Game CTDing after 'Sounds of Skyrim' being uninstalled

shunter

Exactly what the title says. SOS for some reason stopped working for me (no more sounds were being played) a while ago so I uninstalled it. What happens now (since I uninstalled it) though is that the game crashes every 30 seconds or so, no matter what I'm doing or where I go. Help? :huh:

Exactly what the title says. SOS for some reason stopped working for me (no more sounds were being played) a while ago so I uninstalled it. What happens now (since I uninstalled it) though is that the game crashes every 30 seconds or so' date=' no matter what I'm doing or where I go. Help? :huh:

[/quote']

You're going to have to start a new game. Sounds of Skyrim apparently overwrites some sound files in the game which will cause problems. Additionally, if you uninstall it, it leaves a ton of scripts running which will bloat up your game and begin to cause crashes. There is currently no way to clean up the scripts from your save file, so you will need to start a fresh game. I know it's a PITA but it will fix this problem.

To save you some trouble--and to avoid having to do another restart (I'm on my 3rd or 4th, BTW) be sure you have the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch installed as well. I would also recommend the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.

In addition to the patches, I would check the list of mods compatible with Dawnguard on the Bethesda forums. It doesn't list every mod, but it may be able to give you some help. I haven't seen a post anywhere that says the Skyrim Monster Mod causes crashes, but I noticed it causing problems prior to Dawnguard. After Dawnguard, it made my game crashy as hell, particularly around Riften. Removing it--which actually made me bleed a little inside--cleared up my problems with constant CTDs in or around Riften. I hope things get sorted out well enough for me to install it again--it's one of the best mods out there. But back to your problem.

If you are using Hi-Res Textures, try using Optimizer Textures to lessen the load on your system. I LOVE this tool. Even if you've got a good system, you'll experience an improvement in FPS and there is (for me) no perceptible difference in the appearance of the game (at 1080 x1920).

If you are using ENB--and you aren't on a high end system--try either using a performance configuration of the ENB or just disable DoF and/or SSAO to see if this helps. Anything that's eating up a lot of your system resources is going to make you more prone to crashing if you've already got a problem somewhere else.

My personal strategy (common sense, but hard-learned) for dealing with potential issues with new mods is to backup my current save files to another folder before trying out a new mod with it's own scripts. This way, if it causes a problem, I don't have to play through the entire bloody game again and can just revert to the clean and working saves.

Last word: As far as I know, Dawnguard will still break the main Skyrim Quest, so you need to be sure that it is finished prior to beginning Dawnguard. There are still a number of bugs to be had in Dawnguard, despite the unofficial patch, so expect problems and be prepared to look for workarounds.

Hope this was helpful to you. Best of luck!

Luckily I haven't got a trouble because of SOS, I'm Installed SOS Wild, and SOS Dungeon ver 1.1 and update 1.2, I Uninstalled it when boss or wyre bash?? say something that SOS have a serious trouble.

So my advice is try using wyre bash or boss often, to see if something on the mod is wrong, in the wyre bash you can see which is dirty mods.

So something like this wont happen again.

Hope you can play your game again.

Luckily I haven't got a trouble because of SOS' date=' I'm Installed SOS Wild, and SOS Dungeon ver 1.1 and update 1.2, I Uninstalled it when boss or wyre bash?? say something that SOS have a serious trouble.

So my advice is try using wyre bash or boss often, to see if something on the mod is wrong, in the wyre bash you can see which is dirty mods.

So something like this wont happen again.

Hope you can play your game again.

[/quote']

Wrye Bash will also manage leveled lists for you, which saves a lot of problems.

Exactly what the title says. SOS for some reason stopped working for me (no more sounds were being played) a while ago so I uninstalled it. What happens now (since I uninstalled it) though is that the game crashes every 30 seconds or so' date=' no matter what I'm doing or where I go. Help? :huh:

[/quote']

You're going to have to start a new game. Sounds of Skyrim apparently overwrites some sound files in the game which will cause problems. Additionally, if you uninstall it, it leaves a ton of scripts running which will bloat up your game and begin to cause crashes. There is currently no way to clean up the scripts from your save file, so you will need to start a fresh game. I know it's a PITA but it will fix this problem.

To save you some trouble--and to avoid having to do another restart (I'm on my 3rd or 4th, BTW) be sure you have the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch installed as well. I would also recommend the Unofficial Skyrim Patch.

In addition to the patches, I would check the list of mods compatible with Dawnguard on the Bethesda forums. It doesn't list every mod, but it may be able to give you some help. I haven't seen a post anywhere that says the Skyrim Monster Mod causes crashes, but I noticed it causing problems prior to Dawnguard. After Dawnguard, it made my game crashy as hell, particularly around Riften. Removing it--which actually made me bleed a little inside--cleared up my problems with constant CTDs in or around Riften. I hope things get sorted out well enough for me to install it again--it's one of the best mods out there. But back to your problem.

