Mod to get rid of ranged magic attacks?

Are there any mods that eliminate ranged spells, particularly destruction spells?

I'd like a Skyrim build in which ranged magickal attacks are impossible without the aid of a staff. My idea is that magic requires binding to objects: you can enchant items to cast effects, but to create those effects without the enchanted objects would be impossible or nearly so.  Enchanting would be an extremely important skill, and in order to use any sort of ranged magical attack, you'd have to have a staff or some other enchanted object such as a bow or a ring.

Shouts would also be kept as-is so as not to break quests involving them.

So is there such a mod? Is such a mod possible? Or should I just start learning to make the silly thing myself?  :-/

So is there such a mod? Is such a mod possible? Or should I just start learning to make the silly thing myself?  :-/

I have not seen anything like this, though considering how crappy magic is in this game (unless you use mods to change the way it works), making it even more useless has me wondering why bother.  I can see what you are getting at though and it could be quite interesting.

Doable, it could be in effect what you would be doing is making the spells the ammunition for the staff, choose the spell and equip the staff to cast, presumably your skill would then change the mana cost to cast it each time, hopefully you would change the damage so it scales with the skill, which currently it does not do.

And yup it would probably be something to do yourself, though taking a quick look see in the ck myself, I am thinking you would need quite some time to get it set up and working, due to what would in effect be a rebuild of the way the magic, well ranged magic anyway works in game.

A quick and dirty way would be to simply remove all ranged magic attacks, and replace them with the relevant staffs, though that would get unwieldy fast due to the weight of each staff, having to carry one for fireball, one for ice storm one, for chain lighting and one for any other ranged magic you want would rapidly take up all the carry weight, considering most staffs are about 8 or so in weight each.  Also staffs as far as I remember do not draw on the players mana pool but on the staffs inbuilt soul gem so to speak, and the skill simply get them more charges from said soul gem, not sure if it could be changed to use the characters mana pool or not though.

Hmmm, yes. It would pretty much have to be "ammo" types for the different spells. I hadn't thought of that.

I wouldn't expect me to do it anytime soon but I really like the idea. It could even be a way of making magical attacks more useful, by ramping up the damage dealt by the staves, while keeping gameplay balanced by making it progressively harder to get more powerful versions of them.

Archived