Project FLESH - Pseudo Muscle Interaction via HDT ALPHA

blabba

Hello again!

I bring you a quick and very rough WIP (In my mind Alpha).

Normally I wouldn't release/make public something like this but I'm honestly in a busy moment in RL and cannot continue to really spend the time and effort required to refine it further for like another week or so.

So I thought it would be best that I make this topic to here some feedback from users and maybe get some help from the more experienced modders.

Basically, since the success of Belly collision and stuff some people have been wondering about the power of HDT and why not extend it to muscles/other parts of the body. Well, here's your answer.

I've attached the test skeleton, my alpha weighted CBBE BodySlideable mesh and my (thigh only) enabled hdt file that I've just been doing some preliminary testing with.

Please keep in mind that this stuff is more or less meant for at least novice modders who know how to at the bare minimum weight paint in OS and know their way around JFF somewhat decently.

I do plan on refining it to the best of my abilities when such time permits though (wanted to integrate these weights and hdt values for the HDT body v.2)

But I would be deeply thankful for any community support and would be sure to credit you! (Hell, you could take this stuff, and refine it yourself and release it under your own name if you want!)

FEATURES:

As it stands right now I've only roughly weight painted the following:

- HDT Upperarm Right and Left bone (there's a problem with too many weights in this area so that's why this one is tricky)

- HDT Calf Bone (Right and Left) I've never actually tested this in game with HDT yet though

- HDT Thigh (This is meant to be 1 bone weight for the whole thigh)

- HDT Outer Thigh (This is meant for the 'outer' portion of the thigh)

- HDT Inner Thigh (This is meant for the 'inner' portion of the thigh)

- HDT Waist (This is meant for the areas to the side of the belly paint)

As I mentioned, my current weights are atrocious and meant more as a alpha test. Feel free to edit them in OS/3DSmax/Blender

If anyone is interested in helping out and they would like a short guide on how to edit weight paints in OS to further help out, let me know I think I can probably write up a short guide on how to do it.

I also really wanted to share a demo video of the thighs pseudo jiggle (it's not too good on most animations, but whenever the player stops running or walking you get this really nice jiggle effect) but my bandwidth and computer are kinda crappy right now. I seriously need to clean out my computer, setup a better modding workflow and clean my skyrim.

Oh, and I should also play some skyrim and take a break from modding once in awhile. Those dam greybeards keep telling me to go get them this horn you see...

Actual Relevant Bone Names:

HDT L PreThigh => bone to make jiggle

HDT L Thigh => bone for weight painting

HDT R PreThigh => bone to make jiggle

HDT R Thigh => bone for weight painting

HDT R PreCalf => bone to make jiggle

HDT R Calf => bone for weight painting

HDT R PreWaist => bone to make jiggle

HDT R Waist => bone for weight painting

HDT R PreUpperArm => bone to make jiggle

HDT R UpperArm => bone for weight painting

HDT L PreOuterThigh => jiggle

HDT L OuterThigh => painting

HDT R PreOuterThigh => jiggle

HDT R OuterThigh => painting

ISSUES:

- Their are mesh seam gaps around the neck, hands and possibly the feet. Easily fixable and if you know how to get rid of the lockseam sliders and small seam slider via xml editing, you can remove this problem. (I was just too lazy to do it myself really)

- The bounce kit only contains the data for thigh enabled jiggle. If you want to add calf/waist/upperarm jiggle just add the bone data, select a motion object the weight paint/muscle is most likely to reflect in a simplified physics universe, take a guess on the shapes (or copy the shape data from the default ragdoll) add the Pre-bone as a keyframe object, have it set to the same exact shape as the normal bone. Add a new constraint between the pre-bone and the bone.

- The 4 weights per vertex is a hard coded limitation of the engine. It states that not more than 4 weights may act on a given vertex at the same time. So don't enable the thigh jiggle and the Outer thigh + Inner thigh jiggle all at the same time. (If it's not animated or used at the same time then the paints are fine even if there's more than 4, at least from my half-assed testing someone more experienced can tell better than I)

- There's probably more but I really am exhausted right now, I'll get back at this whole modding thing later...

