Have the forum rules changed? Stuff is deleted that used to not

Guest Vendayn

Guest Vendayn

Maybe its just cause I never uploaded too many mods. And I've never been too active on these forums until recently. But, I posted KS hairdos here, the one that can't be found anymore (KS hairdos 400). Before that, I posted a fallout 4 mod called shadbase hentai overhaul.

Now, the issue with those? I guess they used copyrighted content or something.

However, I often see copyrighted content being posted all the time on these forums (or I used to anyway). There was the sims hair pack that was posted here, and that was fine. And there are lots of armor/clothing mods that are posted, that are obviously copyrighted content from other games. I also see fallout 4 mods being used from Skyrim, and Bethesda has a hard stance on not using assets from previous games.

Am I missing something? It feels like I'm being targeted for some reason (but obviously that is a 0.1 chance, mods very rarely target someone lol (it has happened to people in other games though)), since the stuff I post isn't any different than anyone elses. Or at least what I used to see posted

Is there a rule on NO content from other games at all, to be posted here? So no armors from any other game can be posted at all? I definitely remember that wasn't how it used to be, since I often saw people post stuff like that. But I haven't really noticed that recently, or I just haven't looked.

And yes, I have looked through the rules. And read through them multiple times. But don't see anything different from before, unless I'm just blind lol

(edit: and to add..)

I remember a while back, I'd ask for a mod that I couldn't find or a mod on a russian (or chinese) website to be uploaded. And it would be posted, and that was fine. That is no different than what I did lol. And heck, someone recently re-uploaded World of Rudra for Skyrim (from 3dm site) in the skyrim looking for mod thread (would need to look for exact name)...and that is definitely what I did with my two mods that I re-uploaded, but mine were deleted and his post wasn't? Unless the mods didn't see the person who re-uploaded it?

That is the part really confusing me.

The rules haven't changed - it just took us a while to get a handle on how to enforce them efficiently.

The basics are that we simply follow copyright rules. If you upload content that isn't yours, you either have permission or you don't. We don't have the time to inspect every upload, but if something grabs our attention or is reported, it's up to the uploader in such cases to be able to prove they have permission, whether granted on an individual basis or by a general statement/license from the author. If you can't prove this when asked, or in cases where it's obvious you can't, the upload is removed. This is for files uploaded to the file system as well as stuff attached to posts. It applies to entire mod re-uploads, or mods containing content lifted from other mods as well as from 'official' content. It applies whether or not the original authors are credited, or whether their own download page on whatever site has been removed. You're either allowed or you're not - we don't do the allowing or forbidding when it's not our own copyright, after all.

However, I often see copyrighted content being posted all the time on these forums (or I used to anyway). There was the sims hair pack that was posted here, and that was fine. And there are lots of armor/clothing mods that are posted, that are obviously copyrighted content from other games. I also see fallout 4 mods being used from Skyrim, and Bethesda has a hard stance on not using assets from previous games.

It'd be a delusion to say that LL is 100% squeaky clean when it comes to unauthorized content, but then, which site is that allows the public to upload things. But just because stuff has slipped through the cracks over time doesn't give people permission to upload more. Content uploaded against the wishes of the author(s) is simply content we haven't caught yet. In some cases maybe we never will - inspecting every single asset of every mod here by comparing it to every single asset of every mod and game in existence anywhere is after all an undertaking we're not equipped for. But you never know either. Maybe we spot something, maybe something gets reported. It's best to be on the safe side and make sure before you upload.

On a specific note, the KS hairdo mod was a combo of both copyright and the original mod authors request to have it removed.

As to targeting, who has the time or energy?  With 100k plus members and only 5 volunteer moderators, that are only online a hour each day (if that), we don't have time to be policemen, let alone try to focus on one person.  All 5 of us are also modders, so we do what we have to and hurry back to our dark and dank laboratories to cook up some more deliciously vile mods (or fix those that have turned all soft and cuddly......yuk!!!).   :P

Cheers,

Greg

I have no better words that @DoctaSax and said.

I am very often active on the mod during my day, but I still need time to help other people to do mods, and do mods myself. And try to do new stuff that are not yet done.

And yes. We are not a "Totalitarian" site. If we receive an alert, we act quickly. But checking what is around, it is done when possible.

• 4 weeks later...

On a specific note, the KS hairdo mod was a combo of both copyright and the original mod authors request to have it removed.

As to targeting, who has the time or energy?  With 100k plus members and only 5 volunteer moderators, that are only online a hour each day (if that), we don't have time to be policemen, let alone try to focus on one person.  All 5 of us are also modders, so we do what we have to and hurry back to our dark and dank laboratories to cook up some more deliciously vile mods (or fix those that have turned all soft and cuddly......yuk!!!).   :P

Cheers,

Greg

I loved this post, kudos!

Edit. Gosh I dint realise I was posting in a quiet thread.

Anyhoo I think the scene can be a little too nice/respective of modders feelings, but it its 100% (if not 1000%)necessary and right to be so.

Without modders, mere mortals like myself and TC are useless and bereft. We get mods(mostlly) for free! That is amaaaazing! So even if an INDIVIDUAL case a mod author is being a difficult dick regarding copyright or whatever, we still, as a consuming public, have 800%  more FREE contentt han we paid for. That's amazing, and the modders that devolp this stuff. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

So while on an emotional level, I agree (why restrict X over Y) rationally. I know why it has to be. Restricting X gives the platform and comfort for ABCDEFGHIJKLMONPQRSTUVW to be published. As a mod consumer I'm so thankful and appreciative of this.

In regards to TC's opening post. Lover's lab is now pretty mainstream. Mentioned in the same breath as a the Nexus as a mod repository (YAY). As a result, it's moderation standards have improved equally. That's cool and expected. If you want to discuss dodgier stuff, try a dodgier site. :)

Archived