So here's a little tip for animators

So after playing around with the animation rigs for a while I started to notice a bit of a problem when the sims are contorted with their thighs to their chest, they seem to be basically prolapsing, for lack of a better term. I see it actually quite common even in some of the more experienced animators animations and I've been playing around trying to workout how it can be better solved. One solution I have at the moment is not perfect but it mostly reduces the stretched thin buttocks in most cases, I'm not 100% sure it will work in all situations but it might improve them slightly.

Bellow in the spoiler is an example image of what it does. Preserve Volume on the "bottom" mesh, it is not a perfect solution but I think it helps. I hope this helps if anyone knows of a better method, please let me know.

Spoiler

example1.thumb.png.44f23e457b8cb7005aebce7b80da3a7e.png

Here is an Example of what I mean above.

example2.thumb.png.752be3278894978ef5abc9aee9384574.png

Here is the exact same just with the preserve volume box ticked on the geom modifier for the bottom.

Guest Zivyx
2 hours ago, Simite said:

So after playing around with the animation rigs for a while I started to notice a bit of a problem when the sims are contorted with their thighs to their chest, they seem to be basically prolapsing, for lack of a better term. I see it actually quite common even in some of the more experienced animators animations and I've been playing around trying to workout how it can be better solved. One solution I have at the moment is not perfect but it mostly reduces the stretched thin buttocks in most cases, I'm not 100% sure it will work in all situations but it might improve them slightly.

Bellow in the spoiler is an example image of what it does. Preserve Volume on the "bottom" mesh, it is not a perfect solution but I think it helps. I hope this helps if anyone knows of a better method, please let me know.

Hide contents

example1.thumb.png.44f23e457b8cb7005aebce7b80da3a7e.png

Here is an Example of what I mean above.

example2.thumb.png.752be3278894978ef5abc9aee9384574.png

Here is the exact same just with the preserve volume box ticked on the geom modifier for the bottom.

Spoiler

Seems helpful, thanks. Is it okay to preserve volume for the top as well? I notice the top doesn't line up well with the bottom, until the same thing is done to that one.

5aa224ed75788_blender-app2018-03-0902-05-05-48.thumb.png.fca154a325452454ea5ab88e4010257e.png

5aa22a4bb364d_TS4_x642018-03-0902-27-12-31.thumb.png.f22df39d61ae2bae964868441769878b.png5aa22a4e5f6ff_TS4_x642018-03-0902-27-49-79.thumb.png.5c9b9b78dee7b8e79bcf943412a6a4ee.png

6 hours ago, Zheur said:
  Hide contents

Seems helpful, thanks. Is it okay to preserve volume for the top as well? I notice the top doesn't line up well with the bottom, until the same thing is done to that one.

5aa224ed75788_blender-app2018-03-0902-05-05-48.thumb.png.fca154a325452454ea5ab88e4010257e.png

5aa22a4bb364d_TS4_x642018-03-0902-27-12-31.thumb.png.f22df39d61ae2bae964868441769878b.png5aa22a4e5f6ff_TS4_x642018-03-0902-27-49-79.thumb.png.5c9b9b78dee7b8e79bcf943412a6a4ee.png

I guess use it on the top if you feel it helps even things out, I didn't really try it out on the top but I guess it would just prevent the same sort of stretching. 

Really great work on your animations recently dude, you are going to do a public release at some point right? I'd cry many tears if I never got to use them.

Guest Zivyx
1 hour ago, Simite said:

I guess use it on the top if you feel it helps even things out, I didn't really try it out on the top but I guess it would just prevent the same sort of stretching. 

Really great work on your animations recently dude, you are going to do a public release at some point right? I'd cry many tears if I never got to use them.

I'm still learning just like you are. However, time will tell. I have a lot to thank you for, (I followed your tutorial of how to constraint the control rig.:thumbsup:)

20 minutes ago, Zheur said:

I'm still learning just like you are. However, time will tell. I have a lot to thank you for, (I followed your tutorial of how to constraint the control rig.:thumbsup:)

Yeah I'm still working on improving a rig, that combines a lot of the neat features I've seen on other rigs. I've been playing around with it for quite some time, it has been a bit of a headache and I'm still not sure if I'm doing it correctly. All trial and error, I have a bunch of unfinished animations with half baked rigs. Eventually though, hopefully. It will all be worth it. Aha!  

I saw some clips you posted of what you been working on and from what I can see your attention to details is really good, the motion of the rigs looks very smooth too, is that from adjusting the F-curve? (I'm not sure how to do any of that yet)

Guest Zivyx
38 minutes ago, Simite said:

Yeah I'm still working on improving a rig, that combines a lot of the neat features I've seen on other rigs. I've been playing around with it for quite some time, it has been a bit of a headache and I'm still not sure if I'm doing it correctly. All trial and error, I have a bunch of unfinished animations with half baked rigs. Eventually though, hopefully. It will all be worth it. Aha!  

I saw some clips you posted of what you been working on and from what I can see your attention to details is really good, the motion of the rigs looks very smooth too, is that from adjusting the F-curve? (I'm not sure how to do any of that yet)

Sometimes I would rely on the graph editor, but not as often as I should. I use dagger's rig to be honest, it's more advanced the nanashi rig but better:

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/74690-daggers-animations-for-wickedwhims/?do=findComment&comment=1998176

Yeah I tried the Dagger Rig, I like the foot roll on that rig and some other things where nice and easy to use. I'm trying to make a bit of an advanced rig, not even sure its possible, a bit of a "does it all" futa control rig so that you only ever need to load one rig. I'm not sure what the alignment is like for the futa rig, like if the penis location matches the male, and vagina location matches the female. If not I can always make a version for each gender. I'm basically looking at what other people did on their rigs and applying it to a new one I'm making, like head and eyeball and eyelid controllers, hand grip controllers, foot roll, IK arms and legs, chest controllers with constraints to prevent weird un-natural bending and help automatically make adjustments when moved with the IK. :cold_sweat: 

7 minutes ago, azmodan22 said:

This is a good find Simite, but remember that in the end, It is Just the rig that is imported in the game. Not the geometries. 
So I am not sure if that change that works in blender will also work in game. 

Yeah I wasn't sure about that side of things, the mesh geometric data is recorded for the breast wobble things though so I didn't know if that was something that's only local to the breast. Maybe its possible to apply similar "ass bones" or something in order to achieve a much better result that actually transfers into the game. You probably know more about this then me though.

Guest Zivyx
1 hour ago, Simite said:

Yeah I tried the Dagger Rig, I like the foot roll on that rig and some other things where nice and easy to use. I'm trying to make a bit of an advanced rig, not even sure its possible, a bit of a "does it all" futa control rig so that you only ever need to load one rig. I'm not sure what the alignment is like for the futa rig, like if the penis location matches the male, and vagina location matches the female. If not I can always make a version for each gender. I'm basically looking at what other people did on their rigs and applying it to a new one I'm making, like head and eyeball and eyelid controllers, hand grip controllers, foot roll, IK arms and legs, chest controllers with constraints to prevent weird un-natural bending and help automatically make adjustments when moved with the IK. :cold_sweat: 

I think this is a good plan. They are very few ik rigs to be found for the sims 4. And you need to have some kind of knowledge of character rigging, to build your own. 

Archived