4GBb patch w/ STEAM version

m3dicat3d

Reposting here due to last thread being locked...

!!! [Just to be clear, in last thread I could've been clearer in stating that I BOUGHT the D2D/Gamefly version of Oblivion, and was altering the standard launcher exe for OBSE compatibility purposes, and I in NO WAY was, am, or intending to endorse software piracy (which it appears is why the thread was locked). Yes, buy it if you like it, and everything else you've already heard that's just as true if I or anyone says it...] !!!

Phew.... now that that's out of the way... I really REALLY don't want to buy a game I already own a SECOND time, BUT I'm willing to plunk down another $20-$25 if it would make a difference in the 4Gb patch function versus the setup I'm using for the D2D/Gamefly version.

I'll list system specs here again...(as in last post, NOT a gaming rig, working on that still, but runs the game fine still believe it or not)

Lenovo X220T Tablet (aka covertible notebook)

i7 2640 M (2 core)

8Gb DDR3 1333 Ram

Intel HD 3000 graphics (haha, I know, but like I said, NOT a gaming rig)

160Gb SSD drive

First, with the video card that's in the machine, would the patch even do anything with the Steam version since the card is integrated (would it actually enable the card to utilize the extra 2Gb of RAM)...

...and Second, would it be best to stick with just SI/KOTK GOTY version, the SI/KOTK (with everything else) GOTY version, or would it make a difference at all?

Just don't want to buy the game a second time if I won't see any difference from applying the patch...

Lastly, I would just be patching Steam's exe and not the OBSE loader, right?

Sorry for confusion in last thread, and any further help would be appreciated :)

As I said in the PM to you, the patch will work on the steam version just fine. At the OBSE homepage it lists out what versions don't work and what does.

The 4GB patch probably won't gain you much with that rig. Notebooks for the most part just are not very good gaming rigs. You list your processor but what hz is it? 2.8 or what?

As to the patch, you just patch the oblivion.exe file

As to which version to buy if you do go that route...."better" is not really a good term to use. Depending on how much you are willing to spend and what mods you want to play is probably the better approach to asking\answering this question. If you can get the all in version for a buck or two more then it is probably worth it due to being unable to purchase the addons separately later on. Of course that is subjective to how much money you are willing to part with.

As you are aware integrated video cards are horrible for gaming and as you dump mods that contain higher rez textures into your game it will start to bog down horribly.

Bottom line, until you get your gaming rig, it probably isn't worth buying a copy of oblivion that will allow obse to function. That is just my two cents.

Best of luck to you.

Greg

Gotcha on the version, was just asking due to the additional esp's from the additional official mods being a potential source of additional "spaghetti mess" when dealing with mods, so to speak (I believe that was alluded to in the installation guide thread).

I totally understand about the HD 3000 being a crap card, like I said, I was surprised to see it run the game as well as it has been.

My processor is indeed a 2.8 and I'm running 64bit 7 Pro.

As for mods, I currently have 29 in total. I really don't see myself using more than a few more, IF I even do that, pretty much have what I want right now. The only high res mods I have are ozmo's high res skin and face, and a couple of high res armor mods. I haven't (and don't plan on) using the high res environmental or additional area, etc mods as I know my current rig just wouldn't be able to handle them.

I know this is not a gaming rig and when that "new rig" day comes, I'll be loading up Oblivion and the mods in all the jaw dropping glory I can, but in the meanwhile, IF I can access an additional 2Gb RAM that is just sitting there, this would be a great thing while the new comp is still a daydream.

My question is that since an integrated card accesses system memory, my thinking is that the 4Gb patch would give an addtional 2Gb to play with, but since I really can't claim to know much about how an integrated card accesses that memory, and if there is even a limit, would the 4Gb patch really allow the HD 3000 to access that additional 2Gb?

If I think that patch would allow this on my current rig, I'd happily dole out the extra cash to get the steam version to do this.

Again, any expertise is appreciated :)

The 4GB patch doesn't automatically make your system use the extra ram. What it does is raise the cap so that the game "can" access the additional ram if\when it needs to. The original game is a 32 bit exe and as such is capped at 2GB. Most folks report that the 4GB patch lets them use around 2.5GB or so of RAM where as the original game exe generally comes in around 1.8GB.

Long story short it is impossible to say whether the game will be improved or not. The "potential" for it being improved will certainly be there with the 4GB patch but there are too many other factors (CPU\Graphics card\sound card and on an on) to guarantee it. I wish I could help you further but it is one of those tough deals that "could" see you spending money with no measurable gain.

Once you do get your gaming rig I would say then that it is a no-brainer as you will need OBSE running properly to use the really good mods like lovers with PK and Deadly Reflex just to name a couple.

Archived