SexLab - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Question: Where can I download SexLab Framework/Resources?
Answer: http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/150-skyrim-sexlab-sex-animation-framework-v101/

Question:  I'm a modder and want to develop a mod using SexLab
Answer: There is an API guide available at http://git.loverslab.com/sexlab/wikis/home  that should answer most questions if you are familiar with scripting. If you have a question not answered there, or a suggestion for a change to the framework that would make making your mod easier, feel free to private message me.

I will only respond to private messages about SexLab or scripting from modders, anybody else must post in the thread or technical support forum.

Question: I don't have any options to start sex

Question: The mod doesn't do anything! How do I start animations?!

Answer: SexLab is a just a framework; it enables OTHER mods to quickly and easily start animations without having to worry about how to handle animating itself, leaving the modder free to focus on their mod idea, rather than the intricacies of animation handling.

You can download a separate mod that makes use of this framework from the current download list here; SexLab Downloads

Question: No animations start, the actors just stand in front of each other naked. 

Question: SexLab has no animations or voices listed and nothing will start.

Question: Skyrim crashes as soon as an animation tries to start.

Question: SexLab has problem X and I can't figure out why!

Answer: There are several potential causes for any of these, see the SexLab Troubleshooting Instructions for further help on solving such issues.

Question: <File name> does not exist when I go to download it!
Answer: Use the latest available version of the file

Question: Is FNIS Idle Spells - ADD ON for the spells required?
Answer: No, its optional as stated in the guide

Question: Is FNIS Creature Pack required?
Answer: No, its optional as stated in the guide

Question: Is there a video on how to do this?
Answer: No, there doesn't need to be one. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine.

Question: After sex I can't swing or unsheathe my weapon and have to restart Skyrim to get it working again.

Answer: This is a problem with using TFC. Something in the way the animation ends in combination with TFC being active causes this. Sometimes just typing "enableplayercontrols" into console afterwards will fix this, sometimes not. To be on the safe side, just disable TFC before the animation starts the ending process; the part where they all ragdoll and reset to their default states.

Question: After installing/updating SexLab the Mod Configuration Menu option for it doesn't show up, is empty, or there are more than one section for the framework.
Answer: First make sure you are running the latest version of SkyUI (current 4.1) if you are and it's not showing up in the menu, or any mod's menu for that matter, open the Skyrim Console in game and run the following command: setstage SKI_ConfigManagerInstance 1

Question: My adjustment or animation change hotkeys don't work
Answer: If the mod you are triggering the animation from treats it as "aggressive" and you have the SexLab option for "Disable Victim Controls" turned on, which is on by default. Also check the hotkeys menu to make sure you are using the right hotkeys, they can change from time to time, and upgrading will reset your hotkeys back to default if you've changed them.

Question: None of the animations tagged as aggressive in the menu get used
Answer: Animations tagged as aggressive are only used in "aggressive" sex, which is up to the mod maker to define. Aggressive sex will use only aggressive tagged animations, and non aggressive sex will not use any aggressive tagged animations. Unless you disable the menu option labeled "Restrict Aggressive Animations" in which case aggressive and non-aggressive sex will make no distinction between tagged and untagged aggressive animations.

Question: Animations don't line up!
Answer: Some animations align better than others, and things can vary between characters, locations, installed body mods, and a thousand other possible reasons. SexLab does what it can to make the majority of animations work under the suggested body mods, skeleton, and requirements. Can't please everybody.

In many cases simply spamming the Realign Actors hotkey, defaulted to the [ key, or the Rotate Scene hotkey, defaulted to the U key, will resolve the issue.

If the alignment is still off by an incredible amount, as in they aren't anywhere near each other and just air humping in opposite directions of eachother; try various locations out, especially look for wide open and flat areas, see if the bad alignment continues there. Try different body mod or animation skeleton if you're able.

Otherwise just do what you can with the provided alignment adjustment hotkeys.

Question: How can I contribute to the framework itself?
Answer: The Git repository allows for myself and others to submit changes to the framework and it's resources directly to a development branch. Once ready for an official release, this development branch is merged with the master branch, and becomes the new official SexLab release.

If you wish to contribute your skills in animation, scripting, modeling, textures, or sound to SexLab directly; private message me with what you plan to contribute, and I will add you as a team member to the repository so you can push changes to the development branch to be included with release.

Question: How can I contribute without any skills in modding?
Answer: Try any/all of these:

• Help answer support questions in the SexLab technical support forum.
  • Help beta test future releases of the framework by using the development branch from the Git repository
  • Be an active poster in the forums, letting us know your ideas, experiences, suggestions, or problems so that myself and other modders know what people need/want out of SexLab or it's mods.
  • Show your appreciation to the modders who make mods you download and enjoy with a nice comment. Positive feedback goes a long way to helping keep an active modder from burning out and giving up.

Question: How can I help beta test the current in-development version?
Answer: By using the Git repositories development branch, which you can find at http://git.loverslab.com/sexlab/framework/tree/development

Assuming you aren't familiar with using Git, here is a quick guide to using it with SexLab

• Download and install msysGit from https://code.google.com/p/msysgit/
  • Download and install TortiseGit from https://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/
  • Create a new folder somewhere outside your Skyrim's Data folder that you want to create the repository in.
    • If using Mod Organizer (which you should) create the folder inside the your /ModOrganizer/mods/ for easiest install.
  • Right click in the folder and you should have a new option for "Git Clone..." 
  • In the window that pops up, enter the following URL:
    http://git.loverslab.com/sexlab/framework.git
  • Check and make sure the Directory option is correct, it should add "sexlab" onto it which is good, unless you made one manually in which case it's redundant.
  • Click "OK" and it will begin downloading the current repository.
  • Once finished, open the folder and you should have all the SexLab Framework files in the folder. 
  • Right click inside the folder and navigate to TortoiseGit ->  Switch/Checkout...
  • From the window that comes up, select "remotes/origin/development" for branch, and click OK.
  • If no errors come up in the results window, you have successfully copied the most up to date development version.
  • To install it into a noraml Skyrim install, copy paste the files in the folder, ignoring the hidden .git folder if visible, into your data folder
    • If you installed it into Mod Organizer's mod folder, you can just enable the the framework and it's esm from Mod Organizer.

A list of current changes to the development branch will be visible at http://git.loverslab.com/sexlab if you wish to upgrade your current development install, go back to the folder you cloned the repository to above, and right click the folder and navigate to "Git Sync..." and click the bottom right button "Pull." Any changed or added files will be downloaded. Now just copy the files back into Skyrim's data once again, overwriting the current ones.

• 1 month later...

FAQ UPDATE 07/21/2013:

Added Question:

Question: After sex I can't swing or unsheath my weapon and have to restart Skyrim to get it working again.

Answer: This is a problem with using TFC. Something in the way the animation ends in combination with TFC being active causes this. Sometimes just typing "enableplayercontrols" into console afterwards will fix this, sometimes not. To be on the safe side, just disable TFC before the animation starts the ending process; the part where they all ragdoll and reset to their default states.

Updated Question:

Question 1: No animations start, the actors just stand in front of each other naked. 
Question 2: SexLab has no animations or voices listed and nothing will start
Answer: There are several potential causes for this, here a few potential fixes in order of things you should try before trying the next until it works.

Still not working?

Try running the SKYRIM Save Cleaner utility, just be sure to READ THE PROVIDED INSTRUCTIONS

• 3 weeks later...

FAQ UPDATE 08/07/2013:

Added Question:

Question: After installing/updating SexLab the Mod Configuration Menu option for it doesn't show up.

Answer: First make sure you are running the latest version of SkyUI, if you are and it's not showing up in the menu, or any mod's menu for that matter, open the Skyrim Console in game and run the following command: setstage SKI_ConfigManagerInstance 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...