What is the quickest method of converting NPC replacer to non-replacer?

zzz72w3r

There are so many good Serana replacer mods out there but I can use only one so I want to recycle the rest to simple followers. 

What is the quickest/easiest way to to this?  Preferably something that can be done using just Tes5edit.

What I was doing is to create new NPC as if I am doing a new follower and then replace the head mesh using nifskope.  However, this seems redundant not to mention tedious.

I don't care if the new NPC has the same stats and the starting location is the same as the original replacer.  I just want the game to treat the NPC mod not as a replacer.

Download each unzip into there individual folders.

Copy the mesh from the \Meshes\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\Dawnguard.esm\ folder (you are looking for 00002b6c.nif).

You will want to place it into the proper FaceGeom for what ever follower you want to replace (and you will need to rename the nif to the one you are replacing).

You'll probably want to adjust the texture path's in the nif and copy the textures from the folder to a corosponding folder.

Example: Replace XYZ follower with a Version of Serena from Mod ABC.

XYZ's characters head sets in Facegendata\Facegeom\xyz.esp\0101001.nif location.

Textures are in textures\actors\characters\facegendata\xyz\ (usually named similar to the textures in the femalebody folder like cbbe or unp sets).

Copy the Serena head you want into the meshes folder for xyz, then copy the name from the current nif that is in the folder and add .old before the .nif (this will be the old head nif file keep it around just incase something screws up).

Now rename the Serena head nif to XYZ's nif.

Next copy the textures into XYZ's texture path.

Oh yeah load the head nif in nifskope and change the texture path to the same place you put the textures.... doh yeah I forgot to mention that earlier

Then load the game and see if the head and textures show up.... worst case you crash your computer and set your house on fire (by the way I am NOT responsible if you do set you house on fire or burn down your city... that falls on you).

If all goes well your follower will now have Serena's face and textures... yeah pat yourself on the back and go play...

Download each unzip into there individual folders.

Copy the mesh from the \Meshes\actors\character\FaceGenData\FaceGeom\Dawnguard.esm\ folder (you are looking for 00002b6c.nif).

You will want to place it into the proper FaceGeom for what ever follower you want to replace (and you will need to rename the nif to the one you are replacing).

You'll probably want to adjust the texture path's in the nif and copy the textures from the folder to a corosponding folder.

Example: Replace XYZ follower with a Version of Serena from Mod ABC.

XYZ's characters head sets in Facegendata\Facegeom\xyz.esp\0101001.nif location.

Textures are in textures\actors\characters\facegendata\xyz\ (usually named similar to the textures in the femalebody folder like cbbe or unp sets).

Copy the Serena head you want into the meshes folder for xyz, then copy the name from the current nif that is in the folder and add .old before the .nif (this will be the old head nif file keep it around just incase something screws up).

Now rename the Serena head nif to XYZ's nif.

Next copy the textures into XYZ's texture path.

Oh yeah load the head nif in nifskope and change the texture path to the same place you put the textures.... doh yeah I forgot to mention that earlier

Then load the game and see if the head and textures show up.... worst case you crash your computer and set your house on fire (by the way I am NOT responsible if you do set you house on fire or burn down your city... that falls on you).

If all goes well your follower will now have Serena's face and textures... yeah pat yourself on the back and go play...

Thanks for the answer but as I stated above this is pretty much what I am doing now: create a NEW follower using CK and then use nifskope to replace the heads.  I am looking for a faster way.

I am wondering if I can just do some editing on the ORIGINAL esp with Tes5edit, as well as folder/file name change for the facegen files and voila, a new NPC.  Tes5edit is 100x faster than going through CK+nifskope.

Archived