issues with mods, need help

As you are using mod organizer, this makes things easier to diagnose.  When you load the game after updating to the most recent Script Extender, are there errors when the game won't load?  If a mod requires a specific version of F4SE, there is generally a pop-up error when the game is launched from Mod Organizer indicating it is out of date.

Or do you get past that check and the game crashes at or before the main menu?  If it's the latter, try creating a fresh MO2 profile and load only the game and launch F4SE from it.  This will test if F4SE is updated correctly.  If that works, add half your mods to the load order and test those.  If it works, try the other half.  If one of the halves fails, half the half, and so on, until you can narrow it down to the mod that is offending.

Once you determine which mod it is, load everything but that one to confirm - then see if that mod has had any recent updates (like F4SE compatibility).

Just had similar problem with skyrim se. Ugggg. think i fixed it by adding my skse loader as a new non-steam game and it worked. only took me a few weeks of dead ends til finally came across a post. might give it a try. Sorry I dont have a link to give you but it was on steam somewhere.

bottom left addgame (non-steam)

it will bring up the search box

find your f4se....click....enter.

Hope this helps

FO4 runtime recently updated again to support some additional Creation Club content.  When this happened, the F4SE plugin required an update.  They are usually pretty fast in updating F4SE, sometimes same day, most times within a day or two.  Once F4SE is updated, then the mod authors using F4SE must then update their mods to support the new runtime, and so on.  

So in reality, you could be waiting from at least a few hours/1 day up to a week, depending on how many mods you have that use F4SE.  There are two ways to solve this:

Don't allow Steam to auto-update Fallout 4 (or Skyrim SE) OR keep the fallout4.exe files as back-ups from the previous version.  (the latter is what I do).  When Fallout4.exe updates, and I get the F4SE warning, I can rollback the .exe to the previous version manually - so that the game at least runs, while the mod authors update their stuff.

Works every time ;) 

The world as you knew it has changed ;)  I remember renting games from the local video story on cartridge for the NES - but's going back a ways ;)  Speaking of that, I haven't bought a game on any physical media in.... it has to be about 3-4 years.  Even for the consoles, everything is available online now.  GameStop and stores like them must be taking a huge hit.

okay. so. I've tried to run the game without mod organizer at all, worked fine. then with only F4SE through mod organizer, didn't work at all. The problem is when I start the game, the screen turns black, like it's supposed to when you start a game, and then the game just shuts down again instantly, and I get placed back at mod organizer.i don't get any error messages, no sounds, nothing. just a black screen for 2 seconds, and then it shuts the game of again.

So, for now I Have narrowed it down to being either Mod Organizer or F4SE. 

But the mod organizer 2 has been working fine for a long time.

Archived