[Sims4] HQ modding???

Afro68

While I haven't tweaked my Sims 4 yet (mainly because I'm waiting for WickedWoohoo to mature in its development first) I did take a quick look at the link you provided. It looks intimidating but it doesn't seem terribly difficult, but it is lengthy mainly because the author is trying to be informative (which is good I guess). The first step alone actually is a requirement just so you can enable custom content. The second step is also a requirement because from my understanding the Sims games are locked as far as the size of textures are allowed for the sake of performance. I believe the Sims 3 had a similar issue and resolution, i.e. modifying the GraphicsRules file. The rest of the steps are so you can finally get the look to appear in the game, and step 4 is actually more of a troubleshooting step just incase you run into any of the problems mentioned.

IMO though, it would be a lot simpler if there was a way to use the already-created TS4 Mod Manager, but from my understanding they only deal with .package files and such, but not other game files such as .sgr or whatever, which could potentially break the game if they're messed up. (It's almost like dealing with Skyrim's .ini files.)

While I haven't tweaked my Sims 4 yet (mainly because I'm waiting for WickedWoohoo to mature in its development first) I did take a quick look at the link you provided. It looks intimidating but it doesn't seem terribly difficult, but it is lengthy mainly because the author is trying to be informative (which is good I guess). The first step alone actually is a requirement just so you can enable custom content. The second step is also a requirement because from my understanding the Sims games are locked as far as the size of textures are allowed for the sake of performance. I believe the Sims 3 had a similar issue and resolution, i.e. modifying the GraphicsRules file. The rest of the steps are so you can finally get the look to appear in the game, and step 4 is actually more of a troubleshooting step just incase you run into any of the problems mentioned.

IMO though, it would be a lot simpler if there was a way to use the already-created TS4 Mod Manager, but from my understanding they only deal with .package files and such, but not other game files such as .sgr or whatever, which could potentially break the game if they're messed up. (It's almost like dealing with Skyrim's .ini files.)

I might go ahead and give it a go on my off days from work. I'm one of these people that doesn't mind fucking my game up to learn something new. Plus since I'm new to Sims 4 I don't have a lot of mods and CC. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few.

I tried this. From what I read it was simple stuff, still didn't get it to work tho but I didn't irreparably break my game either. It turned all my sims to black shadows, which the guide addresses, but didn't fix my issue. If you get it to work, let me know how it works for you. I'll admit, I'm not quite sure what it was talking about in step 3 and didn't do any of that so that may be my problem :)

I tried this. From what I read it was simple stuff, still didn't get it to work tho but I didn't irreparably break my game either. It turned all my sims to black shadows, which the guide addresses, but didn't fix my issue. If you get it to work, let me know how it works for you. I'll admit, I'm not quite sure what it was talking about in step 3 and didn't do any of that so that may be my problem :)

I don't get what he's saying in step three either. Also, another deterrent might be the fact that I might have to edit a lot of cc to get this to work. That's not too cool.

I don't get what he's saying in step three either. Also, another deterrent might be the fact that I might have to edit a lot of cc to get this to work. That's not too cool.

I'm gonna assume that step 3 only applies to you IF you wanted to use a different set of eyes, as mentioned in his note on 2.3.2. You basically would need to ensure your own custom eyes had the correct texture resolution sizes, for example the diffuse texture would need to be 2048 x 4096, etc. But if you're not gonna be messing around with these files then you should theoretically be able to skip step 3.

I'm gonna assume that step 3 only applies to you IF you wanted to use a different set of eyes, as mentioned in his note on 2.3.2. You basically would need to ensure your own custom eyes had the correct texture resolution sizes, for example the diffuse texture would need to be 2048 x 4096, etc. But if you're not gonna be messing around with these files then you should theoretically be able to skip step 3.

I went back and gave it another shot. Took all my mods out and installed this fresh and alone, still black shadow people. Welp, I tried, maybe somebody else will figure something out as the skins do look nice. Until then I'll wait for Lumia's skins to be updated.

I gave this my best shot too and everyone was still black like Sims 3 when you didn't have the proper skin. Hopefully someone will find a better way for this.

After a bit of drinking I actually went back and tried again. It seems I missed downloading one of the files... shit like that tends to break a mod. Lol. That said, I did get it to work. However, my results looked nothing like what was on the website. Even if they did, as the description mentions, you have to "patch" all your cc to work with the mod and I have way too much cc for that. Lumia is back and releasing stuff so new skins should be out eventually, I'll keep waiting on that update as this mod has too many strings attached. 

I gave this my best shot too and everyone was still black like Sims 3 when you didn't have the proper skin. Hopefully someone will find a better way for this.

After a bit of drinking I actually went back and tried again. It seems I missed downloading one of the files... shit like that tends to break a mod. Lol. That said, I did get it to work. However, my results looked nothing like what was on the website. Even if they did, as the description mentions, you have to "patch" all your cc to work with the mod and I have way too much cc for that. Lumia is back and releasing stuff so new skins should be out eventually, I'll keep waiting on that update as this mod has too many strings attached. 

Good one bro, I was always hesitant as I'm not about to re-edit most of the CC I add for that to work right. 

• 2 years later...

Archived