Mod change persists through uninstall and new game

ppp

The current version of Cutting Room Floor has a bug involving the added Female Noble road encounter where she and her horse never despawn, while her bodyguard does.

I decided to downgrade to the previous version and start a new game until the bug gets fixed, but discovered she still spawns, even though TESEdit says nothing is editing that quest (WERoad02).

Even if I disable Cutting Room Floor completely, she still spawns.

How?

I don't have any leftover scripts in my scripts folder.

Edit: It seems Immersive Creatures adds a Female Noble road encounter as a separate quest. That explains why there were so many Nobles on the road before. This one does despawn properly.

Did you make sure to remove ALL files from the previous version? Anyway, if you just want a quick fix you can open the console, select the npc you want to remove, and type disable. But this is not a good idea if they were meant to go elsewhere in the game.

30 minutes ago, nightwolf said:

Did you make sure to remove ALL files from the previous version? Anyway, if you just want a quick fix you can open the console, select the npc you want to remove, and type disable. But this is not a good idea if they were meant to go elsewhere in the game.

They're infinitely respawning flavor NPCs. They are supposed to be deleted after you've left the area. MarkForDelete is probably the better console command in this case.

Cutting Room Floor uses a BSA for it's files, so there would normally be no issue with leftovers, but I'd tried to write some code to delete the NPCs myself. I got bizarre compilation errors and gave up. ('Trees are not a valid topic' or some such) But yes, I'm sure I removed all the scripts. I triple-checked at least.

The Noble seems to have spawned from Skyrim Immersive Creatures, which adds a separate Female Noble encounter, as opposed to CRF, which changes an existing encounter to also have a chance to spawn the Noble. SIC's version seems to despawn properly, so that's a relief. It also explains why I'd seen so many of those encounters, and the male Noble seemed so rare. I had twice the chance to see the female. Plus 'Mercurio travelling with female Noble'.

Then I have another suggestion: Delete the encounter from the esp. It's better to have no female noble than 24 copies of the same actor. Also contact the author of the mod and inform him/her of this issue.

13 hours ago, nightwolf said:

Then I have another suggestion: Delete the encounter from the esp. It's better to have no female noble than 24 copies of the same actor. Also contact the author of the mod and inform him/her of this issue.

Already deleted the edit with TESEdit, and there's a comment on the CRF's page on the Nexus detailing the bug, with an acknowledgement by the author that the bug is legit. I'm hoping for a fix, although the author has a sticky post announcing he's ending support of Oldrim's version on January 1st, 2018.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Did you use "Script Scalpel" at any point since you changed load order?

No? Not sure what your problem is then.

Yes? There is a function built into the scalpel tool that stores a bunch of information in an XML file to speed up subsequent usage of the tool. While I am not entirely sure how the following happens, it does. That XML file can re-inject scripts into a save, even after that mod that produced the script has been removed from the load order. I once had a script from Hoamaii's Clearsky Hideout reappear over and over in a clean save that was created even after a complete re-install!! Just be sure, I completely deleted that mod from my HD, and it still showed up.

Long story short, I indexed my entire HD so that MS search function could reference the CONTENT of files, did a search for "Hoamaii" and found a single file with that word in...the very same XML file I just mentioned.

It is located in the directory Script Scalpel is located in (PDTWrapper.exe) and called "cashedclasses.xml" (yes, with the misspelling). Fortunately, that file is recreated if one doesn't exist in that folder already, so simply delete it and the next time you run the tool, a new, accurate one will be produced. More importantly, one that does't have the script snippet that is vexxing you. All of this was posted in the comments section of that mod, but the author didn't really understand what I was talking about, so no fix was put in place.

Since that tool is not part of a Skyrim install, that file is not replaced with a re-install of Skyrim. The xml file just pollutes any save that the tool is used on, until you delete that file.

Ciao!

Bug

PS!!!    You CAN save an existing save! Simply delete the XML file, re-run Script Scalpel, remove the script that keeps coming back (it won't anymore), load the resulting edited save, save again. The last save will be free of the bad script.

Archived