Anyone play XCOM:UFO Defence when they were younger?

Luna_Natsume

When I was a Sophmore in Highschool, I spent a summer in Newport (Oregon Coast) with my friends. We were looking through a bargain bin at a little family owned video store, and found NOTHING interesting... then my buddy Lee found a playstation game called XCOM:UFO Defence. It was only $10 so just because there was NOTHING else but sports games, we picked it up.

24 hours later, we were STILL playing the game. We hadn't slept or left the house, and only stopped to go to the bathroom. Seriously, this game was rediculous addictive. I was talking about it with my buddies a few days ago and they told me to go to this site: XCOM

I nearly cried with joy upon seeing this. It was like digital euphoria... like nachos, sex, and a hot shower all rolled into one: Pure bliss. I watched all the trailers, downloaded the demo and it's EXACTLY like the original, only prettier and more streamlined. Just plain sexier. I have already pre-ordered a copy, and am waiting eagerly for the 9th.

Anyone else share my joy?

Yes, it was an excellent game for its time. It hasn't aged all that well, but I still have fun when I play it every so often.

I still have it' date=' brought the entire lot on Steam during a sell. Just which they would make a new one.

[/quote']

They are making a new one, it's called "Xcom Enemy Unknown", there's a demo on steam right now.

Taken directly of Steam

Key Features

Strategy Evolved: XCOM: Enemy Unknown couples tactical turn-based gameplay with incredible action sequences and on-the-ground combat.

Strategic Base: Recruit, customize and grow unique soldiers and manage your personnel. Detect and intercept the alien threat as you build and expand your XCOM headquarters.

Tactical Combat: Direct soldier squads in turn-based ground battles and deploy air units such as the Interceptor and Skyranger.

Worldwide Threat: Combat spans the globe as the XCOM team engages in over 70 unique missions, interacting and negotiating with governments around the world.

The same style as the rest by the looks of it.

No sir' date=' this one is team based strategy! They have TWO new xcom games. The one I linked is just like the original!

EDIT:

For clarifications sake, this is the RTS version: XCOM ENEMY UNKNOWN

And this is the FPS version: XCOM

Making a shooter out of it sounds kind of silly to me. Then again EA did manage to make a shooter out of syndicate so im not surprised...

isn´t RTS = Real Time Strategy? :P

Taken directly of Steam

Key Features

Strategy Evolved: XCOM: Enemy Unknown couples tactical turn-based gameplay with incredible action sequences and on-the-ground combat.

Strategic Base: Recruit' date=' customize and grow unique soldiers and manage your personnel. Detect and intercept the alien threat as you build and expand your XCOM headquarters.

Tactical Combat: Direct soldier squads in turn-based ground battles and deploy air units such as the Interceptor and Skyranger.

Worldwide Threat: Combat spans the globe as the XCOM team engages in over 70 unique missions, interacting and negotiating with governments around the world.

The same style as the rest by the looks of it.

[/quote']

I actually played the demo (from Firaxis, the turn-based one). I was quite surprised how well they kept some of that old school spirit.

But then again I was always a sucker :) for turn based strategy (jagged alliance, orignal XCOM, XCOM TFTD, heroes of might and magic, to name a few)

I played Terror From The Deep before I played Enemy Unknown (or UFO Defense as it was also known)

I still play it occasionally these days (both of them) and I disagree they haven't aged well, that's like saying Doom hasn't aged well. You can't really compare old style games by today's graphical standards, but you can by pretty much else.

In a lot of ways, they don't make them like they used to. Turn-based for example, I miss FO1 and FO2. I miss even reading the text. X-COM had all of that, and was incredibly addictive. You could basically play it forever as long as you didn't go on the last mission.

Anyone try playing either on superhuman? There's a challenge.

I'm safely guarding my enthusiasm about the new game though, although I have no idea how they managed to convince the publisher to make it turn based; a risk move these days. Let's see!

• 2 weeks later...

What I don't like about the new game is it seems you can only have a max of six X-COM agents and it looks like it really pushes a cover system instead of stances and overwatch.

Once I get paid I plan on getting X-COM: Apocalypse off of Steam' date=' that was always my favorite.

[/quote']

Really? I could never get into it. I don't know, it just never "felt" right for me. I'm just in the middle of a classic XCOM UFO Defense game right now. I was telling Bruce Wayne how I started on Superhuman (I always play on hardest) with no saves. First mission came, lost all men and ship. Easily 3mil down the drain. Bought them all again. Second mission came, night time. Brilliant. Second ship and crew lost. End of month, everybody pulls out funding, I'm in the negative. Second month I see a reverse, get enough sells to make a profit, start researching lasers and armour. A few more missions, end of month, positive, more money, fully armed squad with lasers and armour. Top of the world right now.

Third month comes along. Base invaded by aliens. Twenty aliens killed. Mind control begins. XCOM personnel slaughtered to the last man. Earth surrenders.

Right on my second play-through now, and its going a lot better. I can't say I like the idea of only having 6 men to play with (I liked how utterly expendable soldiers were in the originals) and also the fact there is no random map generator. I've already heard of people running into repetitive maps, and its only been out what, a week?

They don't make them like they used to...

Archived