hkxcmd blender gui

gsll

This modder tool is branching from skyrim nif data anim utils, a very inspiring work.

hkxcmd is a compulsary step for Blender Modders.

It allows to turn hkx binary animation files into kf animation files that can be imported with blender 2.49 nif blender plugin.

and further processed in blender 2.7x, then exported back from blender 2.49 as kf file and again processed through hkxcmd.

With the ongoing work from vpoteryaev, we can expect blender 2.7x plugin for animation.

Up to now, you add to run hkxcmd from the command prompt or from a batch file.

hkxcmd blender gui is a Graphical User Interface that allow to use hkcmd from blender and improve the workflow.

This GUI is added to blender running a blender script that creates the new panel here after.

It works with blender 2.7x but considering the code it might work also for 2.6x (not tested) and even 2.5x (not tested either).

post-151375-0-37080000-1489204351_thumb.png

This panel allows to browse for the files and run hkxcmd from blender.

It allows to perform the following conversion :

- hkx animation file -> kf animation file (ahkx -> kf),

- hkx animation file -> hkx xml animation file (ahkx -> akhx xml),

- hkx xml animation file -> hkx animation file (ahkx xml -> ahkx),

- kf animation file + skeleton animation file -> hkx animation file (ahkx + shkx -> kf).

About exporting kf files to hkx, in the default option, hkcmd export all the bones up to the camera bone index for vanilla.

A '-s' switch seems to allow to export all bones past the camera bone.

See this post

As this is simply a gui, you need to download hkxcmd.exe separately.

hkxcmd is available here

hkxcmd.exe is supposed to be in the same directory as your blender file.

hkxcmd_blender_gui_V0_3.txt

The GUI is created by the blender script above,

download the script from the web page,

open the script in the blender text editor

run the script,

you get the new panel added in the tool section

further use is intituive enough

Note : hkxcmd.exe is supposed to be in the same directory as your blender file.

hkxcmd is available here

Still needs testing, polishing and advices.

I haven't made it yet as a plugin.

if the hkxcmd blender gui gets downloaded, I may push the work further and turn it into an add-on with hkxcmd embedded.

change log :

V0.1 : blender hkx gui

V0.2 : added the -s switch

V0.3 : no new functionality - code refactoring - bug fix

Best regards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded it and may do some testing later when I have time. It appears that it may be a very useful tool, but I'm still a knewb with this stuff so I have to wait and see.

Maybe I should try using it first before asking questions, but I'm going to ask anyways.

I just started animating with blender (with successful results so far) and I've been using Anton's animation tools (his N3 setup). His file comes with a pre-made blender file with a skeleton and mesh already imported. The thing is, I don't believe I can import animations to preview them with this setup, so any animations I make, I have to do without a reference. This makes it more difficult when trying to sync walking/running animations.

Does your script allow importing animations into blender with the script? I see the feature "convert to kf" when an animation hkx file is selected. If not, does this convert the vanilla animations to a kf file that can be imported into blender?

I was previously using 3DS max until my 2012 license expired and I don't see how to renew it, so I'm re-learning Blender stuff. Your scripts don't have the feature to import skyrims skeletons and meshes directly do they? Does that still need to be done through using NIFSkope to OBJ, then obj into Blender or has that been updated?

As for the other features of your script, is this all in regards to converting the files in blender, or is it converting files outside of blender for use in blender? (like the convert kf to hxk option in the script etc.)

Anyways, I'll be messing around with your script regardless to see if I can get things working. I'd like to be able to animate more and any tools to ease the process of importing/exporting will makes things much better!

Bubbajones_ya,

Many questions.

First of all, it is just a interface. The job gets done by hkxcmd.exe outside of blender.

This tool does exactly what hkxcmd does (for further information, see first post or hkxcmd description)

The script is only a step towards importing anymation in blender.

Atm, It seems an animation import still requires blender 2.49b (current blender version is 2.78 and scripts are highly incompatible).

So, you need two installs of blender to work.

The workflow should be something like that :

Convert hkx to kf animation file with hkxcmd (either from command line or using the blender gui).

Use Blender 2.49 with blender nif scripts (see here for a detailed approach)

Import kf animation file on the corresponding NIF skeleton.

Save your file. Close Blender 2.49.

Open your file in blender 2.78.

Make your animation.

Export your animation as a kf file with Skyrim nif data animation utils.

Use a hkx skeleton and your kf animation file to make a hkx animation file through hkxcmd.

Import in game with FNIS.

There are alternate possibilities with blender 2.78 and 2.49 at some steps.

Best regards

Bubbajones_ya,

Many questions.

First of all, it is just a interface. The job gets done by hkxcmd.exe outside of blender.

This tool does exactly what hkxcmd does (for further information, see first post or hkxcmd description)

The script is only a step towards importing anymation in blender.

Atm, It seems an animation import still requires blender 2.49b (current blender version is 2.78 and scripts are highly incompatible).

So, you need two installs of blender to work.

The workflow should be something like that :

Convert hkx to kf animation file with hkxcmd (either from command line or using the blender gui).

Use Blender 2.49 with blender nif scripts (see here for a detailed approach)

Import kf animation file on the corresponding NIF skeleton.

Save your file. Close Blender 2.49.

Open your file in blender 2.78.

Make your animation.

Export your animation as a kf file with Skyrim nif data animation utils.

Use a hkx skeleton and your kf animation file to make a hkx animation file through hkxcmd.

Import in game with FNIS.

There are alternate possibilities with blender 2.78 and 2.49 at some steps.

Best regards

Thanks for the info!

I do have 2.49 and 2.78 installed as of now, so I'll have to get used to working between the two to look over stock animations. Once I follow the workflow a few times and get it working, it seems like it should be fairly simple to do.

As for the Blender GUI script, it is convenient to be able to do that with the click of a button instead of having to type the command out in the command prompt! I haven't had a chance to use your script yet, but I'm sure it will come in handy when I do get around to messing with some more animations!

Archived