I want to learn how to mod clothes like add brand new ones it the game. Is anyone willing to help me get started?

you could do some preliminary research Nightasy has some great tutorials on youtube on make new clothes and stuff, I am still trying to figure it out myself since i want some Dawn outfits from Joseph michael lisners. But i would start there.

Is not difficult if you know how to modelling a mesh.

In the first steps forget about modding itself, don't look for fallout or skyrim, look for the program tutorials.

Find a program that you can buy/get or like it, i see most of people using max or blender here

Find a tutorial on how to make clothes for that program

After you learn the basic on how to model clothes, make sure you understand the other concepts of UV's, texture channels etc...

Them use the CBBE base to model your own clothes

After you have the clothes done in the cbbe model, comes the easy part, put in the game, outfit studio makes that step very easy.

ralfetas speaks truth.

If you're absolute novice in 3d, don't start with "I want to make a mod for Fallout 4". Start with "I want to learn modelling and texturing".

Start with picking a software. 3ds max, maya or blender or modo are probably your best choices for modelling.

All these programs have good and bad sides, so I will only focus on MODELLING and UV part of those. I will not consider their animation or vfx simulation capabilities. 

For tutorials you can safely go to Digital Tutors introductions.

3ds max is a long-time standard for 3d modelling in almost all areas, and most of all games, due to a lot of reasons, for example the control over triangulation you have in it, but don't have in, for example, maya. Most of gamedev companies use max for modelling, including Bethesda. Speaking of modding for Fallout 4, 3ds max also has niftools plugin which supports more features than alternatives. Internet is full of 3ds max tutorials.  

Modo is a modern and some could say next-generation 3ds modelling software. Everyone says that it is currently the best software for modelling out there, most easy to use, with a lot of cool features, and intuitive. But it is also relatively new. 

Maya is also good at modelling, but it is more aimed at animation and rigging and fx. It was always aimed more at cinema and cartoons and animation, but gamedev studios start using it a lot nowadays. Mostly because of how easy it is to script and extend maya with plugins and stuff. Some people enjoy modelling in it much more than in max. 

Blender is free. Thats it :D It's has a somewhat different UI. Closer to modo probably than max or maya.

You may also consider learning other programs which support you modelling workflow. For example ZBrush for sculpting. You will still need one of the above to create topology, UVs and export it.

well... something like that.

i got 3ds max for free because im a college student- all that is required is giving a college name and theyll hand it you.

too bad my pc sucks because its just a notebook14 otherwise id use it

ralfetas speaks truth.

If you're absolute novice in 3d, don't start with "I want to make a mod for Fallout 4". Start with "I want to learn modelling and texturing".

Start with picking a software. 3ds max, maya or blender or modo are probably your best choices for modelling.

To be honest, I disagree with that. I personally find that it's way easier to learn a programm with a clear goal in mind and not just for the sake of learning it. But it's true that you have to make baby steps.

For the beginning I would start with something small and easy, for example the retex of an existing armor.

Pick an armor you like and think how you want to retex it and just do it. That way you have a clear goal and can learn all the steps and techniques needed to make your retex.

After that you can try to learn how to use Outfit Studio, for example by converting armors from Skyrim to Fallout, or from one Fallout body to another. Or you could do your own mashups.

After that you can try to model your own armor. At that point you can also start with something simple, like a hat, or swimsuit/underwear and then work your way up to more complex outfits.

ralfetas speaks truth.

To be honest, I disagree with that. I personally find that it's way easier to learn a programm with a clear goal in mind and not just for the sake of learning it. But it's true that you have to make baby steps.

For the beginning I would start with something small and easy, for example the retex of an existing armor.

Pick an armor you like and think how you want to retex it and just do it. That way you have a clear goal and can learn all the steps and techniques needed to make your retex.

After that you can try to learn how to use Outfit Studio, for example by converting armors from Skyrim to Fallout, or from one Fallout body to another. Or you could do your own mashups.

After that you can try to model your own armor. At that point you can also start with something simple, like a hat, or swimsuit/underwear and then work your way up to more complex outfits.

The goal is to make a clothe, every software you learn you need to have a objective, or is best to just read the help from any program.

I don't agreed with this retex thing, if you know how a good texture is made, you know that you need to know 3d to make a good texture.

The goal is to make a clothe, every software you learn you need to have a objective, or is best to just read the help from any program.

I don't agreed with this retex thing, if you know how a good texture is made, you know that you need to know 3d to make a good texture.

Yeah for a good texture, just to learn the software (photoshop / gimp) it's enough to make an okay texture.

Anyway there are many roads to rome and the way I described was the one I took.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm so 3ds max is the way to then? I almost bought daz3d cause I was wanting to create my own PA but more like mech warrior where it is a vehicle but a little more bulky like for instance the Marauder from Mechwarrior 2. But also for Dawn stuff and some more skin tight suits that can be retrofitted to use the underlayer system (the only real good thing FO4 has). Ill give 3ds max a try. thanks for the tips you guys.

Hmm so 3ds max is the way to then? I almost bought daz3d cause I was wanting to create my own PA but more like mech warrior where it is a vehicle but a little more bulky like for instance the Marauder from Mechwarrior 2. But also for Dawn stuff and some more skin tight suits that can be retrofitted to use the underlayer system (the only real good thing FO4 has). Ill give 3ds max a try. thanks for the tips you guys.

No, Daz can't really be compared to max. Max is a professional instrument which allows you to create models, animatings, rigs, etcetc, while Daz is basically just a poser, you can't really create new stuff with it. Not that i know of at least.

Archived