game can not find executable

The other day I reinstalled oblivion on new computer I5 processor with windows 7. No issues the game ran without any issues. Started to add a few mods, still no problems. Next day added a few more mods. The game started to crash. Uninstalled all mods. The game would start up but crash after the emperor's speech. Tried starting up using the oblivion short cut. Error message pops up saying can not find executable. uninstalled reinstalled game 3 times still does the same thing, can not find executable.

I have the game of year edition.

Is there a fix to this problem or would I be better off buying the the anniveray edition and installing that game??

Hopefully this is not the second thread I am posting for this issue.

Sorry if it is. I could not find the original thread.

Steam version?

store bought several years ago.........had it running on old computer.when I upgraded computer I thought that was the end of oblivion for me...2 days ago decided to try my luck and load oblivion......the game worked......created 2 characters and started the prison escape......saved both games....next day added a few more mods....game starting crashing...removed mods.....game still crashed....using only the game launcher got the error message can not find executable....after first uninstall/reinstall game started up but crashed after emperor intro.........read the readme file where it said that after several installs to use the disk to uninstall game........tried that twice.no luck.....

wondering if I should try patching game so you don't need the disk??

ok do this and let me know how it goes

- Remove the game completely.

- Delete Oblivion in My Documents

- Delete any left over files and mods which were not delete when you uninstalled.

- Restart your computer << Important!

- Reinstall Oblivion and expansion packs, most mods on here need Shivering Isles as a requirement.

- Install all the patches

- Test to see if game runs properly.

ok do this and let me know how it goes

- Remove the game completely.

- Delete Oblivion in My Documents

- Delete any left over files and mods which were not delete when you uninstalled.

- Restart your computer << Important!

- Reinstall Oblivion and expansion packs' date=' most mods on here need Shivering Isles as a requirement.

- Install all the patches

- Test to see if game runs properly.

[/quote']

unfreaking believable............I once gain uninstalled the game rebooted the computer installed the game and it worked.......which is messing with my mind..........why would rebooting help??

by the way thanks for the helpful advice!!

When you uninstall and reinstall stuff it makes changes to your registry as well as remove junk files related to Oblivion. If you install the game multiple times without rebooting it creates 3 different oblivion entries inside the registry resulting in not being able to find the executable.

When you uninstall and reinstall stuff it makes changes to your registry as well as remove junk files related to Oblivion. If you install the game multiple times without rebooting it creates 3 different oblivion entries inside the registry resulting in not being able to find the executable.

again thanks for the help.......next step for me is adding mods slowly....

also if your not aware of this tho you probably are the first mods you should get are boss obmm wrybash and obse they make installing ordering and stabilizing mods a-lot easier

have those mods.....I am splitting my mod entries between 3 ways...some I add by unpacking and adding manually, some I add through obmm and after reading a few threads now use wryebash for a few..........the biggie will be lovers PK......

and yes obse is the first mod i add

Guest Donkey

If you have to many hard reboots a corrupt exe is imminent. Make sure to keep a backup handy to replace if this happens. Also scan your system sometime nasty virusses could cause this error.

If you have to many hard reboots a corrupt exe is imminent. Make sure to keep a backup handy to replace if this happens. Also scan your system sometime nasty virusses could cause this error.

virus check recently done(couple of trojans deleted)....if you mean hard reboot by turning puter off using the power button (pressing and holding)....then I ran into that problem on my old computer totally funked up profile and did nasty things.......learned my lesson

back to figuring out why colourwheels sexyoverhaul 7_9 is messing with my textures.

isn't colourwheels a guy? I thought it was a guy lol.

Colourwheel is most definitely a female. She might put the smackdown on you if you told her otherwise......:P

not having issues with the female characters...for some reason the male characters get that square with the explanation mark..everytime I load colour wheels overhaul.....

process I go through delete the data file load a copy of the datafile minus colourwheel..things work great.........load colourwheels mod...press the archive validation button......start game at the beginning and the second male guard has that box around him......loaded older version of the overhaul.......guard was okay but then the asassins have texture issues.......for some reason the males don't like to sexy ;-)

Might be a problem with her latest update. You might keep an eye out for patches or a further update. You can also leave her a comment on the nexus to see if she can figure out what is going on.

You might also try looking at your load order and moving her esp files closer to the bottom of your load order. Colourwheels overhaul changes many of the guards to female so perhaps one of your mods is conflicting by changing the guard back to a male.

Might be a problem with her latest update. You might keep an eye out for patches or a further update. You can also leave her a comment on the nexus to see if she can figure out what is going on.

You might also try looking at your load order and moving her esp files closer to the bottom of your load order. Colourwheels overhaul changes many of the guards to female so perhaps one of your mods is conflicting by changing the guard back to a male.

finally figured out my issues..in obmm........when using the archive invalidation.........I switched modes to BSA invalidation....switched back to BSA redirection.....and bingo colourwheels now works........along with lovers (which was crashing oblivion)

Great news Szooch! :)

Now would be a great time for you to make a back up of your data folder somewhere in case something else goes wrong. You can compress it via .7z or WinZip or RaR to save space.

thanks for the suggestion will do so.....

Archived