Anyone interested in developing Open Source Game similar to Whore Master?

dullman

Hello whilst i made few attempts to make game similar to WM by myself, it weren't any success in it since I could code, making sprites for game but couldn't make a good writing/lore/mechanic behind it.

But basically since i used commercial assets from Unity in this attempts I never could go open source, but recently I found a good GUI framework (NoesisGUI) which support also unity that is free, so since other assets I use are also free, so I can possibly go open source, but I know if I would try to develop game myself it would a long road to do it, so I search for anyone who also would like to see open source clone of WM made in C# (Unity 2017 - net 4.6).

Whilst at the beginning it would be based on image packs, but myself I would try to make dynamic sprites myself for characters, for idle animations as well any job related animations (idle would reflect their equipment whilst job would be either naked or job related equipment).

here is one of the newest attempt on sprite character in Iso style:post-4448-0-24412900-1508670573_thumb.gif

I guess something that immediately leaps out to me is the problematic nature of the sprites.  Over on PinkPetal, one of the reasons why WM was cool was the ability to create image packs for whatever girl you wanted, and to be able to share the pack with others and to use their packs in return.  If you have everything tied to sprites after the beginning, I think that will limit community buy-in.

I guess something that immediately leaps out to me is the problematic nature of the sprites.  Over on PinkPetal, one of the reasons why WM was cool was the ability to create image packs for whatever girl you wanted, and to be able to share the pack with others and to use their packs in return.  If you have everything tied to sprites after the beginning, I think that will limit community buy-in.

thats why i said we start from having image packs :) and I know being based only on sprites would not be good, so thats why my idea is using at the beginning mainly images and slowly over time include more and more sprites. Which would be generally great since I have a shader for unity that colors sprite and create new one from several existing ones, so they would be great use for random girls or even unique girls if we want to see changed equipment on sprite. 

Since I want game support to both sprites/image packs I would want to support both things from the start, and don't forget that I would also publish used sprites for anyone who wants to modify it/create own from templates but certainly i would not count much on that there would be many who would do that.

One last things the problem having sprites or image packs isn't much different from programming side, for image packs it's just loading from external source images and second it's also loading images (since all that I load and create it during runtime) with making few operations on it. 

On the end I would want to program support for both image packs and sprites, but at the beginning image packs would be main source of sex scenes in game.

my Q for this project is that , how big you want this to be? 

by big i mean how many assets there will be needed,  beside coding, as coding can be easy  or hard.

if you want to make a lot of assets , i don't think using free assets is a good ideal , you will need to find  some one to make more ( or make your self)

why i ask this is because  , why use/make  that kind of sprite character , it seem very low pixel  .

my Q for this project is that , how big you want this to be? 

by big i mean how many assets there will be needed,  beside coding, as coding can be easy  or hard.

if you want to make a lot of assets , i don't think using free assets is a good ideal , you will need to find  some one to make more ( or make your self)

why i ask this is because  , why use/make  that kind of sprite character , it seem very low pixel  .

It's the good question why I use that kind of sprite? the reason is simple It's because the pixel art I (and also it supports animations)can create myself and don't depend on third parties, so thats why I also plan to support Image Packs (it would have a larger support from the beginning), 

As for other assets besides sprites for characters I would consider that project besides UI wouldn't need much since WM was rather game which use DataGrids and big amount of girls that we manage rather than being depends on graphics. As for currently planned assets it's mainly Icons for equipments, buildings, some graphics for buttons. Maybe some map assets for graphical represent of town (but if I would want to introduce it it would in a form of Hex grid where we place new buildings in it but first I would want to see done management part of game at least for brothels jobs). 

As for coding it something that would be heart of game so as you said It can be hard or easy depends how much we would want to differ from original.

ok...  and you want to make this game open source with the assets . and...... what are you asking for?  people to make new assets with the open assets?

and it seem to me you want to put alot of work in the graphics.

Hmm I search for people who want to join development of game. 

By development process I mean sharing ideas, help with creating basic rules of game, help with implementation of it (I mean e.g. setting difficulty), If someone is willing to help with spriting I also want him, if coding there would be always code to be done.

