Issue with main quest line and no idea where to look for

HowlingWolf

Dear community,

It's been a while since I delved into the world of modding for Skyrim and with the upcoming release of Skyrim Special Edition I wanted to start off with a new character. Everything went fine up until Hadvar didn't want to come out of that first cave at Helgen, secondly when approaching the guard at the gates of Whiterun he didn't approach me and tell me the city is closed. Luckily I had a work around since I was pickpocketing like a crazy person, so I just stole the gate key and opened the gate myself. Full of confidence I walked the steps towards Dragon's Reach but upon entering Irileth didn't confront me and Jarl Balgruuf was stuffing his face with a pile of sweet rolls on the table. Talking to both triggered their events but only theirs. So when Jarl Balgruuf said his first lines and I replied with the answer that Helgen was completely destroyed a reply from I believe the steward should follow up normally. Alas this reply remained absent.

Now I have done some small research but since it's been quite a while that I've installed older addons I have no idea where to start. Is there anyone who can teach me how I can find errors and resolve them myself. I have some programming experience so reading out log files won't be such a big problem. I just need to know how, where and what to look for and I'll attempt to resolve it myself at first. (As in: "It's better to teach a man how to fish rather than giving him the fish" if you catch my drift).

If there are any details needed for this topic don't hessitate to ask me for them. I chose to post my question here since my list contains some *ahum* peculiar mods which are not generally accepted by other communities. 

Also my apologies if I posted this in the wrong table, again I'm quite unfamiliar with communication with the forums and I believe I posted this in the right board.

Thanks in advance for (considering to) help me!

That whiterun guard never gets off his butt to ask me for money anymore, unless I install

a mod I eventually decide I do not like, when he temporarily asks for a bribe.

Hadvar or the other guy (Ralof) can be left to rot.

Irileth is a clue, if you haven't done something, she stands there or asks a favor (in my game).

If everything is normal and the mods aren't being pissy, she'll approach, sword drawn.

I can't remember the exact sequence, but I DO know ralof and riverwood can be skipped.

I think it's helgenexterior, find journal,

read journal,

dump the journal,

Bleak-falls barrow

gather the supplies,

Riverwood, leer at what's her name (return claw)

dragonsreach, watch for Irileth and her sword.

blow off the nerdy mage, (end conversation)

wait for irileth,

and the rest you know (and stuff)

so forget the guard

forget riverwood

forget the cave.

Yup. post your mod list. "...since it's been quite a while that I've installed older addons I have no idea where to start" what do you mean? that you started this new game with a full modded game? it's a high risk to throw a bunch of mods in the first stages (bugged carriages, bugged events, etc). Best practice (from my pov) is to start with the essentials mods, then add mods by priority, and patch. Or use an alternative start mod, the vanilla one tends to act funny because fuck you, that's it :P

Dear community,

It's been a while since I delved into the world of modding for Skyrim and with the upcoming release of Skyrim Special Edition I wanted to start off with a new character. Everything went fine up until Hadvar didn't want to come out of that first cave at Helgen, secondly when approaching the guard at the gates of Whiterun he didn't approach me and tell me the city is closed. Luckily I had a work around since I was pickpocketing like a crazy person, so I just stole the gate key and opened the gate myself. Full of confidence I walked the steps towards Dragon's Reach but upon entering Irileth didn't confront me and Jarl Balgruuf was stuffing his face with a pile of sweet rolls on the table. Talking to both triggered their events but only theirs. So when Jarl Balgruuf said his first lines and I replied with the answer that Helgen was completely destroyed a reply from I believe the steward should follow up normally. Alas this reply remained absent.

Now I have done some small research but since it's been quite a while that I've installed older addons I have no idea where to start. Is there anyone who can teach me how I can find errors and resolve them myself. I have some programming experience so reading out log files won't be such a big problem. I just need to know how, where and what to look for and I'll attempt to resolve it myself at first. (As in: "It's better to teach a man how to fish rather than giving him the fish" if you catch my drift).

If there are any details needed for this topic don't hessitate to ask me for them. I chose to post my question here since my list contains some *ahum* peculiar mods which are not generally accepted by other communities. 

Also my apologies if I posted this in the wrong table, again I'm quite unfamiliar with communication with the forums and I believe I posted this in the right board.

Thanks in advance for (considering to) help me!

Open console, type 'setstage mq102 110'...that should get you right where you 'have told the Jarl'. If not try again with 160 instead of 110, that should end quest, gets you reward, and move onto next one.

Just to be sure... you don't use the extended Skyrim with mods (from here), right? I'm not entirely sure if it's actually avaivable, but the new version won't work with many mods here yet, and maybe never will. That's the reason i'm not that much intrested in checking the release. ;)

If you try new version with mods, definitly problematic are all mods that require SKSE (they'll make an update, though) and FNIS (don't know if anybody makes an update, fore said he won't and it's a lot of work to do).

Archived