Better than HDT? nVidia APEX

VonHelton

Skyrim's almost 4 years old as well, and even when it came out its tech was old. Sure, we've had stuff like APEX for ages, but you gotta keep in mind what's actually possible to implement into Skyrim. HDT's based off of Havok which is what Skyrim uses, as i understand it someone here's working on basically gutting Havok and replacing it with Bullet which is much better, but until then there's only so much to be done with the engine.

Well, Skyrim probably wasn't made for 4096 x 4095 textures, yet EVERYONE (minus a few exceptions) is using that size!

:(

Back in my day, I modded Quake 1 with 256 x 256 & got very realistic results, IMHO.

15 followers, all BBP & TBBP, HDT & high rez textures? Yea, somethings gonna give!

Maybe SKSE can increase the block size to 1024 & give us some relief?

???

:/

Texture size has nothing to do with this, that's a matter of the models themselves. Of course you can use textures that big, you could use 8192x8192 for all it matters, there's nothing limiting that. Only reason the vanilla game uses smaller textures is because it's meant to play on consoles which will always have lesser hardware. And even then, Skyrim is unoptimized as all hell, you need a beast of a machine if you're running 4k textures on everything, and i kind of doubt EVERYONE is on computers that powerful. Even with SKSE's and ENB's memory patches and the like, it's still far from perfect, and ultimately it'll never be able to allow for any more room than the 4gb limit since Skyrim's a 32bit process.

If Bethesda developed a 64bit executable for Skyrim, that would give us far more breathing room, but i don't see them doing that anytime soon, if at all. I'd be happy as long as TES6 is 64bit, but for the time being there's only so much that can be done.

EDIT: Unrelated, 69th post. Huehuehue.

Blarrgh correct, it's not about what's actually possible on a PC. It's what's possible using Skyrims 15 year old engine, it's the Gamebryo engine used in Morrowind at it's core, with 2 major Rewrites, updated once for Oblivion and again for Skyrim but the base engine is still 15 years old and creaking at the seams.

The point I'd like to make is in response to

If Bethesda developed a 64bit executable for Skyrim, that would give us far more breathing room, but i don't see them doing that anytime soon, if at all. I'd be happy as long as TES6 is 64bit, but for the time being there's only so much that can be done.

Skyrim will never be updated by Bethesda Games Studios (BGS, the Developers), unless they make a Series Reboot/Remaster many years later, they have moved on and before TES IV comes out we will see the other franchise they make. Fallout and TES are the only games BGS make, Bethesda Softworks (Publisher) release many other devs studios as well, they are not a developer at all.

Many games will be announced at E3, only one will be the BGS game and it is Fallout 4, like it or not BGS will alternate the Franchises, purely on sound business reasons, it keeps both sets of fans satisfied, yet still hungry for more.

The one thing those, sound business reasons guarantee is, the Engine will be 64-bit, purely because consoles are now 64-bit. We can be certain of nothing else, not even modding support.
It will be very unlikely to be another updated Gamebryo, the Gamebryo company haven't made a 64-bit engine, they now sell the old engine as a Mobile gaming engine, that is all they do now mobile games.
Bethesda Softworks (Publisher) could upgrade the old engine but they are more likely to want to completely own the new engine, they do own the ID Engine and have registrered a New Engine name

Fallout, Dishonored parent company trademarks Void Engine - GameSpot on November 14, 2013
Bethesda parent company Zenimax has filed a trademark application for "Void Engine Powered by Id Tech," suggesting the company has created an all-new game engine. The news comes as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are soon to be released, though it is unclear if the new engine is related to the next-generation systems.

Will this be the new TES Engine, the timing fits as it's about 6 months after Skyrim support ended and BGS moved on to the next game, plus that's all the info we have on this engine, no games Officially use it, yet.

If Bethesda go the down the EA and Bioware route, dropping modding support completely, it will make modding the games much harder. Not impossible to be sure, but as with Dragon Age when modders have to make a "Creation Kit" to start with, it vastly reduces the mod makers to the most skilled.

Time will tell, they would be stupid to drop modding, but the are Publishers, so are stupid by definition.
If they can't mod we can sell more DLC, is the stupid analysis, mine is different
I bought the game and all the DLC because I could mod it. Without modding I have no interest in buying your game at all, never mind the DLC.
Plus they can't mod on consoles at all, so they must think no modding sells more PC versions than modding does.

I hope Zenimax Media (Publisher), who as owners of both Bethesda Softworks (Publisher) and Bethesda Games Studios (Developers), ultimately make all the decisions, choose more wisely than EA. They're treatment of modding with TESO doesn't inspire much hope, we'll find out when E3 comes.

Until then HDT-SMP looks promising and is building up support on the chinese sites, much like HDT-PE once did, soon enough will exist too start a section here with proper releases hosted as well, then much like HDT-PE the Nexus will get it much later and think it's brand new.

Texture size has nothing to do with this, that's a matter of the models themselves. Of course you can use textures that big, you could use 8192x8192 for all it matters, there's nothing limiting that. Only reason the vanilla game uses smaller textures is because it's meant to play on consoles which will always have lesser hardware. And even then, Skyrim is unoptimized as all hell, you need a beast of a machine if you're running 4k textures on everything, and i kind of doubt EVERYONE is on computers that powerful. Even with SKSE's and ENB's memory patches and the like, it's still far from perfect, and ultimately it'll never be able to allow for any more room than the 4gb limit since Skyrim's a 32bit process.

EDIT: Unrelated, 69th post. Huehuehue.

They could call it "Skyrim Delux" & include 64 bit, 1024 per memory chunk & expand the "slots" for clothes, armor, weapons etc.

We got what......66 slots we can utilize at present?

I think it'd sell just on Skyrim's name alone!

:D

Ok, now I'm offended......

How did Dishonored rate getting top billing & Skyrim not?

THAT IS TOTAL BS, GAMESPOT! SHAME ON YOU!

:angry:

Well at the time it looked like Skyrim had the Creation Engine, then just updated and maybe planned for Fallout and/or next TES game, until Consoles confirmed 64-bit a short time later, Game Spot were probably listing potential games the new engine would be used on first, not the most popular.

But Skyrim 64-bit isn't going to happen, they will make Fallout 4 and then TES VI, not a TES V remake, These are TES games not Square Enix making Final Fantasy 13 v6 hoping they get it right at last.

Archived