As you said itself I do plan myself to do a lot work in graphics, but it would be done after we had a game in place ready to play with image packs and published so anyone could modify it without any problems. 

ok, i am currently making my own game with unreal and 3d model.

when i make the game  "the look" is alot more work then anything.

by the look is the feel of what the game will look like and game play.

when making the game i have to make thing step by step ,so i will know what the next step to do.  adding thing little by little and find what to put to make the game feel nice.

so what i am trying to say is that alot of big game studio ,  give up the game half way or so , is because the feel of the game is not right or not what they want.  

and it seem to me you are a little lost with your game, as you want to have alot of graphics but you don't really know what does the graphics do.

p.s , i will like to help you but i not too sure what i can do , ( my skill set, 2d drawing, 3d model, 2d/3d animation, coding with blueprint)

when making the game i have to make thing step by step ,so i will know what the next step to do.  adding thing little by little and find what to put to make the game feel nice.

so what i am trying to say is that alot of big game studio ,  give up the game half way or so , is because the feel of the game is not right or not what they want.  

and it seem to me you are a little lost with your game, as you want to have alot of graphics but you don't really know what does the graphics do.

p.s , i will like to help you but i not too sure what i can do , ( my skill set, 2d drawing, 3d model, 2d/3d animation, coding with blueprint)

Yes I understand what you mean by "look" so thats why I need someone which can help me with discussing if the idea is good for game or not, helping with creating new skills/traits/etc. that would fit a game (since sometime I create either too much traits or too little), helps with general look of UI, help with creating proper english description for stats/skills/traits/jobs/etc.

It's the first basic things that I would need to help with.

A few dozen modders on LL and nexus are currently using Unreal engine to create a very mod friendly game.

we have not formally started recruitment but I would suggest waiting out for the next couple of weeks for the official announcement.
Just though that you should know. The skill set any game development always needs are coding, animating, knowledge about shaders and of course good skills when it comes to 3D modelling.

A few dozen modders on LL and nexus are currently using Unreal engine to create a very mod friendly game.

we have not formally started recruitment but I would suggest waiting out for the next couple of weeks for the official announcement.

Just though that you should know. The skill set any game development always needs are coding, animating, knowledge about shaders and of course good skills when it comes to 3D modelling.

i read about that , and i will also like to help that  and you are also using unreal , so i can help out alot.

( as i make my own game alone,so i know alot area of thing)

but  i don't really like join a team that got too many people. 

and as you say you are not recruitment , so we will see how it goes . 

Yes I understand what you mean by "look" so thats why I need someone which can help me with discussing if the idea is good for game or not, helping with creating new skills/traits/etc. that would fit a game (since sometime I create either too much traits or too little), helps with general look of UI, help with creating proper english description for stats/skills/traits/jobs/etc.

i see , so you need people to talk to, that is hard to get .( i also hope that i got some one to talk to about my game, which is very hard to get).

yea sure we can use skype or Discord if you want. 

and i forget to say one thing, about "the look"

because you are using 2d and your sprite character that is so low pixel , you will be limit to do it a few way.

maybe something like starbound

Hmm thanks for information I certainly will look into it when it has any "official" announcement.

i read about that , and i will also like to help that  and you are also using unreal , so i can help out alot.

( as i make my own game alone,so i know alot area of thing)

but  i don't really like join a team that got too many people. 

and as you say you are not recruitment , so we will see how it goes . 

i see , so you need people to talk to, that is hard to get .( i also hope that i got some one to talk to about my game, which is very hard to get).

yea sure we can use skype or Discord if you want. 

and i forget to say one thing, about "the look"

because you are using 2d and your sprite character that is so low pixel , you will be limit to do it a few way.

maybe something like starbound

Yes it basically I need someone to talk about game, since myself It easy to get confused about some things, e.g. now I want to decide how the "stats" and other parameters would be created, modified, calculated etc. I have three approaches in mind:

1. Pure WM approach meaning all is behind hidden in code

2. My approach is everything stored in Json and lua files and the game just read it.

3. Mix of those both approaches with difference from second that json files would be used only for saving, defines for stats would be in code whilst methods to calculate, initialize etc. would be stored in lua files, so it would be easy to modify e.g. value of gained beauty points from traits.

Archived