Switched to MO: Now have no HDT ingame =/

I've reinstalled Skyrim from a clean install like 3 times before, and this time I took the modding communities advice and went to MO now so that I can quickly switch out mods without leaving anything negative behind to my game. It was all going fine, and even booted up the first time after I'd gotten all the mods I wanted to install (till I remember more I want after I get tinkering with the game again), but immediately noticed that my character wasn't having any HDT physics on her. I'm at a loss as for what could be causing it, if it could be something to do with how MO is setup... or if by some scarce chance that I missed something needed for HDT physics, as I have the HDT Physics Extension, an HDT Body, XP32 Maximum Skeleton, as well as Realistic Ragdolls and Force, and even a custom XML for the effects I want.

I had tried to re-order my installed mods, thinking maybe something was overwriting something else, and no avail there, just know that even with stuff setup the first way I did it, I can't load any save without a CTD (not sure if relevant yet, or just something else stupid), but can make a new game without CTD at all, as well as play (just without HDT, if you can call that playing...), just can't load a save without CTDing at present (really thinking it could be tied to the player models not working with HDT, and the game just flat out crashes instead of trying to run without.)

Hoping someone can help me, cause I don't wanna have done all the work of manually re-installing all of my mods into MO to of been for a waste of a clean re-install :P

*EDIT* : I re-read the HDT Physics Guide posted on the forums, and it pointed out to make sure the skeleton is not over-written by anything, I moved that to the end of my load order, and fixed my HDT physics problem, still instantly CTD on a load game, will look into that, but if anyone else is having a problem with HDT not showing up just remember to try having your skeleton installed after everything else.

*EDIT2* : For those that are curious, found out my CTD source, using a newer ENB file for an older ENB preset... Gotta love the simple weird stuff that breaks games :P

few ideas, some of which you've probably already tried, but my approach has always been "start throwing things at the wall and see what sticks" so:

1) Make sure you run FNIS from within MO, it won't register anything from your mods if you run it externally (not 100% sure FNIS was used for HDT but running it can never HURT your install)

2) make sure you made the proper ini tweaks any of your mods called for both through the MO ini editor and in the actual ini files themselves, at least on windows 10 MO can be finnicky about which file it reads from, for some reason I never could quite resolve mine was reading from the ini on my OneDrive

3) if you're using "continue" to load the save, try going down to "load" and manually choosing the save you want to load, it might not make a lot of sense but I've had that cause crashes so often I've stopped using continue for bethesda games

4) the save you're trying to load could be corrupted, not 100% clear on whether or not you can load any saves at all or just a particular save

if none of these work and you don't get any other answers, hit me up on the discord, I'll see what you said there much quicker than here and can work to get the issue resolved faster

Hmmmmmmm.

Got no specs, but I got some generics:

Step 1 when going MO: Configure MO itself (things like the External fomod installer, for the gui on fomods) and know MO uses its own skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini, but MO has included edit-window for those as well.

Step 2: Executables. MO autograbs the Skyrims and SKSE. You manually have to add the rest (bodyslide, tes5edit, GenerateFNISforUsers etc.)

Step 3: Mods. All mods inside /mods/ directory, which itself is inside MO main directory. You can open mods directory in ordinary Windows Explorer and create a new dir. inside and MO sees it as a new mod. This is the way some mods should be added. Basically the "failsafe" way of Manual Install (failsafe becus you dont need to search around to uninstall, you just delete the directory). Plain SKSE-PLUGINS ("mods" that come only with a /skse/ folder and are basically just a .dll (+ included .ini) file) "should" be done this way. HDT PE is such a case I suppose.

Step 4: Overwrite. This ominous directory is where MO puts everything generated by MO-linked executables unless otherwise specified. Bodyslide has its own in-app method to specify output directory, set that up on its very first use.

Overwrite directory, thus MO itself, does -not- read shortcuts. The filetype ".lnk" does not affect MO's "Virtual /Data/" AT ALL. Make use of this: Pack it full of shortcuts if need be. Like links to Bodyslide output "mod", bashpatch "mod", FNIS output "mod" etc. 

Step 5: Patches like Wyre Bash/Smash's "bashed patch, 0.esp" gotta be removed from Overwrite as well, Manually make a mod out of that, see step 3, and give it a visible name.

So your problems are fixed? Since you're new to MO, some hints:

you can easily check if something is partly overwritten when you look for the _. A means "I'm overwriting something", and a flash that this file is completly redundant, although MO was wrong in this respect once.

And something that happened more often to me than last years: If MO tells you "no .esp found" when you activate a mod (means, it's installed in MO on the left side, but unchecked and you check it), just uncheck and check again and it should work. Not sure why this happens to me sometimes, might be energy save mode from Windows or i'm too unpatient and click too fast. ;)

Archived