Dragonborn: Two invisible items in inventory (possibly related to Black Books)?

bjornk

I've just noticed that I have 2 invisible items in my inventory. "player.inv" tells me that I have 13 items, but only lists 11 of them. Nothing is listed about the two invisible items; no item name, no item count and no form IDs, but somehow the inv command counts them.

If I drop one particular Black Book using "player.drop", the number drops by two, in other words, this particular book seems to have something associated with it in my inventory and it is invisible.

If I drop all seven Black Books, the number drops by nine (7 books + 2 more things that are invisible) and things return to normal.

Also, dropping Black Books and picking them up again seems to break their functionality. Some of them stop taking you to Apocrypha, some of them take you to a different section than they are supposed to.

My guess is these two invisible items are not something you may normally have in your inventory but something different, like an activator object perhaps?

Has anyone else noticed this?

One is likely an activator for the teleport, one is to check whether you are in Solstheim when you read it.

What does it matter?  The black books are flagged as quest items so they are weightless.  If you use the console to remove them from your inventory you will no longer be able to return to Apocyrpha to change your rewards.

I'm asking about this only to know if it's the same for everyone else.

I've checked my earlier saves and apparently this issue started with the very first book I got, "The Winds of Change". It had one extra invisible item associated with it. In my current save, this is one of the books that has an invisible thing associated with it, the other is "The Hidden Twilight".

If I drop these two books the others continue to work. That's what worries me, as that would suggest that the two invisible items aren't necessary for the books to function.

Those two invisible items might very well be the scripts that are associated with the two books, somehow ended up in my inventory?

Each of these two books are definitely counted as two:

I've tested this using the following method:

player.drop 0701E99C 1

player.drop 0701E99F 1

I now have 9 items in my inventory instead of 13.

Then I click on each book on the ground and type "addtocontainer 14" and now my inventory has 4 more items instead of 2.

If I completely remove these books from my inventory with player.removeitem and add two new ones using...

player.additem 0701e99c 1

player.additem 0701e99f 1

then the new books function perfectly fine without having any extra invisible thing, I can even drop them or place somewhere else as they are no longer quest items.

This is probably a bug.

Added the two books to another container. "inv" said that there were 4 items in the container but still listed only 2 books. Added one more book of each type to the container and it still said that there are 4 items but this time listed a total of 4 books... Something reaally weird is going on and I can't explain it. Any ideas?

Archived