Seting up blender to show oblivion textures?

rad87

Is there a way to setup blender to show textures on imported nifs?

If I recall correctly (and it's possible that I am not), Blender reads the texture path directly from the Nif itself. This texture path *should* be relative to the current location of the nif itself.

You have two choices. Either should work.

One, you can set up a workspace inside of the data/meshes/ folder of your blender install. When Blender starts looking for textures, it should back out of your current folder until it encounters a Textures folder, and then check the path for your texture.

Alternately, you can create your workspace someplace else, and just manually build a data/textures/blahblahblah folder in the correct relative location to your workspace.

If I recall correctly (and it's possible that I am not)' date=' Blender reads the texture path directly from the Nif itself. This texture path *should* be relative to the current location of the nif itself.

One, you can set up a workspace inside of the data/meshes/ folder of your blender install. When Blender starts looking for textures, it should back out of your current folder until it encounters a Textures folder, and then check the path for your texture.

Alternately, you can create your workspace someplace else, and just manually build a data/textures/blahblahblah folder in the correct relative location to your workspace.

[/quote']

Seems to have worked partialy.

And thats how it looks in nifscope.

If I recall correctly (and it's possible that I am not)' date=' Blender reads the texture path directly from the Nif itself. This texture path *should* be relative to the current location of the nif itself.

[/quote']

Seems to have worked partialy.

And thats how it looks in nifscope.

If I were to guess, that looks an awful lot like the default leather armor texture. If it is, then the mesh is probabaly getting it straight from the bsa.

Blender can deal with dds files just fine, but it can't extract them from the BSA. To do that, you'll need BSA Commander

If none of that makes any sense at all, well, BSA's are the compressed files like Oblivion.bsa that store all of the vanilla meshes and textures. Modded clothing and armor can use these default textures without extracting them from the bsa. But, to make those textures appear in a program like Blender, you've got to extract them first.

If I were to guess' date=' that looks an awful lot like the default leather armor texture. If it is, then the mesh is probabaly getting it straight from the bsa.

Blender can deal with dds files just fine, but it can't extract them from the BSA. To do that, you'll need BSA Commander

If none of that makes any sense at all, well, BSA's are the compressed files like Oblivion.bsa that store all of the vanilla meshes and textures. Modded clothing and armor can use these default textures without extracting them from the bsa. But, to make those textures appear in a program like Blender, you've got to extract them first.

i have something for opening bsa's, i think that obmm can extract from bsa's, can't remember exactly and i'm not home so i can't check. would extracting all vanilla textures have an impact on oblivion performance? with archive invalidation oblivion would use the extracted ones right?

i have something for opening bsa's' date=' i think that obmm can extract from bsa's, can't remember exactly and i'm not home so i can't check. would extracting all vanilla textures have an impact on oblivion performance? with archive invalidation oblivion would use the extracted ones right?

[/quote']

While bsa commander "does" work it is far from ideal. The best bsa extraction tool for Oblivion\Fallout 3\Fallout NV is FOMM (fallout mod manager). Just download and install it (whether you have fallout or not is irrelevant) and then set bsa files to open with FOMM. Then whenever you want to look at something in a bsa just double click on the bsa file and boom - there are the files. FOMM will allow you to extract 1, 2, all and any number in between. It will extract them to a location of your choice.

While bsa commander "does" work it is far from ideal. The best bsa extraction tool for Oblivion\Fallout 3\Fallout NV is FOMM (fallout mod manager). Just download and install it (whether you have fallout or not is irrelevant) and then set bsa files to open with FOMM. Then whenever you want to look at something in a bsa just double click on the bsa file and boom - there are the files. FOMM will allow you to extract 1' date=' 2, all and any number in between. It will extract them to a location of your choice.

[/quote']

Oblivion Mod Manager has the same functionality for bsa files. does FOMM is better than OBMM in this department in any way?

Oblivion Mod Manager has the same functionality for bsa files. does FOMM is better than OBMM in this department in any way?

Yes, FOMM has a much improved interface. You can browse via clicking on the +\- signs much like using windows explorer to find things quickly. OBMM's bsa tool just throws up a list that isn't at all helpful if you are opening a large bsa file to extract one or two things. The FOMM bsa tool also is really dependable (never had it crash on me).

how about importing kf's? it would be very cool to be able to see how the modified mesh behaves when animated without the need of starting up oblivion. I tried doing that in nifskope but with no luck

*edit* Ok figured out a method that seems to work. When importing skeleton adding the kf file in import settings seems to do the trick. When i tried loading nif file and adding the kf the same way instead of an animation I got weirdly deformed mesh.

how about importing kf's? it would be very cool to be able to see how the modified mesh behaves when animated without the need of starting up oblivion. I tried doing that in nifskope but with no luck

*edit* Ok figured out a method that seems to work. When importing skeleton adding the kf file in import settings seems to do the trick. When i tried loading nif file and adding the kf the same way instead of an animation I got weirdly deformed mesh.

You need to have the FULL skeleton. Without the full skeleton the mesh will go funky on you. Use the skeleton nif and copy branch\paste branch your armor\body\clothing onto it and then import the animation.

Archived