oblivion requires more than metro 2033 ?

Well i will try to make it short, as the following is boring and my english is terrible.

I m used to run an heavily modded oblivion, like everybody here (60Gb data folder, 200+ mod)

My old computer was a core 2 duo 8500, 2gb ram, amd 4870x2. It was running fine, even if sometime the framerate was not too good (lack of ram i guess, DD is swaping).

I make a ctrl+c, ctrl-v of my oblivion folder (steam) on my new computer (i5 3870, amd 6870, 8gb ram). Savedgame are loading but with something like 3 FPS. If i start a new game (with graphic setting put on "high" only in the laucher), i got 12 FPS in the street of IC, without any new NPC, without modded texture if i remember well (just body texture).

I didnt buy a top ended computer, but what the hell, why it is sooo slow, oblivion is old and my previous computer was not better ? I have to make a proper install ?

Well i will try to make it short' date=' as the following is boring and my english is terrible.

I m used to run an heavily modded oblivion, like everybody here (60Gb data folder, 200+ mod)

My old computer was a core 2 duo 8500, 2gb ram, amd 4870x2. It was running fine, even if sometime the framerate was not too good (lack of ram i guess, DD is swaping).

I make a ctrl+c, ctrl-v of my oblivion folder (steam) on my new computer (i5 3870, amd 6870, 8gb ram). Savedgame are loading but with something like 3 FPS. If i start a new game (with graphic setting put on "high" only in the laucher), i got 12 FPS in the street of IC, without any new NPC, without modded texture if i remember well (just body texture).

I didnt buy a top ended computer, but what the hell, why it is sooo slow, oblivion is old and my previous computer was not better ? I have to make a proper install ?

[/quote']

If you have the steam version then try verifying the files through the steam options.

Also you need to go in and delete your oblivion.ini file that is in your my documents folder. After doing this then run oblivion with the oblivion.exe file so no mods load (DO NOT USE OBSE_loader.exe). Once you get to the title screen you can exit oblivion. What this did is generate a new oblivion.ini file for you that will match your new computers specifications.

Using the old ini file is forcing you computer to use the old specifications thus slowing things down.

You may also have to delete RendererInfo.txt

If you have the steam version then try verifying the files through the steam options.

Also you need to go in and delete your oblivion.ini file that is in your my documents folder. After doing this then run oblivion with the oblivion.exe file so no mods load (DO NOT USE OBSE_loader.exe). Once you get to the title screen you can exit oblivion. What this did is generate a new oblivion.ini file for you that will match your new computers specifications.

Using the old ini file is forcing you computer to use the old specifications thus slowing things down.

You may also have to delete RendererInfo.txt

I forgot to say i have deleted everything but the saves in the oblivion folder in mydoc\mygames. With an old ini game was crashing at start.

I just tried this morning to make a new instalation and, as intended, game is running at 100FPS+ all the time.

Then if i copy/past old data folder on this (keeping the vanilla *.bsa) new installation the old good 3 FPS is coming back.

I guess its time to install mod one by one.

I forgot to say i have deleted everything but the saves in the oblivion folder in mydoc\mygames. With an old ini game was crashing at start.

I just tried this morning to make a new instalation and' date=' as intended, game is running at 100FPS+ all the time.

Then if i copy/past old data folder on this (keeping the vanilla *.bsa) new installation the old good 3 FPS is coming back.

I guess its time to install mod one by one.

[/quote']

You can try this rather than moving the entire data folder:

1. Move the meshes, textures, sounds and ini folders over.

2. Move the esm and esp mod files (not anything vanilla).

3. Move any NON-vanilla bsa files (meaning only mod added ones not the ones the game comes with).

4. Install new all your utilities programs like OBSE, Wrye, OBMM, WeOPS, Streamline.

5. Install new any UI mods (like DarnUI or DarkUI).

This should get you overs the hump.

Well just off the top of my head, the main difference is moving from dual video GPUs to a single. Another thing you didn't mention is if you ran LOD generator again. any changes to you video resolution or GPU will require new calculations to your LOD files. Also you didn't mention if you are using the old INI file, which would have been optimized for your old system and not properly utilizing you new graphics and Processor.

Archived