Directions for DDS Files/Adding Gloss (for Skin) via Photoshop

Digitus

I've been searching around the net for various answers but now I'm trying to put the information together so I can edit a texture file to be a little more glossy. Not the metallic glossy from GlossTech or just a sweaty look but rather an oiled look. From researching, I read a bunch of different methods including using NifSkope (which I downloaded and figured out) enb tweaks and Photoshop. I did the first two so now I'd like help on the last one. 

Making it short:

-I know "black is dark, white is glossy" but I'd like clarification. PS is still downloading on this comp as I type this out so I wont be able to open up the file and figure this all out on my own til I get back from the Dr's office. 

-What exactly is an alpha anyway? And is the term out dated?

-What file types should I be messing around with in both NifSkope and Photoshop? Like, do I modify both the body_1.dds and the msn.dds or would that be redundant/cause errors?

I've got plenty of Photoshop experience but basically no modding experience but this information might wind up setting me down the path (I've got the tools). Any help is appreciated, I'll be checking on this thread on my phone while I'm out.

(PS- if this is the wrong section then my apologies, it just seemed like the most appropriate place)

-What file types should I be messing around with in both NifSkope and Photoshop? Like, do I modify both the body_1.dds and the msn.dds or would that be redundant/cause errors?

The texture that determines glossiness is the specular map, so you want to work on the _s.dds file.

-I know "black is dark, white is glossy" but I'd like clarification.

This is correct. The lighter you make the specular map, the more shiny it becomes, and vice versa.

As far as oiliness vs. metallic shine is concerned, I'm not actually sure how much you can influence that by modifying textures. I think it has more to do with modifying the mesh and/or ENB settings, but I'm not an authority on that by any means.

Hope that helps a little.

The texture that determines glossiness is the specular map, so you want to work on the _s.dds file.

-I know "black is dark, white is glossy" but I'd like clarification.

This is correct. The lighter you make the specular map, the more shiny it becomes, and vice versa.

As far as oiliness vs. metallic shine is concerned, I'm not actually sure how much you can influence that by modifying textures. I think it has more to do with modifying the mesh and/or ENB settings, but I'm not an authority on that by any means.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks that does help. I saw in this thread http://www.loverslab.com/topic/3000-what-is-skyrims-normal-map-file-for-the-body/ the person was looking for the normal map file of the body to edit with an alpha channel (found more resources on those, but they're mostly by people trying to make things transparent rather than the opposite). 

I'll try messing with a specular map first and see what that gets me.

-I know "black is dark, white is glossy" but I'd like clarification. PS is still downloading on this comp as I type this out so I wont be able to open up the file and figure this all out on my own til I get back from the Dr's office. 

I've got plenty of Photoshop experience but basically no modding experience but this information might wind up setting me down the path (I've got the tools). Any help is appreciated, I'll be checking on this thread on my phone while I'm out.

(PS- if this is the wrong section then my apologies, it just seemed like the most appropriate place)

-Black actually determines how matte a surface is.

-Alpha maps are a black and white texture that the game engine uses for a variety of purposes.  Depending on what map the alpha is embedded in, it'll determine where surfaces of an object are transparent/opaque or how shiny/matte the surface is.

-None of the female body textures should have an alpha map.  Although, if you do, it won't break anything so long as the alpha map is entirely white (white is opaque, black is transparent)

-Black actually determines how matte a surface is.

-Alpha maps are a black and white texture that the game engine uses for a variety of purposes.  Depending on what map the alpha is embedded in, it'll determine where surfaces of an object are transparent/opaque or how shiny/matte the surface is.

-None of the female body textures should have an alpha map.  Although, if you do, it won't break anything so long as the alpha map is entirely white (white is opaque, black is transparent)

Ah okay that makes sense. So right now I have a s.dds file open in photoshop. It's 1 layer and it's all black, do I only add an alpha in the channels tab or do I also need to change the "background" primary layer in some way?

I changed a random s.dds file from one of the skin mods out there to all white and it made my character shine like sheet of metal in the sun (turning off my enb lessened the effect but it was still to extreme. 

I've been searching around the net for various answers but now I'm trying to put the information together so I can edit a texture file to be a little more glossy. Not the metallic glossy from GlossTech or just a sweaty look but rather an oiled look. From researching, I read a bunch of different methods including using NifSkope (which I downloaded and figured out) enb tweaks and Photoshop. I did the first two so now I'd like help on the last one. 

