Creation Kit ; GetInCell

Jmathers

Does any one have any good reference or examples for

GetInCell.

the creation kit site.. as allways is lacking at best.

I made a simple Get in cell, for a quest, to look for either actor A OR B.

and it keeps saying "0.00" (not there / dead)

I even went in the cell, and then triggered the quest. and I looked at the NPC and it still came up with "0.00" (dead or not there)

with the right cell defined, and the actor defined aswell.

I know, I'm missing something, but I can't recall what

The only thing I can find has been commented out in pAventusScript.

Scriptname pAventusScript extends ReferenceAlias  

Quest Property pDB01  Auto  
Quest Property DarkBrotherhoodQuest  Auto  
Scene Property pAventusSacramentScene  Auto  
Location Property pWindhelmAretinoResidence  Auto  

;Event OnInit()
;GetActorRef().RegisterForUpdate(1)
;EndEvent

Event OnUpdate()

;This controls Aventus Aretino doing the Black Sacrament
;if ( GetStage DB01 < 10 )
if pDB01.GetStage () < 10
	;if ( Player.GetInCell WindhelmAretinoResidence == 1 )
	if Game.GetPlayer().IsInLocation(pWindhelmAretinoResidence) == 1
		;if ( DarkBrotherhood.BlackSacrament == 0 )
		DarkBrotherhood DBScript = DarkBrotherhoodQuest as DarkBrotherhood
		If DBScript.BlackSacrament == 0
			;StartScene AventusSacramentScene
			pAventusSacramentScene.Start()
			;Set DarkBrotherhood.BlackSacrament to 1
			DBScript.BlackSacrament = 1
		endif
	endif
endif

EndEvent

Seems like IsInLocation (GetInLocation or GetIsEditorLoc) might be a better choice, or possibly GetInSameCell, depending on what you're doing.

I've used GetInCell quite a lot for dialogue condtions and never had any problems with it. I also use GetParentCell to do checks outside of dialogues to compare with the player current cell.

I'm not sure either would work reliably on a reference if they were not in a cell currently loaded or the actual cell the player currently resides in (can't recall if I ever tried to do that).

well, I'm trying to make my mod compatible for the civil war line,

my quest is up and running and completed, but I need to accomidate the stewards what change locations.

so I did a 

Get in Cell  = falkreath long house. (w/e the cell name is)

and then to check if "nenya" OR "Tekla" is in the cell.

and then place a marker on who ever is in the cell, as both will not be in the cell at the same time, while the quest is triggered.

and it needs to do that before the player is in the cell.

Have a look at quests with dialogueswapgovernmentaliasesscript (catchy) attached (don't edit that script :) (or any vanilla scripts :P))

In those, Bethesda have a Main and a backup alias for government positions (Jarl, Steward, HouseCarl, GuardCaptain)

When an actor is removed from government it is put in the pGovExiled faction and the above script then switches the main and backup aliases. If you just want to assign them once and not update changes you could just use the main aliases from the affected quests (I don't know what they all are, I only had to use the Riften variant and only had to match it once)

I've never really bothered with the Civil War, are there any instances where the roles reverse a second time back to the original state?

Have a look at quests with dialogueswapgovernmentaliasesscript (catchy) attached (don't edit that script :) (or any vanilla scripts :P))

In those, Bethesda have a Main and a backup alias for government positions (Jarl, Steward, HouseCarl, GuardCaptain)

When an actor is removed from government it is put in the pGovExiled faction and the above script then switches the main and backup aliases. If you just want to assign them once and not update changes you could just use the main aliases from the affected quests (I don't know what they all are, I only had to use the Riften variant and only had to match it once)

IIRC there's also a vmquestvariable that keeps track of who is the current steward/jarl/etc, but I could be wrong on that.

I've never really bothered with the Civil War, are there any instances where the roles reverse a second time back to the original state?

It is possible, if you do the main quest before the civil war quest.

During Season Unending you essentially trade around holds like so many gaming pieces, which swaps hold ownership and moves out jarls, housecarls, guard captains, and stewards. Then if you later on do the civil war, you reconquer those holds, which switches them again.

During Season Unending you essentially trade around holds like so many gaming pieces, which swaps hold ownership and moves out jarls, housecarls, guard captains, and stewards. Then if you later on do the civil war, you reconquer those holds, which switches them again.

That makes sense then, and why else have a function which periodically checks to see if it needs to force swap two aliases.

You make the whole civil war thing sound quite interesting, I wish I had time to complete it.

That makes sense then, and why else have a function which periodically checks to see if it needs to force swap two aliases.

You make the whole civil war thing sound quite interesting, I wish I had time to complete it.

The non-combat parts are interesting.

The problem is, there's a lot of very repetitive combat. I'm thinking of the various fort battles to retake holds - unlike standard fights, enemies and allies keep respawning until a certain number of enemy units are dead. You don't even actually have to participate - you can just stand back and watch the two factions duke it out, and since allies respawn infinitely and enemies respawn until the arbitrary number is reached, it gets quite tedious.

But the rest of it,  including (IIRC, it's been a while since I've done that) a couple of ambush quests, a blackmail, impersonating a courier, etc. are sort of interesting.

The problem is, there's a lot of very repetitive combat. I'm thinking of the various fort battles to retake holds - unlike standard fights, enemies and allies keep respawning until a certain number of enemy units are dead. You don't even actually have to participate - you can just stand back and watch the two factions duke it out, and since allies respawn infinitely and enemies respawn until the arbitrary number is reached, it gets quite tedious.

But the rest of it,  including (IIRC, it's been a while since I've done that) a couple of ambush quests, a blackmail, impersonating a courier, etc. are sort of interesting.

Well now you've just gone and ruined it.

Well now you've just gone and ruined it.

Sorry... not what I intended.  :(

It is worth playing, it's just got that one ugly blemish, that's all.

The fort battles are excessively tedious, but they aren't the whole story. And there are only, I think, around three or four of those? Just turn the difficulty way down, turn on god mode, and speed through them, is my advice... to get back to the meat of it.

Sorry... not what I intended.  

I was joking! Or you were.

Humour is so hard in Enlgish.

Text is a poor medium for conveying any sort of information beyond the sheer basics. Which is why we have these oh-so-useful little pictures.

:-/  :cool:  :shy:  :at:  :angel:  :@  :blush:  :s  :dodgy:  :exclamation:  :heart:  :idea:  :sleepy:  :)  ;)  :P  :D  :lol:  :(  :angry:  :mellow:  :huh:  ^_^  :o  B)  :rolleyes:  -_-  <_<  :wub:  :unsure:  :wacko:  :blink:  :ph34r:

See? Without using a single word, I just told you the story of that time I went to the beach when I was eleven years old and got sunburned.

Archived