[Request] Immersive Swimming

rawr22

I'd like to see a mod that makes the weight of armour affect swimming ability. You shouldn't be able to swim around normally in full steel armour. You'd sink.

Sinking would be awesome, but may be difficult So perhaps something that only affects swimming speed?

I want this for immersion, and totally not because I want another excuse to get my character naked now and again! :D

I'm starting to watch modding tutorials, but I'm a long way off doing something like this myself yet.

If you are looking for realism, speed should be lowered and a fatigue penalty/drain added but sinking should be out, except for the untrained. A plate harness will weigh between 45-70 pounds (depending on the type of plate armor), which would make it hard but not impossible to swim. Soldiers often have to swim with their rucksacks, which are a similar weight.

The heavy armor skill could modify the penalties, so an untrained user might not swim very far or, indeed, might not be able to swim at all. A score of 100 should still give penalties but make it manageable.

The heavier fantasy materials might prevent swimming or severely hinder it - steel plate's weight in-game is roughly equal to the real life weight of a suit of plate armor. Daedric armor is nearly twice as heavy, nearing a hundred pounds. Swimming (or fighting) in that stuff is strictly for legendary characters. Changing the penalties based on the armor's weight might be unnecessarily complex though.

Hey this is actually a great idea, makes you think twice before running into the water using heavy armor.

This idea is best put up in the official Bethesda mod forums though because that's where most realism mods are made.

I've posted on the official forums with mod requests before, and often threads end up on page 3 with 0 views in less than half an hour. I guess there's a lot more people wanting changes than people looking for ideas. Annoyingly a lot of them seem really stupid by people that don't understand the limitations of the game. Admittedly this experience was shortly after the CK came out so perhaps it's different now.

Anyway I figured that as this would add a little more nudity to the game it would be a good place to ask.

It would only need to be really simple for me to enjoy. As long as heavy armour = no swim, light armour = no/slow swim I'd be happy.

Alternatively, some sort of sinking based on inventory weight would be nice. It would make you think of what bare essentials to take on quests on islands or with underwater caves.

• 5 months later...

If you are looking for realism' date=' speed should be lowered and a fatigue penalty/drain added but sinking should be out, except for the untrained. A plate harness will weigh between 45-70 pounds (depending on the type of plate armor), which would make it hard but not impossible to swim. Soldiers often have to swim with their rucksacks, which are a similar weight.

The heavy armor skill could modify the penalties, so an untrained user might not swim very far or, indeed, might not be able to swim at all. A score of 100 should still give penalties but make it manageable.

The heavier fantasy materials might prevent swimming or severely hinder it - steel plate's weight in-game is roughly equal to the real life weight of a suit of plate armor. Daedric armor is nearly twice as heavy, nearing a hundred pounds. Swimming (or fighting) in that stuff is strictly for legendary characters. Changing the penalties based on the armor's weight might be unnecessarily complex though.

[/quote']

I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that if you are looking for realistic look,speed should be reduced and a exhaustion penalty/drain included but falling should be out,except for the inexperienced.

And changing the penalties based on the armor's weight might be unnecessarily complex though.

So you unequipt the steel armor to your invisible giant backpack and then you can swim because the steel you're carrying but not wearing has become weightless?

I guess if that's what people want.

If I'm RPing through a playthrough, I take my armor off but only so it doesnt get wet (I only wear light armor though). I still dont have a proper backpack though, lol.

Archived