Use inverse kinematics to avoid clipping/gaps?

Serithi

Much like my previous half-ignorant questions, this has probably been discussed before, and probably isn't possible. But if nothing else it's something to think about, might be the last time it was discussed people didn't have as much of a grasp on HDT and Havok and the like.

As we all know, poses and animations are pretty much designed for one body, and if your body is different from the ones the animations were made for then you end up with gaps, clipping, just all-around "that shit don't look right". As a way around that, is it at all possible to have the entire body make use of the IK system that legs use, so they're all moved into at least semi-appropriate places instead of just floating or clipping?

Tying into that, would it be possible to link certain parts of one actor to another, by which i mean for example linking someone's hand to hold a certain part of the breast of a second actor, so even as the first actor's arms and such move around, the hand relies on IK to try and stay in that certain area holding the breast (as well as staying molded around the breast so different breast sizes are also covered)? Hopefully i worded that well enough.

From my knowledge, the animation system in skyrim doesn't allow/support for "linked" animations like that where you can "connect" one node to another so they'd automatically connect thus removing all clipping or misalignemnt.

But I'm not a animation modder, i just remember reading about someting like that on an animation thread or something.

Archived