Making it short:

I didn't read the other replies.

On the diffuse texture (that's the main "skin" of an object) the alpha channel is used to determine opacity. The darker the value, the more transparent it will be.

On the normal map (For Gamebryo and other engines, but NOT Unity), the alpha channel is for the specular map. Darker is more matte, and brighter is more light reflective.

No, the term is not outdated.

File types with their _ extensions:

TextureName with no extension or _d is Diffuse

If no transparency is needed, save as DXT1RGB

If the diffuse texture requires an alpha channel, for most modern game engines (exclude Morrowind, which requires specific DXT settings for specific models *can be edited*) go ahead and save as DXT5ARGB since the difference in file size between DXT3 and DXT5 is negligible.

TextureName with _n is the normal map

This used to be just a grayscale bump map using height values of dark = deep and light = height. When it was changed to effect normals, it essentially put 3D glasses of red and green onto the bump maps.

It reads red and green for the pixel offset for height.

The alpha channel of the normal map is the specular map, as explained above.

Do not make separate specular map textures for Skyrim, as they are completely unnecessary, UNLESS dealing with character skin textures. In this case, the specular map needs to be separate.

If a normal map doesn't have an alpha channel, the item it works on will be uniformly shiny all over.

Save as DXT5ARGB except for _msn as explained below.

TextureName with _s is the specular map used for character skins.

This is essentially the same thing that you would find as the alpha channel of a normal map, but separated for character skins.

Save as DXT1RGB

TextureName with _msn is the normal map for character skins.

Be careful when editing the defaults for Skyrim. These are done via level of detail normal mapping techniques (baking, or render to texture tools in Max) using a light dome in conjunction with a high poly model used for the details onto a low poly model. Note that their normal appearance is very different from a sword or a barrel.

TO AVOID BLOCKY TEXTURES, these should be saved as RGB8x24 (it says 8,8,8 RGB 24 bpp unsigned).

The _msn textures are the ONLY maps that should EVER be saved in this bloated, uncompressed format.

In all reality, they should be saved as DXT1RGB, but the artifacts they suffer are what caused that cube looking nose in the vanilla game.

Take care when dealing with these textures, as saving in RGB8x24 will not force an 8x power of 2 size for compression, meaning if your texture is 1024x1032, you can still save it, ending up with a useless file.

TextureName with _e _m or _em is the environment mask.

This is used for reflect maps, which use a cube map that keeps a static angle to the viewer, but warps itself around the model as you move. For these, something similar to, but not exactly the same as, the specular map is fine. For really cool effects, using a layout that is completely different from the specular is very cool too. i.e. if you use a grunge map on a piece of metal for dark, dirty spots, or rust, then set this up on your specular map, try using a completely different grunge texture on your environment mask.

_e, _m and _em should always be saved as DXT1RGB

TextureName with _sk is a surface hue/value lighting texture, as it were.

It tells the skin how, and what tint it should reflect on the skin textures. The default are a good example of someone who has been mildly sunburned, hence the reddish tint on them.

Some of the customized ones have been changed to a tan color, which gives a weird bronze hue. Some people have attempted to fix this by making them black. The best thing to do with these is leave them alone, and if you use a custom body, replace whatever _sk files that came with it using the defaults.

I like to completely desaturate my cats for the game (making all textures gray), so I have to set up a set of _sk textures which are also desaturated for them, otherwise their fur looks sunburned lol.

_sk files should always be saved as DXT1RGB

Mipmaps:

Mips were originally developed to replace the full sized texture at a ratio of farther = smaller to avoid moire effects and jagged white lines from happening on distant objects. They are essentially the level of detail (LOD) for textures. They have since been turned into a quick and dirty way of avoiding several texture size packs by using various Mips as the default texture size, and do a good job in this role.

For Mipmap settings:

If for personal use using high graphics settings use the following-

Change the sharpening mode to UnsharpenMask

Change the number of Mipmaps to 2

This cuts out on that instablur at 3 feet from your character, and makes for better screenshots.

If for release so others can use it-

Change the sharpening mode back to None

Change the number of Mipmaps to All

This is due to MipMaps now being used as a cheap replacement for smaller textures initially.

