Skyrim: Tipical Noob with problems

friki987

(sorry for my bad english)

And here's your tipical n00b :D

I've never played Skyrim, I've never played Oblivion (I'm a sinner, I Know).

But I got Skyrim little time ago. And I just started to play because I saw the mods, And I really wanted a hot chick fighting with trolls and stuff.

So I made an account here, and on Nexus, I downloaded the Nexus manager...

But I have only mannaged to made work the Caliente's CCBE (yes, even using the Nexus Manager).

I know, I've only played Skyrim for a couple hours. But:

-it's there a progress that I must made to use mods?

-how does clothing mods work?, I try to install them but even installed they doesn't show.

-I have a huge problem with faces and hair styles, even installed, I go to the ShowRaceMenu console, but they doesn't work :/

For clothes and armor mods, there shouldn't be any real requirement or a connection to game progress besides having completed the tutorial to be free to roam all of Skyrim.

Except for the few equipment mods that make use of an auto-add script, any gear you install is placed somewhere in the game world, be it in a container, lying around in a particular location or even in the possession of an NPC or enemy.

In the latter case you probably either have to steal the item(s) or defeat that enemy which is a kind or requirement - pickpocketing skills or battle prowess would be deciding factors there.

Read any document/readme that comes with a mod to get a hint about the location of the items this mod adds. Or when you download a file, read the mod's description to learn the location. Good modders also include a picture, maybe of the world map, to show you were they placed their stuff. If only the name of a location is given, search the web for a complete map of Skyrim (as the one included in the box might be pretty but is more or less just a useless but decorative gimmick).

The description also contains important information about true requirements. I can't really say much about Skyrim mods, about the only thing I installed was a nude body replacer before returning to Oblivion for good. But Oblivion has systems like 'Modular Beautiful People'. Lots of races, skin and hair mods depend on such systems to show up in the game. Maybe the faces and hair styles you downloaded and installed are specific to a particular race or are dependent from such a race overhaul.

Just an exaggerated example: If you get a mod 'The Prettiest Breton In Tamriel' but your player character's race is Orc, it's not probable you will profit from the hairstyles included as they are tailored to a completely different race. Again, the description or the readme will explain what you need to make a mod work.

There is also the possibility either you have put the files to a wrong location, the modder has messed up the folder structure or even that the mod manager screwed up. Installation instructions are also a vital part of any readme/mod description.

Edit: There's one thing I totally forgot to mention since I assumed it to be crystal clear. But considering you are new to using mods in this kind of game, I'd better bring it up explicitly: Every mod that comes with an esp file has to be activated so you can use it. When you start the game, the first window you see is the Skyrim launcher. Click on 'Data Files' and check your newly installed mod's esp. Only then it will effect the game.

Sorry for forgetting about this most essential step in using mods!

Good to hear! It's getting better all the time. With each mod you download and install, you gain more experience and develop a hang for this whole modding thing. You start developing a sense for what you really want to get out of the game.

There's almost nothing impossible with mods. They give you an unrivaled power over games, the power to change anything to your liking.

I originally had been a console player for many years, I played Oblivion to death on the XBox 360. But I was aware there are these expansions people can install for the PC version of that game to somehow tweak it in some ways. Like cheat codes for console games. Or so I thought...

Little did I know how addictive and also creative this whole modding business can be. When I say 'creative', I mean that after a while, you see that little edits and tweaks aren't really difficult to pull off. Anyone can learn how to mod, this is the next step after just using these plugins. Editing anything to personalize your game even more is simply fascinating.

Since I discovered the joys of a modded game as well as the fun of modding itself, I haven't touched any of my consoles ever again, for a whole year now. Chances are one day you will eventually feel the same way.

Archived