If you are using Hi-Res Textures, try using Optimizer Textures to lessen the load on your system. I LOVE this tool. Even if you've got a good system, you'll experience an improvement in FPS and there is (for me) no perceptible difference in the appearance of the game (at 1080 x1920).

If you are using ENB--and you aren't on a high end system--try either using a performance configuration of the ENB or just disable DoF and/or SSAO to see if this helps. Anything that's eating up a lot of your system resources is going to make you more prone to crashing if you've already got a problem somewhere else.

My personal strategy (common sense, but hard-learned) for dealing with potential issues with new mods is to backup my current save files to another folder before trying out a new mod with it's own scripts. This way, if it causes a problem, I don't have to play through the entire bloody game again and can just revert to the clean and working saves.

Last word: As far as I know, Dawnguard will still break the main Skyrim Quest, so you need to be sure that it is finished prior to beginning Dawnguard. There are still a number of bugs to be had in Dawnguard, despite the unofficial patch, so expect problems and be prepared to look for workarounds.

Hope this was helpful to you. Best of luck!

Yeah, I've started a new game already, even though Skyrim doesn't have much replay value. Though, it's awesome to play up for a few hours without crashing a single time. That save was pretty much lost even before the problem with SOS started anyway.

I also have both Dawnguard and Skyrim unnoficial patches, installed as soon as they were released. Both are literally essential.

Well, I don't keep backup saves, though I do keep 25 different saves (which I overwrite from the last to the most recent when playing). And I'm VERY careful when installing mods. I have over 250 mods (reached that mark today) and so far my new savegame and running fine and dandy.

Lolwut? Dawnguard breaking Skyrim? Woah, Bethesda.

I did exactly what you said on my bloated save playthrough (even though I didn't know about that); finished literally every single quest in the game before playing Dawnguard.

That's odd, since I played the DLC and I've ran to a single minor bug which is that, the leader from the Dawnguard which name's I forgot glitched as 'busy' after the quest ended, so I couldn't talk anymore to him. Didn't matter anyway, since I had finished the quest already. And ontop of that the Dawnguard unnoficial wasn't even installed.

I've never used a single ENB mod until today. Found this little gem on the Nexus that enhances the game's visuals without (too much) FPS loss, since my PC can't handle Skyrim very well (yeah, it's low-end). But yeah, I do avoid "major" mods, specially stuff that changes the vanilla settings in the game.

About Mod Managers - I started with NMM but switched to Wrye Bash since it kept crashing every time I tried to uninstall or install a mod, even though I followed the instructions precisely on how to fix the problem(s). Then Wrye Bash also started giving me trouble (which by the way I haven't solved until today), which is: it simply refuses to install some mods, even if I use the exact same process to install them and they're on the same category. Let's say I downloaded two sets of clothing; I use the same steps to install them (throwing at that specific installing folder, then hitting "install" on Wry Bash, then making sure to activate the esp/esm if there is any, or sometimes even manually, just throwing it into the Data folder or whatever it specified me to put it into) and both install normally. The problem is though, one of them won't show up in-game, even though I made SURE everything was in order, even using BOSS and stuff. It's completely random, but the problem has been more frequent lately. I haven't been able to install any mods today, and I tried ten f**king mods. It installs normally, it allows me to tick the ESP/ESM on the manager, but in game it simply doesn't show up and sometimes it deactivates itself outta nowhere when I exit the game (also when I use BOSS).

So, pretty much I use nothing but the game's default manager and BOSS now. It's very limited but functional (which is what I needed since both mod managers were giving me trouble).

Thanks for everyone in the thread who tried to help.

EDIT - Oh and I don't wanna make a whole thread just to ask this: Is it normal that your save file(s) increase in size as you play and install mods? Mine was 4.5 MB a few hundred saves ago, now it's 6.5 MB.

dont worry about it, first playing it without any mod = 3MB (March 2012), right now = 12MB, just be careful when its increasing too much, it can be save bloat, its corrupt your save, like from 3MB become 20MB.

I hear it from somewhere, never happen to me though.

edit: I mean if its gradually increase, I think that's normal.

• 4 weeks later...

[/quote']

Oh sh*t, thats weird. Maybe SOS adds something to the game (like a sound call perhaps) which is left behind after you uninstall, which means the game is looking for sounds that aren't there anymore, and basically dividing by zero. Its just a guess though, have you told the mod maker about this yet? Maybe try reinstalling the mod, it might work properly again with all its sounds. Remind me not to uninstall this mod!

Archived