[Planning] Set Clothing - I'm gonna take the plunge!

Satyrist

34 members have voted

1. 1. How should I manage different body style clothing meshes?

• Each body style uses its own 'Armor_<style>' and 'Clothing_<style>' folders
    • Each body style uses the standard folder structure, but appends '_<style>' to the end of the filename
    • Other

• 4 weeks later...

After a brief time I want to continue this project. One thing that frustrated me with that last version was how slow it operated. I now have an idea of using each actor's individual ref ID instead of having RNG and a storage array. This should in theory reduce the amount of loops or checks required in code, though I'd appreciate experienced modders' input to the topic.

It's good when keeping track of indefinitely many references, but you'll have to make sure that the dict keys get updated as appropriate even if the user changes their load order.

Regarding performance hit... have you tried splitting the task over several frames? Perhaps, one actor per frame, of just one equipment per frame if it's not enough.

After some experimenting it seems that the quest script runs in intervals of only few seconds or so. In that sense going through every NPC per frame is definitily better way to approach. Sadly this means that we can't avoid players seeing the mesh swaps in inns or other similar locations. I guess it doesn't matter that much, though.

• 1 month later...

A little revisit to this project. I actually stubled across the solution to the delay issue. By declaring a float variable called fQuestDelayTime you can then set its value to something like 0.5 and this way force the quest script to run twice in a second opposed to the normal once in five seconds or so.

Archived