Mysteriously Disappearing NPCs

Okay, third attempt to post this.  The papyrus log is too long and keeps crashing my browser.

The issue is that I have NPCs (including followers) disappearing from view.  They are still in the game as I can speak to them when I stumble across them; I can speak to them, they impact my sneaking, and I am pretty sure they still engage in combat and spellcasting.  I can get unique NPCs to reappear, with mixed results, with the enable/disable console commands.  I have not had any issues with crashing (which is why the papyrus log is so long).

I believe it may be related to HDT physics and the related mods that depend on it; I have witnessed a couple NPCS, prior to disappearance they sort of bleed their entire body sideways to the edge of the screen.  I have the occasional issue with breasts, butts, and dicks extending off into infinity (rare, but its happened enough for me to recognize it).  Either a clothing mod or a follower mod are causing it, imo.  Don't really care about restarting the game, but I would like my next one to be absent the issue (I am really hoping it's not skimpy clothing mods  :s ).

I took a video, which I will link once it finishes converting and uploading.  The points of interest on the log will be this many minutes after the log initiates:

3:25

7:15-7:45

9:15

19:55-20:20

22:10-22:30

32:35-35:35

Papyrus.0.7z

modlist.7z

loadorder.7z

It's just one of the unfortunate side effects of running a lot of HDT mods, the more HDT stuff you have installed the more likely it is to happen on cell load.

It gets particularly frequent if you have HDT body mods + HDT clothing/armour + HDT hair on your followers and on most of the npc's, although HDT hair seems to be the most common culprit it may just be the final straw rather than the main cause of the problem.

I have the same issue, i find that if i select the invisible person in the console and disable and re-enable them they re-appear. It started for me after installing an hdt hair mod so as the previous poster mentioned that's probably the cause in my case.

It's just one of the unfortunate side effects of running a lot of HDT mods, the more HDT stuff you have installed the more likely it is to happen on cell load.

It gets particularly frequent if you have HDT body mods + HDT clothing/armour + HDT hair on your followers and on most of the npc's, although HDT hair seems to be the most common culprit it may just be the final straw rather than the main cause of the problem.

I have the same issue, i find that if i select the invisible person in the console and disable and re-enable them they re-appear. It started for me after installing an hdt hair mod so as the previous poster mentioned that's probably the cause in my case.

After I posted, I googled the issue through these forums.  There is a thread that goes over this issue ad infinitum.  Problem is unfixable HDT limitations due to the Skyrim platform, and I am 99.9% sure it is the minidress/spice gear collections.  Fortunately, the mod author made non-HDT versions, so I still get the mini and the spice  :shy: , and fortunately I was not really dedicated to the game I was playing.

Pretty much, this can be marked as answered.

I have the same issue, i find that if i select the invisible person in the console and disable and re-enable them they re-appear.

Sometimes they're not close enough to find them by turning around till you see their name pop up, I use a mod that allows you to disable and enable followers even if they're out of range, it's useful for a lot of other things as well http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/62022/?

I have the same issue, i find that if i select the invisible person in the console and disable and re-enable them they re-appear.

Sometimes they're not close enough to find them by turning around till you see their name pop up, I use a mod that allows you to disable and enable followers even if they're out of range, it's useful for a lot of other things as well http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/62022/?

Thanks for the link!

Since i don't have the minidress collections i'm sure it's not the only reason, some 'workaround': get 'detect life' by buying, console or additem menu to detect invisible NPCs. Without that it can be very annoying to search a NPC you want to speak with, and even with it it's very annoying to fight an invisible archer/mage ;) Didn't happen often to me, but the two times were... well, a surprise!

Yes, thank you for the link.  I will download and implement if I restart again.

Since i don't have the minidress collections i'm sure it's not the only reason, some 'workaround': get 'detect life' by buying, console or additem menu to detect invisible NPCs. Without that it can be very annoying to search a NPC you want to speak with, and even with it it's very annoying to fight an invisible archer/mage ;) Didn't happen often to me, but the two times were... well, a surprise!

Well, I ran a restart, switched out the minidress/spiced gear BBP for the non-BBP version.  Not getting as many disappearances, but still an issue.  The reason I list those mods as part of the usual suspects is because I never saw this error prior to this post, so either I added something recently that is contributing, or I am using too many mods.  I am surprised it is not brought up more outside of this site.  I guess we're the ones making the most of the good stuff.  I really don't want to let go of the minidress/spiced gear equipment, nor the Hmmm...what to wear mod.  Between the two, I have the armor/clothing almost exactly where I want it to be.

Archived