Any adult Stellaris projects in the works?

PhutaPhreak

I've been playing a lot of modded CK2 recently, and it got me thinking back to Stellaris. I personally see potential in Stellaris, but can also see all the difficulties that coincide, what with the huge variety in species.

The most we have at the moment are the species mods with some nudity. Don't get me wrong these species mods are extremely well done, but some leader focused quest lines with adult-content would be awesome.

I remember threads around a year ago discussing this same topic, but nobody ever seemed up to the challenge.

Has anyone taken an actual shot at adult-modding Stellaris, or has it just proven too difficult to be worth the time?

It's not difficult. Narrative events or even long, multi-staged event lines are easy to set up from a technical standpoint.

But how would you make them meaningful? CK2 and Stellaris operate on very different scales. In CK2 you're zoomed in on a single person, your player character, events and gameplay revolve around individuals. In Stellaris your "player character" is your empire, gameplay is zoomed out to the point where a single unit of population is an abstract representation of anywhere between thousands and billions of people and most of your policies and decisions encompass entire planets or even species.

Meaning, all those "adult" events would have no gameplay integration, at least none that makes sense.

The only "individuals" in Stellaris are leaders but even they are kinda abstract. They're pretty much just sock puppets who get picked at random to be used by whatever event needs them. They have no history, no family, no relationships with other characters, not even a consistent-persistent personality that carries over between events, they're just... a portrait, a name and some stat bonuses that they convey to whatever fleet//army/research department they're assigned to.

Sure, they could give each other special hugs in a narrative event, but that relationship would only exist within the context of that event and it would have no bearing on gameplay outside of that. Once it's over, they'd go back to being sock puppets ready to be used again by whatever needs them in whatever role they're needed.

Alexis Kennedy (who wrote the Horizon Signal free DLC and had a patch named after) actually outlined on his blog the challenges of writing personal, small-scope stories in Stellaris: here and here

All things considered, the reasons people play Stellaris are way different from the reasons people play CK2. At least the reason I play and mod it is because I want to run giant space empires and see shiny, glowy ships shoot pretty lights at each other and make big booms (I'm spaceship-sexual, that's all the sexy stuff I need n_~) so all in all, I'm not really sure how anyone would incorporate adult stuff into Stellaris without it looking forced and out of place.

I can see adult events between entire populations, but I can't see the individual leaders being part of it, at least not like CK2

i.e. I can see an invasion of ravening tentacle beasts causing events or space amazons and describing the effects those events have on your population but not about individuals like the leaders

If you want to do a sci-fi kinky CK2, I think you'd need to do a total conversion of CK2.

I suppose there's one exception. Anomalies provide a good framework for little one-off events involving your scientists. They would still be very superficial but so were Kirk's romances in Star Trek so I guess such events could be written the same way: Scientist lands on planet, meets a tentacle monster, both gain deep cultural understanding of one another, space romance accomplished.

Give her or him some XP, maybe a trait, and send them on their way.

It gets around the issue of relationships (since the tentacle monster only exists within the context of the event) and the game already provides naturally occurring triggers for any anomalies you can imagine so that would also seamlessly integrate it into the core gameplay loop. In the end it would just come down to writing. How many interstellar one night stand scenarios can you come up with?

The only kind of mod I'd see working are those aimed at making races more sexually-prone (such as making a race of tentacle monsters that requires alien females to reproduce) and events connected to that (such as having your capital invaded by such a species) but yeah, due to the huge variety and the lack of scope into specific characters these events would only work for specific species which would likely be connected to modded in ero-traits.

So unless Paradox plans to give more focus onto leaders in the future that is as much as I can imagine for a mechanical Stellaris ero mod.

• 2 months later...

Hello! Thanks to this post, I am now working on my first mod ever! Well, my first serious mod. Dicking around in creation kit doesn't count when you're making a wooden sword of elemental smashing.

I'm still working out a few ideas. I'll go make my own post for what those ideas are, but I remembered this post back here and wanted to give you a heads up.

hehehe...

heads up...

It would be probably be more apporiate to compare to Stellaris to EU4, both "actors" in those game are the State itself rather then truely any one individual. Like Stellaris, you can hire Generals and Admrials to be a stat stick to buff your armed forces, but they don't do much beyond that. EU4 Rights of Man help quite a bit in making leaders unique, especially Monarchs, but its much more shallow compared to CK2 and its fine like that, since its clear that the State is suppose to be the main focus of the game.

But yeah, outside of Anomalies, it would hard to do adult events for individuals (and even then mostly only scientists), it would most likely have to be more planet wide events with respective modifiers.

Archived