Does Skyrim SE really use 16+GB of RAM?

Fixadent

2 hours ago, jimmywon34 said:

what about vram in SSE? I have 6gb, i'm already at 5.3 in the area I checked, could be higher in other areas idk. I haven't even installed any texture overhauls except for character/npc skin and meshes.

here's vanilla skyrim

180102115135515374.jpg

of course you can run it fine on a crappy laptop that have 2 gb... it barely use 1gb

here's an performance hungry skyrim

180102115135590681.jpg

bodies are 4k, there's 3 for females, 2 for males, draugr dragon dwemer are 4k too

landscapes, mountains, caves are 4k...

armors, clutters and the other small stuff is 2k

it barely use 6gb

that don't mean you are fine if you have more than 6gb

if skyrim use 5gb, windows 1.5gb, you don't have 1.5gb left, because of windows cache crap

180102120026254475.jpg

no purple texture, ram isn't full, game didn't crash

it's windows that ask to close skyrim to free some ram (for his cache crap)

if you don't free ram for that crap... windows may just take it from something without asking (enbhost above...)

On 24.4.2017 at 1:54 AM, Fixadent said:

According to this video, it shows that Skyrim special edition is using ~16GB of system memory, which I've never seen any game do before.

I'm in the process of building a new gaming PC, should I buy 32GB instead of 16GB?

Whether you should buy 16 or 32 depends on which ram you use, ddr3 ddr4 and how fast you want it. 

I use 32 gb ddr3@2600mhz and it's totally wasted, most of the time my system doesn't pass 11gb. Can use it for ramdisks and other stuff.

Get 16gb ddr4 and you're good to go

i'm pretty sure vanilla sse uses more vram than what you've said. perhaps you're talking oldrim? the vids on YT I've seen to compare to my own experience, one person was using a 980 and was using already 2.6 vram in the opening scene on the cart. had stated no mods were installed. idk though, you could be right, the vram minimum requirements on steam says 1gb-2 and recommend 3-4gb. all I know is if msi afterburner is anything to go off i'm already using now 5.5 gb vram already with around 60 mods, no big texture overhauls, no big gameplay overhauls, except for npcs textures and wondering if that's normal? I've installed my enb and lighting and weather mods and npc overhauls, grass and water, and a few gameplay mods, armor replacers and a couple player homes so far.

Transient measurements like that really don’t tell you anything except perhaps an upper bound.

Open world games like Skyrim are going to cache as much as possible, whether it’s currently needed or not. It reduces loading times, or frame rate hickups etc etc.

Just looking at how much memory it’s using is not going to be indicative of how much memory it needs.

imhave 32GB in my primary gaming box, but it’s rarely if ever actually used outside of OS caches, or when I run multiple VMs.

• 2 weeks later...

I got have an 8 gig and the game runs beautifully, and I run over 150 mods on ultra graphics,  it hardly ever crashes, and if it does its due to mod conflicts, I even have the over-populated cities mods, and see no lag in game play.  If you are just wanting to play the game, and not some super-nerd needing like 5 monitors. Then a simple 8 will do fine.

• 5 months later...
On 4/27/2017 at 10:17 AM, khumak said:

Well in my case, I wanted to stick to a budget when building my new computer.  So it was a choice between 16GB and a good video card or 32GB and a crappy video card.  1st option was the clear winner IMO.  I do have Windows on an SSD but it's really only big enough for Windows and 1 other significant app.  I usually install everything on my HD.  I usually upgrade every 7 years or so.  Video card sometimes gets an upgrade sooner if I can get a good one for less than $150.

The cpu, graphics card, and memory are the key factors when it comes to game.  Any 1 of those can hurt you in so many ways. Just make sure when you finally do upgrade build a system with a good cpu (doesn't have to be the newest, something for now like a I7 7700 would be more than enough).  When you settle on the GPU, before you buy one compare benchmark tests of each and weigh your decision before buying.  Just to point this out was looking at sever laptops, each was nice in it's own way.  1 had a 8750 cpu and 1050 TI 4gb and other with 7700 and 1060 6gb.  While the cpu would have been nice I would have suffered on average a 40% loss in performance had I chose the 1050 TI.  16GB of memory will work just fine, but if possible buy a single stick of 16 not 2 sticks of 8, that will make upgrading later on allot cheaper.  

And just because you mentioned it, a very important part of gaming (not top of the list, but up there) is an SSD.  SSD's are very cheap now, a samsung 250gb is only like $75, cheap mushkin is like $54.  The gaming performance of an ssd is well worth it. MUST have item for all intensive games.

I chose this for same reason after allot of researching and digging through forums and reviews, money vs performance.  Not the best but still nice for $1209.

ASUS GL703VM-WB71

7th Gen I7 770HQ 2.8 Ghz cpu ( 3.8 Ghz Turbo)

GTX 1060 6Gb

16GB ram (expandible to 32)

256 Gb samsung 860 EVO m.2 3d nand

1 Tb Firecuda Hybrid 5400 rpm drive (which I'm gonna replace with a 500 GB samsung 860 EVO pro)

17.3" 120 hz screen

Should have put this in too, but I'm upgrading from this that I'm still using right now to play games on high to ultra settings depending on the game. Skyrim with 120+ mods (without ENB's) in Ultra fullscreen 1920x1080, Planetside 2 high 1920x1080, State of Decay 2 1920x1080 highest, Fallout 4 1920x1080 High( ultra drops my fps too low cause I use tons of mods).

ASUS ROG G750jm

I7 4700hq cpu

gtx 860 2gb

250 GB Samsung 860 SSD (windows and basic installs not games)

500 GB Samsung 860 pro SSD (games drive)

Archived