How to identify a bad mesh?

SAC

I'm pretty sure I have a bad outfit mesh, because the game CTDs when spawning randomly-clothed NPCs. My problem is that I don't know how to identify which outfit is the culprit (other than trying out all of them manually, which would be very tedious and time consuming)

Any ideas? 

ty

Which NPC type? because in the unmodded game, they mostly use different outfits lists.

I understand that because it crashes when it is being used means that it is harder to find so you can do the following.

in console, do the following in a quiet place

tai - which turns off the AI

player.placeatme 20593 - Settler

player.placeatme 1167a5 - Settler Guard

player.placeatme DE969 - Gunner

player.placeatme 2898B - Raider

There are more ID's but this is a good start

I would quicksave and then spawn 10-20 of one type and then quickload and repeat

until it CTD's

otherwise look at where in the worldspace, it crashes because it may give clues to what is CTDing such as the Ironworks has very different clothes than Lexington

This is a good idea, but not really applicable in my particular case.

I am using a custom leveled list for outfits which pretty much applies to all NPC factions, meaning that all factions (including my own customized "slave" / braindead NPCs) use the same pool of outfits. So, identifying an offending faction (if any) doesn't really indicate an outfit category.

3 hours ago, SAC said:

This is a good idea, but not really applicable in my particular case.

I am using a custom leveled list for outfits which pretty much applies to all NPC factions, meaning that all factions (including my own customized "slave" / braindead NPCs) use the same pool of outfits. So, identifying an offending faction (if any) doesn't really indicate an outfit category.

ok I get it, I did the same for a while.

next idea. (This will take a while but it depends on leveled list) (hopefully you didn't do the quest leveled list)

make a list of your leveled list by writing them down on a piece of paper (or print them out)

and repeat the settler spawn and cross the outfits out when they work until you have a searchable amount.

Also for testing, I would use ESPExplorer (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16718) it makes life a lot easier with this kind of thing.

if it crashes using ESPExplorer then you are really close to the problem. (so take note of what armor you are highlighting with this mod)

9 hours ago, Invictaxe said:

ok I get it, I did the same for a while.

next idea. (This will take a while but it depends on leveled list) (hopefully you didn't do the quest leveled list)

make a list of your leveled list by writing them down on a piece of paper (or print them out)

and repeat the settler spawn and cross the outfits out when they work until you have a searchable amount.

Also for testing, I would use ESPExplorer (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16718) it makes life a lot easier with this kind of thing.

if it crashes using ESPExplorer then you are really close to the problem. (so take note of what armor you are highlighting with this mod)

So, thank you so much for the ESPExplorer idea, it made it a lot easier. What worked was importing all outfits from my esp, then equipping them one by one from pipboy (no need to leave the pipboy between switching outfits, just clicking each outfit is sufficient). Actually found two bad outfits so far :)

1 minute ago, SAC said:

So, thank you so much for the ESPExplorer idea, it made it a lot easier. What worked was importing all outfits from my esp, then equipping them one by one from pipboy (no need to leave the pipboy between switching outfits, just clicking each outfit is sufficient). Actually found two bad outfits so far :)

what were they? also I assume that you make batch files of clothes, weapons and etc

also you haven't reach the really painful level, clothes that are completely fine except when VATS see it and then CTD

31 minutes ago, Invictaxe said:

what were they? also I assume that you make batch files of clothes, weapons and etc

also you haven't reach the really painful level, clothes that are completely fine except when VATS see it and then CTD

LOL @ VATS!

A skyrim miner outfit port that used to work, but then I must have done something "smart" to it, and a Crimsomrider outfit remesh that I cannot figure out why it's acting up, it looks benign enough. I'll look more into it.

I'm not doing batches because I am in love with the EVB body (with some "alterations" of my own), so I cannot use sliders (except for zaps). I never really clicked with CBBE, no matter how I tried tweaking it.

Archived