CK2 Event Contest

dewguru

Happy Holidays to everyone, and if you don't celebrate a holiday during this time of the year - well, hello there and good day. :smile:

What is this?

• A simple contest where I'm looking for some folks to provide a Crusader Kings 2 event submission(s), and the winner will receive a copy of the Crusader Kings 2 Monks and Mystics DLC from me.
  • This idea first arose when I thought about how I could try and collect some ideas for quick, random events that could add to a CK2 playing experience. Events that might not be there every session, but that would be cool when they did appear. I then noticed the Steam Winter sale was on, and thought what the hell. Let's do a little contest. Potential content for DW:R users and someone getting a recent DLC seems like a win-win type situation.

How long do I have?

• Until the new year (January 1st). On January 2nd, I'll make a selection. I'll send out the gift as well on the 2nd (so feel free to shoot a Steam friend request to me prior to then).

What's going to happen to the submissions?

• Any submission is subject to being used within my Dark World Reborn mod. If I do use one, I'll include the name (Lover's Lab account name) of the person who made the submission in the Change Log and Special Thanks portion of the mod page.

I don't know how to code!

• Actual code isn't required - I'm looking specifically for the description and options for an event. Things that a CK2 modder would know as localization, which is one of the more time consuming, and sometimes writing block hindrances to getting new things done. See the example below for what I'm talking about.

Who's picking a winner?

• I am. I'm the one gifting the DLC, and I've not worked this out with anyone else to do something more official.

Requirements to receive the DLC gift!

• You must have Crusader Kings 2
  • You must have a Steam account and you'll need to send me a friend request (it's how the gifting mechanism works on Steam) Just search for Dewguru
  • You can't already own the Monks and Mystics DLC (Steam gives the 'they already got that' type message) - however if you win, you can direct me to gift it to someone else

Disclaimer:

• I've never done anything like this before. Looking for folks to be civil, understanding, and reasonable. If for some reason this gets stupid, then this will be cancelled.

Submission Clarification and Example:

Submissions can be a single 'one and done' type event, or they can be a small series (where an event could spawn one to two more based on decisions that are made).

Submissions do not have to contain content specific to the Dark World: Reborn mod.

Submissions do not have to be adult in nature.

Submissions at a minimum should contain the body and options. If a submission would have a limitation somehow (such as if it'd be only for females, or after a battle is won) then it'd be great if you'd include the limitation as well.

Submissions shouldn't be from other existing mods/sub-mods.

Submissions should not worry about any word count limitations.

For example:

Event limitation:

Elven characters, Winter months

Event Description A:

After a long day handling the challenges that come with ruling, I'm looking forward to a relaxing night in bed. I'm undressing in my room, enjoying the heat on my backside that is coming from the fireplace when there is an odd 'whoosh' sound from behind me. I turn to see a rather rotund man, dressed in red and white furs, who is dusting himself off, creating small clouds of soot.

I open my mouth, whether it was to demand answers or call for the guards, I'm not entirely certain, yet as my mouth opened, he raised a single finger, and I found myself unable to speak.

"There, there. No need for any extra company. I'm Kris Kringle, and you are an elf, but alas, not the one I was searching for. My apologies on the intrusion."

I recall some old elven lore about this Kris Kringle character. He's a long lived human, who uses elves to work long hours, slaving away while they craft things for other human children. This whole time, I thought it was just some horrid fairy tale.

"Anyway, I just need to catch my breath and then I'll resume my search. I don't suppose you've some milk and cookies on hand?"

Odd, the more I look at him, the more my fear slips away. If I didn't know better, I'd almost say he was jolly. What kind of fell magic is he using to influence me so, and is this what allows him to so easily enslave others of my kind? While I'm finishing my thoughts, I end up blinking and flushing a little red in embarrassment, for I realize that I've just poured him a glass of wine and a plate of fruit and bread from what I had here in my room.

"Well, it's not milk and cookies, but I do need the energy to carry on."

I watch in amazement as he scarfs down the food. My apprehension has completely melted away, while a small voice in the back of my mind is warning me to be careful. As he finishes up, he moves towards my fire place as he prepares to leave. The voice in my head is happy that he's leaving, while the large part of me, for some reason, wishes to sit upon his lap.

Event Option 1

I wish him well, and sigh in relief when he departs.

Event Option 2

I ask him to wait a moment, at least long enough for me to sit on his lap.

(leads to Event Description B)

Event Description B

The bearded, rotund man gives a little chuckle as he stops. "Sure, sure. I can always spare a moment."

My heart races, as he sits down, and motions me over. His hand takes mine, and I'm amazed at how strong, yet soft it is. I sink slowly onto his lap, feeling his warmth flow into me.

"Now then, I've a lot of work to take care of, but let's hear what it is that ol' Saint Nick can do for you."

Event Option 1

I would like to be a better ruler for my people.

+1 Stewardship

Event Option 2

I would like to get a long better with our neighboring countries.

+1 Diplomacy

Event Option 3

I would like to know more about the world around me.

+1 Learning

1 hour ago, OmegaHeaven said:

Eh. I already have M&M, but I am absolutely willing to share a few slices from my personal mod if it might inspire Dew-sempai~

Not really looking to incorporate items from other mods. A lot of folks have interesting ideas on events, but are intimidated by the coding aspect.

I can see that wasn't clear though, so I'll update the first post for clarity.

I appreciate the offer though.