Credits:

Groovtama - His/Her Work on making the custom skeleton

Vioxsis - His/Her Work on helping out with the Original HDT Body weight paints

Canderes - Helping/Sharing his 3DSMax ragdoll files which let me pull up some rough thigh collision data (also for the video lessons xD)

blabba - some dude who just puts tweaks on other's hard work.

Project Flesh Alpha v.1.rar

You know this would be a good place to start using sliding constraints. When looking at a hinge you can make a bevel to a surface and just have a box or something simple slide parallel to that surface when pushed-some simple convex shapes since mesh type just ctd's. The source skeleton for half-life/counterstrike has bones for biceps/triceps/pector and everything else, but they never got around to including a muscle system, but I remember someone proposing a ragdoll system like this, but I don't see why you couldn't use it here.

That is really neat. Having a slider at each end of the muscle and in the center (slide with a spring) would likely be the most accurate thing so it is exactly like that. They turned off the.gif due to bandwidth. I'm going to look at it some more and see if any of this can be used ingame.

O.o

Wasn't able to look at the demo gif or video yet (low bandwidth issues on my part), look at it when i'm back home though ^^

But hopefully the more knowledgeable guys out there will take a liking to the project and maybe lend a hand.

For right now I'm just modifying the weights to be more appropriate, and am only tweaking Candere's rigid body rig t=for the skeleton so I can get the correct values for the rigid bodies in xml form.

As for arm bones :/, I'll see and do more tests with the weight paints in that area to see if there's a way to get the space (Or maybe if I'm lucky enough a bigger expert out there can help me on this :D )

Yeah all I did was add a bone for each slide, but they were parallel to the arm. If the shape of the bodies is giving you a hard time switch over to boxes or just use the capsules and apply edit poly over the tapercapsule/box. I collapse edit poly over the bottom of the stack and just edit it like a regular model. Switch the shape over to convex type but try to keep the shape simple because convex will wrap at corners, so you can't have openings and dents in the middle of the model. 

Hi, im at work right now so I cant try out anything but, have you tried to use a prismatic constraint to "imitate" an IK solver? I think it could work (if HDT recognizes that constraint)

hehe, nope, I'm a huge noob when it comes to 3DS Max, the only constraints I've played with inside 3DS max was a chain and ball and socket constraints, those were more for me to test and see if I could find their xml data and correctly translate it to an existing hdt.xml file (which worked if you were wondering :) )

So my initial assumption leads me to believe that the hdt.Dll correctly handles all the havok tools constraints correctly in game barring a few known bugs. Now I just need to learn enough about max to make these things lol.

I didn't mean to use prism constraint for anything other than sliding caused by collision. The only problem the plugin has I think is with the mesh type, but wheel and prism constraints haven't been used. I know fixed constraints work fine, but it makes more sense to just use keyframe on RB bound to a bone. 

Nice, prism works, and seems like it gives good results ^^

Btw, you could use also a stiff spring aligned to the end of the arm to control the biceps, so when the arm relaxs, the spring will pull down the bicep just like a tendon.

I didn't mean to use prism constraint for anything other than sliding caused by collision. The only problem the plugin has I think is with the mesh type, but wheel and prism constraints haven't been used. I know fixed constraints work fine, but it makes more sense to just use keyframe on RB bound to a bone. 

I'm busy right now when I get the time tomorrow I will add such a setup to the modders resource skeleton. With the video it shouldn't take long.^^

One thing you can do to make the bulge come out more is tilt the sliding constraint out about 10-15 degrees. The sliding as it was in the video did move the skin on the mesh up and down on the bicep but if you want the bulge of the arm to come out slightly tilt it away from the parent a few degrees.

Had a play around and fixed up the seams etc, this is quite past alpha mate it's a brilliant idea. I also added it to the list of bodies you have for your HDT sliders so its very customisable. You should put it up on your HDT body page!

Had a play around and fixed up the seams etc, this is quite past alpha mate it's a brilliant idea. I also added it to the list of bodies you have for your HDT sliders so its very customisable. You should put it up on your HDT body page!

Thanks man!

Wasn't sure how well this would work out considering that I wasn't able to test all the physics out yet. I'll definitely be trying to improve it and add it to the HDT body when I get the chance (working on completing a new body for HDT Body first)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived