Crashy Crashy Crashy

DocClox

Anyone else having stability issues with New Vegas?

Currently I'm finding the usual Fallout problem, it's solid as a rock until about level 7 then starts crashing every time the game gets interesting.

I should probably add: This is a new install. I added in all the DLC packs (the main reason for playing) and then what I thought was a bare minimum of mods, plus the sexout mods and dependencies. So, basically, I have no idea if any particular mod is causing the issue. Currently I've got it stripped down to just a quick start mod and perk-per-level and it still falls over, although it at least has the good grace to stutter and lag first.

I've also noticed that the DLCs still seem to load, even if you de-select their esms in FOMM or Wrye Flash. Which is a little worrisome.

I can see I'm going to end up reinstalling this again very shortly...

Do what I do... use the NVSE launcher to start the game. Makes it a lot more stable, for some reason.

If you're using it at max settings then you might want to get the 4GB NVSE launcher instead, if you've got the RAM for it... it should help with the stuttering since that sounds like a memory problem to me. (needs 4GB or more RAM, of course... but who doesn't have that nowadays?)

Got rid of many of my crashes, thanks to some advice given by Tregarin, by adding the NVSE 4G. Still have random crashes dealing with inventory, be after sex when the clothes/armor automatically added or after rape when I manually reapply garment to my toon. Don’t know if it has something to do with the clothes (tried a variety of them) or the body.

Edit: I was too slow.

Another thing: Use normal saves' date=' never quicksave or autosave. Those two seem to cause cumulative errors which lead to game getting very crash prone. So, normal saves only (this reduced my crashes to just about nothing).

[/quote']

A great mod to achieve this without hassle is CASM:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=36730

I haven't had a save related crash or corruption, since I started using it.

Well, I have CASM working; I've turned off all the autosaves; I have the 4GB nvse launcher; I'm using BOSS to sort the mods, and I'm using wrye flash to generate a merged patch.

And I get to level 15 or so and it still crashes every five minutes.

Anyone have a good guide to cleaning mods for NV? I get the impression that using NVEdit isn't yes as reliable as it is in FO3.

GameCompanion helped to reduce my random crashes a lot. It is well documented that Oblivion, FO3 and NV all run better in windowed mode for some reason, this mod fakes full screen mode. In other words it looks like full screen but its actually in windowed mode.

Here it is on nexus for with a lot more info

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16478

Also be sure to create a merged patch through NVEdit if you haven't already. Mod conflicts can cause many random crashes that are hard to detect but can be easily remedied with a merged patch.

Couple of things:

1. Post load order - we can't help if we don't know exactly what you have running.

2. As to corrupted save games:

A. Have you turned off autosaves?

B. Are you using quicksave?

If you have not turned off autosave do it as it can get corrupted quite quickly. Also quicksaves are a no no as well - they also corrupt quickly.

The only good way to save (aside from getting streamline or something similar) is to do a manual full save (hit escape and select new save).

In reply to Gregathits statements about autosaves and quicksaves he is 100% correct. CASM auto/quick saves seem to have fewer corrupted saves but it still does have some corruption issues. As to your quest9ion about showracemenu, if you changed your race there was a well known bug in FO3 and there could be a similar one in FONV.

Archived