Re-installed Fallout+Manager Weirdness!

tm2dragon

Okay, DETAILS!  After a year of having Fallout 4 and Mod Manager uninstalled from my computer (needed the file space, and I had Horizon: Zero Dawn and Zelda to keep me occupied), I decided it was time to get back into it!  Reinstalled Fallout 4 today, no problem.  Reinstalled Nexus Mod Manager next, also no problem.  Opened UP Mod Manager, and things got strange.  All my old mods appear to be sitting there, present and accounted for.  The green checkmarks on the ones I had actively installed back then still show as checked off.  Opening the game, however, shows that this is not the case, and the game appears to be mod free (though my old saves are there, clicking on them just leaves me with the "the following mods are missing" warning, followed by a list of several DOZEN files).  As a lot of the old mods involved a bit of file shuffling to get working right (looking at you Bodyslide), I'm worried this confusion in the Mod program on what files are where could make getting things sorted out again.......complicated.  And I am NOT PC savy enough to figure out what goes where on my own, I had to spend several hours with tutorials last time!  So, on a scale of 1 to 10, how badly has this magical reappearance of old mod files (which the Manager itself seems to think are installed and working fine, when they clearly are not) screwed with my program files, and how do I get things sorted out?  I'm pretty sure I'm not even going to be USING half these mods anymore, better stuff has come out since back in 2016!

Please help?  I am SO freaking confused right now.

I'd guess what's going on there is that when you uninstalled everything, MO left the copies of the mods in it's otherwise empty install directory.  Remember MO does virtual mod installs, meaning it keeps the mods separate from the game and then tells the game where to reference them.  No overwritten files that way.

Fixing this is probably as simple as going to the mods section of your FO screen and activating the mods there, or tweaking a setting on MO.  Worst case scenario, you just re-install the mods via MO.

8 hours ago, ercramer69 said:

I had a similar issue a while back with NMM and Skyrim.  To resolve it I had to deactivate all the mods in NMM, which can be done in one action.

Then make sure NMM has the most recent version of the mods you are going to use and re-activate them.

Cool.  Just got a bit worried there. ^_^;  Some of those mods scramble files a bit, wasn't sure if I had to worry about Fallout's default file layout due to this.

Archived