How do I hide the enchantment charge bar on a weapon?

BeamerMiasma

I've recently introduced a weapon in a mod of mine that has an enchantment with no cost, i.e. an infinite number of charges. I've set up the enchantment and magic effect in exactly the same way as the one on Mehrunes' Razor (the only difference being the script attached to the magic effect). When I look at the weapon in my inventory, it shows the usual charge bar showing how many charges are left on the enchantment. For Mehrunes' razor however, that bar is hidden.

Does anyone have any idea how I can hide the bar on my custom weapon too? The CK doesn't seem to offer an option for this, is there maybe some hidden flag that can only be set through TES5Edit? Or is there simply an exception hardcoded for Mehrunes' Razor in the game executable?

post-424489-0-83405200-1445357258_thumb.png

post-424489-0-77331100-1445357276_thumb.png

recharge the weapon, that bar only show up if the charges are not full

I'm afraid not. The bar always shows, it doesn't matter whether the charge is full or empty. The fact that it is empty in the screenshot is actually the result of the quick-equip bug (not sure if it's a vanilla or SkyUI bug), the enchantment has no cost and the bar will not drain even a single pixel with normal use.

Edit: here's an image of the brand new weapon before it's ever used:

post-424489-0-59097800-1445358186_thumb.png

take a look at the ebony blade from mephala's quest, it has an enchantment with no charge or cost

Yes, I've looked at that one, but like with Mehrunes Razor, I do not see any option for it in the CK. I picked Mehrunes' Razor for comparison because it's a more conventional example (The Ebony blade has a lot more scripting/processing behind it) but neither of them give me any clues on how to hide the charge bar on the info card.

take a look at the ebony blade from mephala's quest, it has an enchantment with no charge or cost

Yes, I've looked at that one, but like with Mehrunes Razor, I do not see any option for it in the CK. I picked Mehrunes' Razor for comparison because it's a more conventional example (The Ebony blade has a lot more scripting/processing behind it) but neither of them give me any clues on how to hide the charge bar on the info card.

Open the Enchantment record used by the weapon.  Uncheck "Auto-Calc" and change "Enchantment Cost" to zero.  Here is an example of the same thing done to Dawnbreaker:

50dc00ddd9.png

Open the Enchantment record used by the weapon.  Uncheck "Auto-Calc" and change "Enchantment Cost" to zero.  Here is an example of the same thing done to Dawnbreaker:

50dc00ddd9.png

I was hopeful as it sounded like a promising idea, but unfortunately the result is the same. The charge bar still shows on the weapon's info card.

Here's a side-by-side comparison with how Mehrunes' Razor is set up. Note that I already tried if removing all target conditions makes a difference - it doesn't. I also tried using the script archetype, but again no difference. The only reason I'm using the value modifier archetype is because that's how Mehrunes' Razor is set up and that's the cleanest example in the CK (and most similar to my purpose) for a 0 cost enchantment, so I figured duplicating that setup would work. In practical terms it doesn't matter which of the 2 archetypes I use since the cost, magnitude and duration of the effect are 0 so the only effect is what the script does.

post-424489-0-48990100-1445369836_thumb.png

Here's a side-by-side comparison with how Mehrunes' Razor is set up. Note that I already tried if removing all target conditions makes a difference - it doesn't. I also tried using the script archetype, but again no difference. The only reason I'm using the value modifier archetype is because that's how Mehrunes' Razor is set up and that's the cleanest example in the CK (and most similar to my purpose) for a 0 cost enchantment, so I figured duplicating that setup would work. In practical terms it doesn't matter which of the 2 archetypes I use since the cost, magnitude and duration of the effect are 0 so the only effect is what the script does.

I guess I misunderstood - I thought you were trying to prevent the appearance of the bar on the UI.  If you're looking for a simple script to achieve what you're after (which is what you have to do), I'd suggest looking at the silver sword script rather than Mehrune's Razor.

I guess I misunderstood - I thought you were trying to prevent the appearance of the bar on the UI.  If you're looking for a simple script to achieve what you're after (which is what you have to do), I'd suggest looking at the silver sword script rather than Mehrune's Razor.

No you understood perfectly fine. Hiding the bar in the UI is exactly what I am after. It's just that your suggestion didn't work :)

To be clear the enchantment works perfectly fine. It does what it needs to do and it does not cost any charge. The only thing I am trying to accomplish is that the useless charge bar in the UI is hidden, just like it is with costless vanilla enchantments.

No you understood perfectly fine. Hiding the bar in the UI is exactly what I am after. It's just that your suggestion didn't work :)

To be clear the enchantment works perfectly fine. It does what it needs to do and it does not cost any charge. The only thing I am trying to accomplish is that the useless charge bar in the UI is hidden, just like it is with costless vanilla enchantments.

By "UI" I meant the HUD, not the inventory menu and the item information.  Items that don't use charges don't display the charge bar on the HUD when they're used, since the charge doesn't diminish.  You may still need to charge it up to full to see that behavior, however.

The silver sword works a little differently from Mehrune's Razor.  There is no enchantment, so no bar is shown (I don't know how Mehrune's Razor accomplishes this).  The silver sword script assigns a "Silver Perk" to the player when weilded, which adds 20 damage to undead, ghosts and werewolves.  You may be able to achieve a similar effect by going that route:  creating a perk rather than an enchantment.  Of course, it means you could get the same effect by punching someone with your offhand if the perk is added by a one-handed weapon, but this is Skyrim after all and not everything works as you'd expect.

By "UI" I meant the HUD, not the inventory menu and the item information.  Items that don't use charges don't display the charge bar on the HUD when they're used, since the charge doesn't diminish.  You may still need to charge it up to full to see that behavior, however.

The silver sword works a little differently from Mehrune's Razor.  There is no enchantment, so no bar is shown (I don't know how Mehrune's Razor accomplishes this).  The silver sword script assigns a "Silver Perk" to the player when weilded, which adds 20 damage to undead, ghosts and werewolves.  You may be able to achieve a similar effect by going that route:  creating a perk rather than an enchantment.  Of course, it means you could get the same effect by punching someone with your offhand if the perk is added by a one-handed weapon, but this is Skyrim after all and not everything works as you'd expect.

Yes sorry about the confusion, I mean the charge bar shown on the info card when you view the item in the inventory (as shown in the screenshots in the OP). Given the fact that everything works as it should I'd prefer to stick to the pure enchantment and live with the charge bar, which in the end is just an annoyance.

I'm a perfectionist, I know it can be done (the razor does it) so I want to know how it's done so I can use the same method. I was sort of counting on it being some flag that simply couldn't be accessed from the CK, and it's not clear whether it would be a flag on the weapon or the enchantment in the first place. Maybe I'll have a shot at going through the active scripts of the info card swf and see if I can find a clue there.

Archived