Update Tangent Spaces Error

tattooedillusions

I wasn't sure if this should go here or the General but since the subject is bouncing breasts I figured I'd better put it here just in case.

I've received permission by Jonas to convert the Kristinas Closet mod to add bounce and after I converted the Skimpy Scoundrel I went to nifskope and tried to Update All Tangent Spaces so there wouldn't be that nasty sweat stain look around the nipples but every time I get this error:

"need vertices, normals, texture coordinates and faces to calculate tangents and binormals"

It says this twice in the error window. Any ideas at all? I know he used geck to texture so I put the main branches in the same order as the original and still get this error. I've never seen it before so I'm completely clueless. Thanks

Guest user29

Not sure where you're finding "update all tangent spaces", You should be right clicking on just the body, going to mesh, then "Update tangent spaces".

Though maybe you didn't mean to put the all in there in which case can't help sorry :(

Not sure where you're finding "update all tangent spaces"' date=' You should be right clicking on just the body, going to mesh, then "Update tangent spaces".

Though maybe you didn't mean to put the all in there in which case can't help sorry :(

[/quote']

Ah ha! I have always been clicking on the Scene Root, going under the Spells tab at the top, then Batch and there's Update All Tangent Spaces. I didn't realize there was that option under the meshes section for each mesh. It turns out that there are 2 cap-like sections under one of the gauntlets that don't have textures hence the 2 of the same error message. Thanks for pointing that out!

Thanks for the info and the link pride. Yet one more thing I was totally unaware of. Every time I converted something in blender I was always getting that ring so I looked into it and found something somewhere (can't remember) that said to update all tangent spaces after exporting from blender or it will cause those rings. Should I just stick to updating that specific part of the body or is there another workaround that you know of to get rid of the ring without updating tangents?

Thanks for the info and the link pride. Yet one more thing I was totally unaware of. Every time I converted something in blender I was always getting that ring so I looked into it and found something somewhere (can't remember) that said to update all tangent spaces after exporting from blender or it will cause those rings.

Probably an oblivion or F3 howto/tutorial. FONV is different. Sometimes in ways that matter' date=' sometimes not.

Should I just stick to updating that specific part of the body or is there another workaround that you know of to get rid of the ring without updating tangents?

You're asking the wrong person.. user29 here has plenty of experience editing meshes, as do a couple of other regulars like evilrunner and mastercchris. Any one of them is far more qualified than I am to answer this.. but if you ever go on to creating animations -- don't do the tangent thing.

Don't do bake constraints either. That doesn't break them in game, but it makes it impossible for other animators later to come along and fix/adjust the animation, since it turns the positions in all the keyframes from offsets to absolute values, which is impossible to automatically reverse (right now anyway -- another script could undo it, if someone wrote it.)

Probably an oblivion or F3 howto/tutorial. FONV is different. Sometimes in ways that matter' date=' sometimes not.[/quote']

Probably so. I don't even remember what I typed in the search line.

You're asking the wrong person.. user29 here has plenty of experience editing meshes' date=' as do a couple of other regulars like evilrunner and mastercchris. Any one of them is far more qualified than I am to answer this.. but if you ever go on to creating animations -- don't do the tangent thing.[/quote']

Thanks for the tips and the name drops. Ha ha that's a big if on the animation thing but if that big if does happen I will definitely remember that. Someone asked if I might be able to make an animation like Oblivion and Skyrim have. The breathing idle where they move even when your doing nothing. I told him I'll look into it because I have no knowledge at all about the .kf's or making animations. I can do bounce and I'm working on a simple mash-up right now just to get used to blender but that's about where my knowledge lies.

Don't do bake constraints either. That doesn't break them in game' date=' but it makes it impossible for other animators later to come along and fix/adjust the animation, since it turns the positions in all the keyframes from offsets to absolute values, which is impossible to automatically reverse (right now anyway -- another script could undo it, if someone wrote it.)

[/quote']

I'm probably going to get shot for this question but what is baking constraints?

Don't do bake constraints either. That doesn't break them in game' date=' but it makes it impossible for other animators later to come along and fix/adjust the animation, since it turns the positions in all the keyframes from offsets to absolute values, which is impossible to automatically reverse (right now anyway -- another script could undo it, if someone wrote it.)

[/quote']

I'm probably going to get shot for this question but what is baking constraints?

Just a random option in the niftools scripts for blender that some people blindly click on for no reason when making animations. If you ever come across it, don't click it. ;)

Ah ok so it's something that I will know when I see it. If I ever get into animations I will be sure to stay clear from that option. Thanks again for yet another informative tip.

Info from the guy who wrote it here

There's no need for it in any gamebryo stuff. I think some of the original oblivion animators were used to using it in other blender stuff they were doing, and just 'blindly' did it when making gamebryo mods as well without considering if it was warranted.

Sorry for the late reply. This one outfit was giving me fits all night long after the conversion. Every time I would do something different the outcome was always the same. Left upper part of the arm stretched from the Mojave to frickin' DC ha ha. One last attempt before moving on to the next outfit and I realized the LUpArmTwistBone branch somehow must have gotten changed during export or something because the original was right but my conversion said LUpArmTwistBone.00 Changed it and Jasmine's arm is back on her body ha ha.

Thanks for the link man. While kind of a cool idea it's definitely not worth it if it's going to be impossible to add or adjust animations later. Kind of like comparing a CD-R to CD-RW. Can't fix or add to an already burned CD-R. Damn there I go showing my age again. Now everything's iThis, iThat, flash drives etc. ha ha.

I remember that from when people were having problems with breasts stretching like Stretch Armstrong because they didn't have the right skeleton. That's what baffled me because I know I have the BNB skeleton but never thought about looking at the branches. I've seen blender/nifskope change the scene root to add a .00 at the end which gives you 2 scene roots but never saw it change one of the bone branches before. The old man gettin' schooled by blender and nifskope all on one project lol.

Archived