For Normal Map settings:

This you will have to play with. For the most part, a scale of 6 is fine. For things like deep gouges and cracks, a setting of 22 or 24 may be necessary.

Use the layers in your PSD file to set the values of light/dark, then flatten the image and then apply the normal map filter.

If you accidentally apply it without flattening, you will know pretty fast. It will be a mostly solid blue layer. Just undo, flatten the texture and MAKE SURE to scroll down Filters and click the NormalMapFilter again. Do NOT hit CTRL F to reapply the filter, as it will apply the same erroneous calculations to the flattened image.

If you need multiple layers of normal map strength:

Say you want your leather to be like suede on a table, but have a deep gouge in it, set your texture layers up as usual, flatten the image and apply the normal map filter with a strength of 2 to 6.

Now copy that layer and paste it into a new image.

Now go back to the original and undo until it is no longer flattened.

Here's the fun part of cheating normal maps.

Now make all of your layers EXCEPT the gouge layer all one color and merge them together. Then make sure that this color is a good contrast to the gouge layer. Now CTRL click the thumbnail icon of the gouge to tight select it.

While keeping it tight selected, flatten the image and scroll through and select the normalmapfilter again and now jack it up to around 24 and apply it.

Now hit copy-> paste so you have just the gouge normal mapped as its own layer.

Select the background layer and the gouge layer, drag them to the other softer image you pasted the earlier normal map to, move it into place and let it snap into the corners so the full image of the newer normal map sets your gouge layer into place... then delete the layer just below the gouge.

You now have a soft suede with a very deep gouge in it.

This method works for anything. It can be done on a block wall that is already flattened, on a block by block basis.

Merge the layers together, flatten and add in the new alpha channel... paste in a created alpha for the specular and you're set.

If you just plan on changing a character's skin appearance, then you don't need to worry about the _s, _sk, _msn maps. Go ahead and just play around with something like the femalebody_1.dds file.

ALWAYS do changes on new layers, or use all those fancy layer adjustments that take forever to set up lol. This way you can go back and change your edits, which you will quickly find you need to do... a lot. :)

I'm sure I've forgotten some important details here... but this will at least give you the basic facts of dealing with .dds. :)

Ah okay that makes sense. So right now I have a s.dds file open in photoshop. It's 1 layer and it's all black, do I only add an alpha in the channels tab or do I also need to change the "background" primary layer in some way?

I changed a random s.dds file from one of the skin mods out there to all white and it made my character shine like sheet of metal in the sun (turning off my enb lessened the effect but it was still to extreme. 

You will frequently run across solid color diffuse textures. If they do not have an alpha channel, change their size to 8x8 pixels and save them. I've found 4096x4096 textures in peoples' mods that were solid black... saved in ARGB8x32... it's enraging... only due to; how much processing power does it take to render 64 pixels vs 16,777,216 pixels?

If they do have an alpha channel, double check it to see what it is. If it is solid white, delete it, make the texture 8x8 and save as DXT1RGB. If it is solid black or any other solid color of gray, make it 8x8 and save as DXT5ARGB.

If it has some kins of details, like lace for stockings, then leave it at its size and resave it as DXT5ARGB just to make sure it isn't saved as ARGB8x32.

Never add in alpha channels to the _s maps for skin textures. It just adds bloat that will never be used by the engine.

For a fairly effective _s map:

Copy the body texture and paste it into a new image. Hit CTRL SHIFT U to desaturate it. Then hit Image-> Adjustments-> Brightness/Contrast.

Lower the contrast to about -76 and then lower the brightness until the majority of the texture is black, with only the highlights barely showing a bit of gray.

Now make a duplicate of this layer and hit Filter-> noise-> Add noise.

Set it to Amount 32, Gaussian, Monochromatic checked so it's on.

Now lower the opacity of this layer to about 76.

Warning: This will create a seam between the body and the neck.

To avoid this, simply use the area of the neck from the default _s maps for both the head_s and the body_s feathered to around 12 pixels out to the first polygon of each.

Fast way to do this is copy/paste the vanilla version and use a polygonal lasso tool with feather set to 12 pixels. Count out from the edge to two lines of polygons and make a selection. CTRL SHIFT I to invert the selection, then CTRL X to remove the unwanted areas. Presto, seamless again.

Oh... do the same for wrists and ankles. :)

Archived