Do NPCs sleep naked in vanilla?

No the prude Oblivion engine does not allow it.

If NPCs wear armor and in the sleep AI package is "Armor unequipped" set/marked they unequip the armor if they have clothes in the inventory.

If they have no clothes they do not unequip the armor.

There is no "Clothes unequipped" option for the AI packages.

So if you see a naked sleeping vanilla NPC...he/she has no clothes and armor and is always naked , or a script strips his/her clothes ( But I don't remember a sleeping nude vanilla NPC )

I don't use sleep Mods, maybe there are Mods that unequip all clothes and armor if a NPC sleeps ( A scripts that checkes if a NPC use a sleep AI Package )... But such a Mod would conflict with other Mods. ( I use in my Mods sleepwear for some NPCs )

Sleep packages will automatically make NPCs remove their armour. If they have any clothes in their inventory, they will equip those instead. But if they don't have any clothes, they will sleep naked. However, there are several glitches in this. Sometimes an NPC will keep wearing some of their armour when sleeping, or won't equip all their clothing. It's to do with the slots used by each item, and their value. For example, if an NPC has a low-value shirt that uses the upper body slot and the hand slot, but also has a high-value pair of gloves that use only the hand slot, they will normally wear the gloves when sleeping (and so will be topless).

Edit @fejeena

The 'unequip armor' flag on the sleep package doesn't work properly. A sleep package will always unequip armor, whether this flag is checked or not. In some circumstances, checking the flag can actually make NPCs wear armour when sleeping - it's all dependent on the value of their equipment.

And NPCs will always unequip their armor when told to, even if they don't have any clothes. There is a male imperial in the Skingrad fighters guild who can sometimes be found sitting and eating naked, for example.

2 hours ago, Gaebrial said:

And NPCs will always unequip their armor when told to, even if they don't have any clothes. There is a male imperial in the Skingrad fighters guild who can sometimes be found sitting

and eating naked, for example.

I tried that in a Mod to get a naked NPC ( a wander Package with  "Armor unequipped" , but the NPC doesn't unequipped his armor. I had to add clothes in hiis invertory ( A nude body set as clothes, so he looked nude )

--------------------

Yes sleep packages are shit.

But in my game NPC often sleep in armor even if they have clothes in the inventory. But in the sleep package "Armor unequipped" is not marked,

If I marked the "Armor unequipped" in the package they sleep in clothes.

That's why I always mark "Armor unequipped" in sleep packaged in my Mods.

------------------------

So in other words, NPCs in Oblivion sleep as they want, they ignore game and Mod settings. :classic_biggrin:  That's the Oblivion real life engine with individual AI for each NPC, developed in months of work by Bethesda. :classic_tongue:

Archived