[Solved] Making the DDS Textures Work In My NIF File

gingerstale

Ok here is the thing, I merged two SAM (SAM mod) files which are malebody and genitals using NIFSkope. I can see the textures applied correctly inside the program. I even checked the nif file using Outfitter (BodySlide). The textures are placed properly. When I open the game the genitals are displayed properly. Though, they have the malebody textures instead of the assigned genitals textures (dds maps). It is so frustrating trying to find what is causing this issue.

I have found reference to setting the Num UV Sets to 4096. Though, in NIFSkope 2.x the option is grayed out. I have seen people suggest I go back to an older version and I did. I am currently using 1.1.0RC5 and found two Num UV Sets entries for the suggested NiTriShapeData. One is set to 0 and the other is set at 1. The former is grayed out while the second is not. So, I changed the second one to 4097. After that, I tested and same thing. So, I did what is suggested in this guide exactly:

In block details for the NiTriShapeData make sure Has Normals is set to Yes. Num UV sets is set to 4097. And then Spells>batch>update tangent space

Still the same result. I wonder why the DDS files are not working for me at all.

Here is the merged file:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6h3olji4v86qsyi/malebody_0.nif

there's a reason if there's 2 nifs

body armor addon have a texture path in the esm, textures\actors\character...

whatever you put in the nif textures is ignored, game load the texture path of the esm

for all meshes that have vertex colors in the nif

game may load the nif texture path if you delete it from the armor addon (some skyrim armors have astrid texture, other load e:\game... bad idea)

or you can give sbp_x to that meshe, and add an armor addon to the body armor that load sbp_x with another texture path

or you create one armor for each nif (the solution that take more time)

Hello yatol and thanks for the reply. Well, the thing is I saw that the SAM mod is working properly. The two nif files are malebody and genitals. When I use the SAM mod and I unequip the chest on the male player. The game substitutes the second nif (I see the empty space for genitals and then the game suddenly places the genitals nif). The textures are applied properly too. Though, the SAM mod is causing issues where the player disappears. So, I am doing this to have a small mod for private use without all the fuss and scripts of SAM.

So, after many attempts I managed to merge the genitals from the genitals nif into the first malebody nif. I read that you need to set some properties to force the nif to load the custom maps. I used the notes from here:

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4068

I know by default that the default textures are placed on the meshes. So, I was hoping I would change that behavior using the guide above. That did not help me. I even tried finding a way to accomplish this even by a mean of hack (using underwear dds but I realized that underwear does not even have all the required dds files).

Note that I want the genitals to show only on removing the chest. I do not care for armor modifications.

Are you telling me I cannot accomplish a straight forward custom maps support? Thanks again.

P.S. I wonder if I need to generate a custom ESP file to force the loading of those custom textures. To be honest, I do not even know what the ESP serves. I used a hex editor and I saw the DDS files inside it. So, I used the ESP files from SAM on my mod. That did not help either.

Those are the files I merged. Please ignore the merged file since its an outdated nif that I used when I was learning how to merge:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/punc77sd01zh709/male.zip

there's no need to do that stuff

load tesedit

copy paste the genital armor addon of the mod into x

go to race

go to the id of the skin

go the those skins armors and copy paste the nude body armors into mod x

go to armature, add one, copy paste the id of genital armor addon (no need to add sbp_x of the meshes to the armor, probably, don't remember)

now that nude body armor have that genital nif

Edit: I examined the stuff inside the ESP file and found out the relation between the nude body and the genitals then came to the conclusion that what I did is beating around the bushes. I removed my modified malebody file and brought the original one + genitals nifs. Then removed the underwear NiData node under malebody and started the game. Everything is working perfectly. Thanks a lot, yatol. To be honest, I did not quite understand what you said but your note regarding what I am doing put me in the right direction to the solution. I really appreciate it.

P.S. I used the original SAM ESP file with some cleaning.

skinnaked armor is in malereplacer esp (going to race that's to get the id, too many armors to search it)

click on it, add 28001300 under amature, it's just that to add those genitals to the nude armor

161007012759921598.jpg

there are other skinnaked armors (orcs, khajits, argonians)

would have been faster to install sos and replace its nifs with the ones from sam

Archived