Create NPC with custom race

mastergundam747

open custom race.esp (don't set it as active)->find any already existing npc in actors list and duplicate it->rename it->edit and set whatever race you want->edit your npc's face->place your npc somewhere in the world->save as new .esp

Thanks' date=' I created an npc following your instructions, but when I try to use "player.placeat me XXXXXX" the game CTD. Any idea how to solve that?

Also, how do you solve head discolouration problems?

[/quote']

Not sure about what's causing the ctd, what npc did you duplicate? Did you made that npc unique and did you place it somewhere in the world in creation kit?

For the head/body tone mismatch - find your npc in actors list, select it and ctrl+f4.

If you aren't familiar with creation kit/construction kit/geck, there are plenty of creation kit tutorials on youtube explaining how to do simple stuff like creating/customizing npcs, etc.

This time I tried making another NPC using a vanila race' date=' and it worked (except for face discolouration) but then when I made her a Moonshadow elf (later a drow), they both result in a CTD =(

[/quote']

Which particular race mods are you using to do what you're are attempting to do? Do you have links so I can load them up and see what goes?

well, i tried making a new race before, an elf race with human face and longer ears. i did what Chekist said (didn't set the new race .esp as active), but every time i open the CK after saving and closing, my new npc of the new race is set to fox race. i did not try it in game 'cause it may ruin my skyrim.

then i decided to set the custom race .esp as active. remade the new npc, save and close CK. when i reopen it, my new npc is not set to fox race anymore, but it is set to my custom race. opened Skyrim, meet my new npc, ask her to follow me, everything works fine, except that it would CTD when entering a dungeon or a city (this occurs randomly)

so i guess you should try to set your custom race .esp to active, then modify your npc, save it (saving will update your custom race .esp)

note: i did not modify any npcs, i made a new one based on my custom race. hope this helps.

well' date=' i tried making a new race before, an elf race with human face and longer ears. i did what Chekist said (didn't set the new race .esp as active), but every time i open the CK after saving and closing, my new npc of the new race is set to fox race. i did not try it in game 'cause it may ruin my skyrim.

then i decided to set the custom race .esp as active. remade the new npc, save and close CK. when i reopen it, my new npc is not set to fox race anymore, but it is set to my custom race. opened Skyrim, meet my new npc, ask her to follow me, everything works fine, except that it would CTD when entering a dungeon or a city (this occurs randomly)

so i guess you should try to set your custom race .esp to active, then modify your npc, save it (saving will update your custom race .esp)

note: i did not modify any npcs, i made a new one based on my custom race. hope this helps.

[/quote']

The custom race esp should be made into an esm and set as master to your npc.esp. A race file should always be an esm. It's a library. The esp you make should then use that esm as a master and make npcs and changes in the esp. An esm will always be loaded before any esp by the game and the data will be there for the esp to use.

Note, this is not so important when the race is only used for the PC rather than NPCs as your savegame is loaded last.

Take a look through the other thread: http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=5192

Edit: start around here although not all will apply to you.

http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=5192&pid=141404#pid141404

@TheSmithsDog

ahh, i see... so i've been doing it wrong all this time, even though it works.

but i don't play my custom race and its npcs anymore, cause the longer ear i used is from airy armor pack, and i only so far created one npc of that race. figured out that the npc can use the ears if i made a new armor of it inside my .esp, put it into an outfit list and make it the default outfit that my npc wears.

but thanks anyway... hope what you said helps the author of this thread, mastergundam747.

yay! learned a technique for CK today! CK skill level increased!

@TheSmithsDog

ahh' date=' i see... so i've been doing it wrong all this time, even though it works.

but i don't play my custom race and its npcs anymore, cause the longer ear i used is from airy armor pack, and i only so far created one npc of that race. figured out that the npc can use the ears if i made a new armor of it inside my .esp, put it into an outfit list and make it the default outfit that my npc wears.

but thanks anyway... hope what you said helps the author of this thread, mastergundam747.

yay! learned a technique for CK today! CK skill level increased!

[/quote']

Yep it certainly works by editing up the esp itself in most cases. It can just be problematic. Too many problems arise when you want to use hair mods and all to customise NPCs. If the hair was was esm, the race another esm, you just load them both as non active, make the npc, give it the hair or whatever etc you want and save to a new esp that contains your NPC and puts it in game somewhere. Nothing can get broken beyond the esp you made.

Just don't forget to add:

[General]

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1

to your SkyrimEditor.ini(in same dir as TESV.exe) so you can load more than one esm as a master to your esp.

Archived