berserker bait act. That was probably the best level to showcase slack programming.

GOW2 was probably the best GOW to start with really.

On PC it was not so hard.

I beat it on hardes difficulty (to unlock achivs ) without major problems (only the level when you travel on mine cart was annoying as hell in co-op )

Bereserker was quite easy on all "levels " just had to dodge in right moment and that was all.

Then attack with sky hammer and voila done.

I'll admit the first time I encountered Berserker she was a pain in the ass but mainly that was my fault for not paying attention to what my comrades were telling me, as in I had to go out to an open space and use the Hammer of Dawn. I guess it was because I was young back then or maybe because I just got too excited easily that I kept running out of bullets and eventually dying having failed to evade her rush-in attack. After I figured out the "trick" she was just too easy. And I guess at that point I could agree in that she was an example of "lazy programming". But even so, she nearly gave me a heart attack the first time I encountered her and even to this day I still kind of get chills down my spine lol.

In all honesty, the only part I really hated in GoW 1 was the final boss fight with RAAM. Too many gameovers than I would actually like to admit. Even with using the Torque Bow + Sniper Rifle combo, he is still one pain in the ass dude. And it doesn't help that I can't do headshots properly with an Xbox gamepad (as opposed to keyboard + mouse on a PC), so the bastard always ends up killing me after a while. Recently, I was able to finish him off by rushing to the other end as best as I could and grab hold of the Troika, in which I just unleashed all those bullets I had on the guy. Luckily, the pack of Kryll that normally would surround him were too busy picking on poor Dom lol. With that, the fight ended pretty quick, actually.

@ HentaiGnome, RAAM was annoying too but what I was ranting about was the AI which I should have pointed out. The AI in GOW1 made it a habit to not get out of the fucking way. Seriously, you see a two tonne Berserker running at me, why wouldn't you get the fuck out of there!

Well let's remember that first GoW was from 2006/7

Back then player's where more "hardcore " not like now where everything is plain and simple and huge arrow/maker is showing you where to go.

Nowadays game's become more and more casual, and sadly there is nothing we can do about it.

@ HentaiGnome' date=' RAAM was annoying too but what I was ranting about was the AI which I should have pointed out. The AI in GOW1 made it a habit to not get out of the fucking way. Seriously, you see a two tonne Berserker running at me, why wouldn't you get the fuck out of there!

[/quote']

I guess that's true. At least we didn't have to worry about them again in GoW 2 (sorry for the minor spoiler, folks). Speaking of GoW 2, I literally JUST finished the game before posting this. Damn... that game was EPIC!!! I'm seriously not sure what people were complaining about. But with everything they threw in there I'm surprised there's even a GoW 3. Sure, in regards to the storyline nothing was concluded so it makes sense to develop a third game, but in regards to gameplay what else can they add that's new? I'm really curious now...

Well let's remember that first GoW was from 2006/7

Back then player's where more "hardcore " not like now where everything is plain and simple and huge arrow/maker is showing you where to go.

Nowadays game's become more and more casual' date=' and sadly there is nothing we can do about it.

[/quote']

That is also true. Thinking back on it, I'm surprised I never got frustrated at some of those old SNES games, especially ones that had no save points or broken AI. I was hardcore and never knew it, and now that I'm grown up I've lost that "hardcore-ness" and am now borderline casual lol... Sucks.

Well I agree with that.

I recenlty manage to launch Max Payne on Win 7

And damm I was surprised because I remember back in 2002 I was able to play it without any problems or dying..

Now bam bam... 2~3 shoots and your DEAD..

and there was usually few thugs with semi-auto weapons in room..

After few mission I finally "switched " back to hardcore mod.

But already can see the diffrence between now and good old days and how "casual " I become :P

I feel Gears 2 was a major step up as far as the campaign goes(and horde was fantastic at the time), but the more serious story was kind of a bummer for me. It felt like they tried too hard to be emotional and serious, the original had a lighter "buddy action flick" tone to it, wich I personally enjoyed more.

Still, I really wanna check out 3, and probably will do so soon enough.

I feel Gears 2 was a major step up as far as the campaign goes(and horde was fantastic at the time)' date=' but the more serious story was kind of a bummer for me. It felt like they tried too hard to be emotional and serious, the original had a lighter "buddy action flick" tone to it, wich I personally enjoyed more.

Still, I really wanna check out 3, and probably will do so soon enough.

[/quote']

It was the opposite for me. I'm all about the story and lore when it comes to games, otherwise I feel it's pointless to play. While GoW 1's story campaign was good on its own, it left a lot to be desired. I think GoW 2 took it to a higher level. Sure, it became a little more "surreal" as opposed to the realistic, gritty feel that the first game had, but it was bound to happen given that we had to know what the deal was with the Locust. As a fan of anime, I'm a sucker for scenes that touch on emotional aspects. While they did feel abrupt and forced at times, they weren't too bad. Actually, I would have liked it if they squeezed in more flashback scenes and touched on the histories of the major characters.

Anyway, I JUST finished GoW 3 and holy crap the single campaign was EPIC!!! :D

I guess to me it's just that they didn't really fully go all the way to make it emotional and serious, so the game still had a lot jokey moments and funny dialogues, it sort of felt like they didn't really know how to handle the darker, more emotional plot and just sort of went in between. Still, the setpieces and bosses were all fantastic in 2, and gameplaywise, I definitely enjoyed it more than the original.

I do agree with you that it was obvious the game would get more serious after 1 though, I guess I'll have to wait until I beat 3 to see how it all stacks up, but I'm glad you're saying 3's campaign is solid anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess it's because I tend to play games with an open mind and low expectations that I'm easier to please. Hell, I'm the same guy that goes around telling people that I like Golden Axe: Beast Rider and Final Fantasy XIII. And so with that said, I personally think GoW 3 was a great game but others may disagree, especially those who consider themselves as die-hard fans of the series.

IMO, there was nothing wrong with GoW 3's gameplay. It's the same-old cover shooter fun that we're familiar with, just with a few things added. There's also nothing wrong with the game's visuals. In fact, I'd say they've vastly improved. I especially liked how they rendered Anya. While I can't say the soundtrack is anything to write home about, I thought it fit the overall tone of the setting. I also liked how Claudia Black decided to voice act for one of the characters in this game. As for story, I thought it was pretty solid and pretty much gave a decent conclusion to the series. I still think that the whole emotional aspect of it was a bit weak as opposed to other games out there, but at least it didn't seem like an afterthought compared to their attempt in GoW 2. Here in GoW 3, I actually "felt" something inside, so to speak.

To be honest, GoW3 (this is playing it at work!) isn't really a step up. After looking back, all of them had slight tweaks here and there but the majority of these tweaks are for online.

And this is quite sad as I play single player more than multi and the lack of care in the single is all to easy to see. The AI is just balls in rushing to cover when you're lining up that shot to help them out. And pathetically, AI still won't man fucking guns to help you out. They just prefer to shoot their own until you die. I think Epic should learn from Kojima Productions into how to do decent AI.

Archived