I'll give it a shot... I apologize for the terrible quality of my prose.  There is a reason I don't make mods myself.

---

Event limitation:
Chaste or celibate, wife is lustful, must have a court physician

Event Description A:
You're laying down for the night when your wife unexpectedly enters your chambers.  Oddly she seems to be wearing considerably fewer layers than normal. The castle has been less drafty as of late you suppose.
She makes a case to me her good deeds and worthiness as your wife before leaning forward to whisper in your ear, "...and now I think it's only fair that you do something... for me."
Her face is flushed and her hands roam her body as though searching for respite from some terrible affliction.

Event Option 1
Anything for my beloved wife, what must I do?
(leads to Event Description A)

Event Option 2
Call my physician at once, please help my wife! (physician treatment event)

Event Option 3
Shrug and go back to sleep. (opinion penalty with wife)

Event Description A
The flavors and smells confound your reason, but nothing is quite so amazing as the soft high pitched whimpers she emits with every touch of your tongue.

Event Option 1
It's not technically sex... (opinion bonus with wife)

Event Option 2 (must not be a eunuch)
I must have her! (lose trait celibate if you have it, become lovers with wife)

Event Option 3 (must be eunuch)

It seems my condition need not be the end of intimacy. (become lovers with wife, remove depressed)

-----

There... surely someone can do better than this.  But is this more what you had in mind?

4 hours ago, Spoink said:

I'll give it a shot... I apologize for the terrible quality of my prose.  There is a reason I don't make mods myself.

---

<Snip>

-----

There... surely someone can do better than this.  But is this more what you had in mind?

Yes, this is more along what I was hoping for.

I appreciate the submission.

2 hours ago, oh boy said:

what's the word count you're looking for? i know you're looking for relatively short events, but with the bigger events mod, you can write more in the body than vanilla allows.

I use a variation of the bigger events, and I'm not really worried about a word count. If it's verbose or not, if it gets used in the mod later, I'll adjust it if necessary. So no word count limit for the contest.

I got some skeleton "flow chart" for a mod idea I abandoned, but I suspect you are looking for something with all the words properly written out. I'll post them anyways, but just forget about it if it's not what you are looking for.

context related to the "flow chart": demon possessed male try to populate the world with their kind, yaddy yadda

suggested read order, liege => husband => vassal

liege.png

husband.png

vassel.png

Alright folks. I've learned something to do a bit differently if I hold a contest like this again in the future.

In the meantime, the winner for this round is Spoink.

I appreciate the other couple of thoughts that were shared, but Spoink is the one who delivered the kind of submission I was looking for.

So Spoink - hit me up with your friend request on Steam and I'll get you your Monks and Mystics DLC gifted to you.

on a kinda unrelated note, what are your feelings on users sending you writing submissions in general? i realize that it's a lot easier said than done since you'll have to accept/reject submissions on top of doing your own writing and coding, but maybe it can be of some help?

i still have the event i was working on and some ideas for more. to be honest i never had any interest in the reward since i already have the DLC, but i enjoy writing so i was interested in your contest just for the opportunity to make content for the game.

22 hours ago, oh boy said:

on a kinda unrelated note, what are your feelings on users sending you writing submissions in general? i realize that it's a lot easier said than done since you'll have to accept/reject submissions on top of doing your own writing and coding, but maybe it can be of some help?

i still have the event i was working on and some ideas for more. to be honest i never had any interest in the reward since i already have the DLC, but i enjoy writing so i was interested in your contest just for the opportunity to make content for the game.

I'd be fine with it. The best way to do it is via PM, and one of the things I'll look at for incorporation would be the localization portion (the story text that appears in the events). I've a ton of ideas, it's more a lack of time to build the story element.

If it's something that I don't think fits within the vision of the mod, I'd try and point you to one of the sub-mod folks where it may fit and who accept things like that.

4 hours ago, dewguru said:

I'd be fine with it. The best way to do it is via PM, and one of the things I'll look at for incorporation would be the localization portion (the story text that appears in the events). I've a ton of ideas, it's more a lack of time to build the story element.

If it's something that I don't think fits within the vision of the mod, I'd try and point you to one of the sub-mod folks where it may fit and who accept things like that.

alright, i'll keep that in mind. when i get around to finishing the short event i had for the contest, i'll send it your way :grin:

I wish I had seen this sooner, my own fault for not checking the forums more. I love writing scenarios that I can't find anywhere else but I'm not a coder so it's more just 'fan fiction' in the end. If you're ever looking for someone to help you actually write out stuff to put into your mods I can send you a samples of my writing and maybe help out on that part. I have tonnes of time on my hands.

15 hours ago, slydfox said:

I wish I had seen this sooner, my own fault for not checking the forums more. I love writing scenarios that I can't find anywhere else but I'm not a coder so it's more just 'fan fiction' in the end. If you're ever looking for someone to help you actually write out stuff to put into your mods I can send you a samples of my writing and maybe help out on that part. I have tonnes of time on my hands.

I'll likely hold another one in the future. This one was hastily cobbled together, so that didn't help much.

Regarding your writing contributions, I'm not opposed at all to still working something out where I could turn some of your scenarios into events. I do admit that in some areas I'm very picky about what I'd include in my mod in regards to the general direction of it - yet there is a lot of room for content - and if something is more aligned with one of the sub-mods than mine, I could see about connecting that scenario with the sub-mod author.

Long story short - PM me with one of your scenario's and let's start discussing things to see if we can make it work.

Archived