Fallout turns 18

bjornk

Just saw this on NMA...

Happy 18th Birthday Fallout

On this day in 1997 a little game called Fallout went gold and the rest is history.

From NMA's mirror of the original Fallout site:

Project Update: Well, it's done. We shipped Fallout!
Actually, we silvered today, which means that we should be in major stores by Oct 10. So, it hasn't really shipped yet, but the duplication and manufacturing has begun! Shipped, silver - hey, we're done! -- 1 Oct 1997 @ 1615 PST

I like this comment, pretty much what I think...

I guess that's why Bethesda waited until Fallout 4 to fuck it on all of it's holes, it's legal now.

I like this comment, pretty much what I think...

I guess that's why Bethesda waited until Fallout 4 to fuck it on all of it's holes, it's legal now.

A thousand times agree, Fallout 3 really shitted all over the lore of the fallout series and what the game was really about and as fun as it might have been for kids it wasn't about blowing shit up with a Fatman

Guest toymachine

To me, it's perfectly acceptable that Fallout isn't completely as the previous titles by Interplay. It's a different game developing team. Different company. New or different ideas. I don't think their minds should be set on trying to think like Interplay because they aren't Interplay.

Not trying to be offensive, but it has gotten old that all those old fans still hold bitterness for the fact that Bethesda owns the rights to the franchise and to me, I feel like that's the excuse of their dislike for Fallout 3. I get it that change can suck. But the blame is on Interplay for selling the rights.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 and I may or may not enjoy the story of Fallout 4. Since it's being rewritten by the same who did Fallout 3's story, there's a good chance I will. I'll see for myself the day I play the game.

Loved Fallout 3, wasn't a huge fan of New Vegas but definitely looking forward to Fallout 4! Hardly have time to play any games anymore, but that WILL change when FO4 arrives.

As someone who is ridiculously bitter over another series (Mass Effect) I'm glad I'm not among those bitter over Fallout.

EDIT : Happy Birthday Fallout!

Similar to people who started the series with Fallout 3, Skyrim is the first TES game I've ever played and when it came out, I saw a lot of complaints about the "dumbing down" coming from the fans of the older games in TES series, such as Daggerfall and Morrowind. As some Fallout 3 fans do, I could easily say that "Skyrim is a great game, I don't get what the fuss is about", being my first game in TES series, but that would only show my ignorance about the previous games.

Archived