Skyrim Creation Kit - Ctrl-F4 not saving mesh/texture changes

I hit a wierd bug with the CK yesterday.  I make a lot of head/hair/face/color changes to NPC's which I place in an esp, typically CK will save the texture FaceTint files and the mesh FaceGeom files in mesh and texture folders named after the esp....

but not yesterday.  No matter what I did it would not create those files, only equipment and armor changes I made appeared in game.

Has anyone else had this happen?  Does anyone know  how to fix this?

FYI: I made sure my esp was the active file when working on it, I saved before and after using the Ctrl-F4 command, (and the command acted like it was working ie saving and the completion box came up).  I also went to Steam and verified the CK files and ultimately deleted and reinstalled the CK. Nothing worked. No facetint or facegeom file in the game files

Thanks for reading

OK, I discovered what happened --- I think...

I have not updated or altered my CK in a very long time, like over 2 years. Then two days ago I actually allowed updates since I totally screwed my CK files ....

An update appears to have changed the location of the facetint and facegeom files from the external file I was used to, to a file built into the esp, but only for replacers such as changes to Lydia... any custom npc's still have the external file.

Or maybe I am just stupid...

thanks

Newly created facegeoms and facetints for vanilla NPCs will be put in folders named after the base game (Skyrim.esm) or one of the DLCs (Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm, or Dragonborn.esm).  This is to ensure the facegeom/facetints you created overwrites the original.

If you create facegeoms and facetints for unique NPCs then those files will be put in folders named after the ESP or ESM you created.

I guess it was different during the early days of CK.

Archived