Help with .nif edit

Hi

First of all, sorry if I placed this in the wrong section, if so please move it.

I want to make an edit to this mesh I've attached (it's from the mod truedibellastatue). Specifically I want to change her pose into something more sexy. 

I have a basic idea of how nifskope and creation kit works, and I've created several texture "mods" in the past, however I am new to mesh editing-so any help at all would be appreciated. There are a ton of mods and mod installation guides out there but almost nothing (new at least) at how to become an actual modder.

statuedibella.nif

11 hours ago, J the Hog said:

Hi

First of all, sorry if I placed this in the wrong section, if so please move it.

I want to make an edit to this mesh I've attached (it's from the mod truedibellastatue). Specifically I want to change her pose into something more sexy. 

I have a basic idea of how nifskope and creation kit works, and I've created several texture "mods" in the past, however I am new to mesh editing-so any help at all would be appreciated. There are a ton of mods and mod installation guides out there but almost nothing (new at least) at how to become an actual modder.

statuedibella.nif

For what it sounds like you want, you'll need Autodesk 3DS (if you're a student, you can get it for free, and there's way more YT tutorials on this) and/or Blender (it's free)

In Autodesk 3DS I find it's easier to manipulate meshes. Instead of googling "Skyrim" with it, simply google "Autodesk 3DS Mesh editing tutorials." Find one that helps you the best, and apply it to a Skyrim mesh by importing the .NIF into 3DS, and re-exporting it. After exporting your edited .nif file, you'll need to fire up NIFSkope and set up everything. (I find it best to compare what I'm doing in NIFSkope to better modders who've done similar things.)

Good luck! :)

P.S. Autodesk 3DS looks kinda intimidating when you first open it up, but you'll get it in no time!

On 8/30/2018 at 7:03 AM, xxsilentrevelationxx said:

For what it sounds like you want, you'll need Autodesk 3DS (if you're a student, you can get it for free, and there's way more YT tutorials on this) and/or Blender (it's free)

In Autodesk 3DS I find it's easier to manipulate meshes. Instead of googling "Skyrim" with it, simply google "Autodesk 3DS Mesh editing tutorials." Find one that helps you the best, and apply it to a Skyrim mesh by importing the .NIF into 3DS, and re-exporting it. After exporting your edited .nif file, you'll need to fire up NIFSkope and set up everything. (I find it best to compare what I'm doing in NIFSkope to better modders who've done similar things.)

Good luck! :)

P.S. Autodesk 3DS looks kinda intimidating when you first open it up, but you'll get it in no time!

Thank you for the help!

I've been toiling with 3DS, trying to make it work in my pc for a day, with no results. Blender in the other hand seems to be working ok, however I don't know how to open nif files with it.

But blender can do the mesh editing I want, right?

Open the nif in nifskope, hit File> Export > Export .OBJ

Open Blender Start a new scene, go to File> Import > Wavefront (.Obj)

Make your edits

Export the mesh back to .obj

Open the original statue in Nifskope and then on a separate window open a copy of the original statue in Nifskope (for your new statue).

Remove the old statue from the copy window and import your .obj into it. Copy over all the existing branches and values from the original over to the new statue.

I don't use Blender for any serious modeling so I can't really give or point to any tutorials for it but the workflow is all the same more or less to what I use.

Honestly given your request of wanting a sexier pose (depending on how sexy) it might be better to make a new mesh rather than manipulating the statues rigid pose.

You could alternatively make a new statue mesh without much modeling experience by posing one of yours or someones female avatar, freezing the pose and exporting that, but that would require a little bit of ingenuity and an animation tool like those found in Maya or Blender. Might be a little high poly but hey the sacrifices am I right.

hi,

if you like to do such a stuff ambitiously, you could for best use 3dsm or blender as usually. And for a serious edit and body-pose change, you have to  RIG the statue with a humanoid skeleton (8-15minutes). After that is done, you can create/export lot of different poses of that statue and  create some versions of it. From the 3d-software, you can export the file back to get an NIFFILE and add suiting collision at least. You can also add attributes to the statue if you boned the mesh/hands, like swords, birds in the hands ....or any different other items.

You can of course create your own new bodymeshes/shapes as well, which can follow your "rig"/skeleton. Of course you should then use stone-texture(s).

I mostly would keep to guides for the wanted software. 

The pic showes a randomly rigged female body mesh, which can be moved into every position.

rigged female mesh.JPG

You can "rip" full scene geometry with 3D ripper DX (as obj file, works only with DirectX 9, so no SpecialEdition), import it into blender\3dmax, make some tweaks, and export as .nif.

The main advantage here is that you can adjust the character's pose and outfit right in the game, and then use this as the source to work in the 3d editor.

This is the result of what you can get if you use this method

MephalaStatue.nif

Rough statue of Mephala, with vanilla "rock" textures, was made in about 20-30 minutes, including "ingame" posing.

Still many things that can be improved, but for such a short time spent on work, it's not bad, I think.

Archived