Some references to learn modding ?

limonotu

Hi everyone ! Before anything else, I have to warn you: read this topic could provoke a bleeding of orbits to the most sensitive.

Here some time now a frequent this site, acting like curious guys with all the proposed mods, more or less complex. Due to testing everything and nothing, I even joined a small team of french translation... But now I want to test modding. I don't count any more the number of times a month when I have to reinstall my game and sort out my mods again and again. Maybe it created a kind of masochism in me.

So I turn to you for asking you if you have any guide/tutorial to master the basics from the beginning (english videos or writted guide, I don't have problem with that).

I repeat, that would really have to start from scratch. I didn't almost hear about Creation Kit or of any way of creating something that we could add to the game, not even the NPC. (If I had to compare with the fact of codding, I didn't learn even yet to write "Hello world !", maybe not even how to open the tool program)

Thank you for your possible help and references ! (and have a nice day, for sure !)

It really depends what you want to produce. New armor, animations, quest...

To create custom meshes you'll need to look up for niftools, editing meshes in a software, exporting, adding it in creation kit...

For animations you'll need FNIS, havok tools, some scripting to play the animations in game... xp32 and FNIS all have very useful modder documentations and resources.

To create a quest mod you'll need to learn about creationkit mostly. Adding quests, writing scripts, defining parameters, adding actors... In here, creationkit.com is your best friend. All you need is there. This tutorial is very informative particularly. 

There is also frameworks like SexLab and Zaz which makes things very easy.

In all cases, I can say you'll do MANY trials and errors.

Thanks a lot for these answer ! I am really interested by create some quests, but I don't want to rush to avoid being discouraged by the first difficulties. First of all I want to get acquainted with Creation kit to be then able to explore some simple mod and understand their functioning. I could after continue by make minor change in those.

Archived