An interesting modders resource?

Arethiel

So I found something interesting on Nexus this morning, it's called Skylua and basically it's a Script Dragon Plugin that can load Lua scripting into Skyrim.

Now, from my understanding Lua would (hypothetically) be better then Papyrus at script triggering and is faster at mathematical calculations/more efficient, which is also the reason that Creative Assembly cited, if I remember right, for implementing the Lua language into the Total War games. It's also apparently lightweight.

My real question though, since I'm not qualified since I'm still a College student for programming, is could this type of plugin be implemented into SKSE and run alongside it or a standalone type Lua loader maybe? I ask this mainly because a lot of mods depend on SKSE and some are final versions with no planned updates and for something like this to become popular it'd need to have support for the most popular mods.

Also, would this even be advantageous to even run Lua in the Creation Engine, since I'm not familiar with Skyrim's engine?

All in all, it seems like an interesting and good concept but who knows.

Link: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64512

Someone in the comments there has already converted 75% of it to SKSE, so it can certainly do that. Just a matter of whether or not this is truly superior, i'm not familiar with coding languages enough to know the answer to that :P.

LUA is so much better than Papyrus at basically anything it does that it's not even funny. I still wonder why Bethesda didn't just use LUA in the first place instead of developing a custom language that not only hasn't anything special going for it, but also lacks basically everything that makes a modern programming language..you know...modern.

That being said, it still remains to be seen how well "injected" LUA performs in Skryim. Using Script Dragon is a complete no-go for me anyway, as basically nobody ever uses that. SKSE support is an absolute must. If they can get it running with SKSE...I will sure have a look at it! :)

Archived