New/Used DSLR Purchase.

Ricocotech

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new DSLR to replace my old backup Nikon D90. Not sure how many of you guys are into

photography, but here I go.

The two options for me are either a new Nikon D7000 for $545 (Tax included) or a used Canon 7D for $505.

Reasons for Canon

1) Superior Video Functions

2) Magic Lantern

3) 8FPS Cont. Drive 

4) 19 Cross Type Auto Focus Points

Reasons for Nikon

1) Better Low Light Performance (0.5 f-stops)

2) Brand New

3) Slightly Larger Sensor ( ties with reason #1 )

4) Auto Focus for Video

5) Better Image Quality

In terms of actual usage, I am mainly a street/candid and portrait photographer. For video, I mainly record montages, similar

to what Philip Bloom does. I like the Canon because of the options I get when it comes to making video especially when paired with Magic Lantern. The speed of the drive and focus of the Canon is also great when I go out on the streets to capture that moment at short notice. I like the Nikon because in terms of image quality it does edge out on the Canon, however there is also photoshop to bring the Canon toe to toe with the Nikon. Then there is low light performance. This is a crucial point since I shoot indoors and at night. The last thing that's crucial is the fact that I'm stuck with either buying a new camera vs a used one. I have never bought used gear and I'm a bit frightened as to what I may end up with. I am ordering from Adorama so that eases the pain a bit. 

If anyone could give some input, I would really appreciate it.

Looking at the specs of those cameras, I would probably choose nikon. Then again I have Pentax K100D (~10 years old or something) myself and would avoid canon as long as possible so theres that. :P That aside if it is your backup camera and you are mostly doing videos with it, why not buy a video camera thingy? I'd guess you can take still pictures with those as well, with superior video capabilities?

About bying used slr, I wouldnt if I werent 100% sure it hasnt been dropped or anything like that.

Most of my knowledge of cameras is from said ~10 years ago so I might be totally wrong on everything. :D

You already own a D90 from the Nikon camp, so that lens is still useful to you since both bodies are DX format. 

Whereas if you go the Canon route, you're looking at a lens purchase as well. ( Unless it's a kit )

It looks like both are close in the resolution department ( 18 vs 16 )

The Canon will do slightly higher frame rates in the video department ( 30 vs 24 )

It's also slightly faster in non-video frame rates ( 8 vs 6 )

Canon has an ever so slightly larger focal length multiplier over the Nikon ( 1.6 vs 1.5 )

The Nikon has a better battery ( 1050 shots vs 800 )

Has dual card slots ( though not CF based )

Nikon is also slightly lighter ( 780g vs 860g )

Nikon has slightly better low light performance.

I've never been a fan of doing video with a DSLR myself.  Would be akin to using video hardware to shooting stills :P

The big part here, for me, would be new vs used. 

Adorama is a very reputable dealer without question, but it's still hard to know how the previous owner treated the camera before trading or selling it.  This alone would make me lean towards the Nikon, but so would a few of the other variables.

Better battery, dual card slots, the fact you're used to using the Nikon system, and slightly better low light performance for what you like to shoot.

Looking at the specs of those cameras, I would probably choose nikon. Then again I have Pentax K100D (~10 years old or something) myself and would avoid canon as long as possible so theres that. :P That aside if it is your backup camera and you are mostly doing videos with it, why not buy a video camera thingy? I'd guess you can take still pictures with those as well, with superior video capabilities?

About bying used slr, I wouldnt if I werent 100% sure it hasnt been dropped or anything like that.

Most of my knowledge of cameras is from said ~10 years ago so I might be totally wrong on everything. :D

I could buy something like a C100 for video, but I don't want to lug that thing around. Especially when I got a heavy Canon L series lens taking a chunk of the weight. I do want to ask why is it that you want to avoid the Canon as much as possible. Is Canon really that bad? I've used a 50D for stills before and it was a great shooter. Granted the Camera belonged to my assistant at the time.

You already own a D90 from the Nikon camp, so that lens is still useful to you since both bodies are DX format. 

Whereas if you go the Canon route, you're looking at a lens purchase as well. ( Unless it's a kit )

It looks like both are close in the resolution department ( 18 vs 16 )

The Canon will do slightly higher frame rates in the video department ( 30 vs 24 )

It's also slightly faster in non-video frame rates ( 8 vs 6 )

Canon has an ever so slightly larger focal length multiplier over the Nikon ( 1.6 vs 1.5 )

The Nikon has a better battery ( 1050 shots vs 800 )

Has dual card slots ( though not CF based )

Nikon is also slightly lighter ( 780g vs 860g )

Nikon has slightly better low light performance.

I've never been a fan of doing video with a DSLR myself.  Would be akin to using video hardware to shooting stills :P

The big part here, for me, would be new vs used. 

Adorama is a very reputable dealer without question, but it's still hard to know how the previous owner treated the camera before trading or selling it.  This alone would make me lean towards the Nikon, but so would a few of the other variables.

Better battery, dual card slots, the fact you're used to using the Nikon system, and slightly better low light performance for what you like to shoot.

While I do have a majority of Nikon lens, I do have 2 Canon L series lens that sometimes used on my Nikon D800 (My main camera ) with an adapter   because of the quality of the lens and the fact I can get used L lens at a reasonable price. Nikon N lens are really pretty expensive. I'm not too worried about lens. Anyways, have you purchased from Adorama before? I've usually got my used gear from friends or local shops. In terms in pictures what do you feel is more important? Getting the shot (7D speed in auto focus and drive) or higher quality shot with a risk of losing the moment(D7000 better color and dynamics with lesser drive and lesser auto focus) ?

I could buy something like a C100 for video, but I don't want to lug that thing around. Especially when I got a heavy Canon L series lens taking a chunk of the weight. I do want to ask why is it that you want to avoid the Canon as much as possible. Is Canon really that bad? I've used a 50D for stills before and it was a great shooter. Granted the Camera belonged to my assistant at the time.

Im sure Canon isn't bad at all, but im also fairly sure its not as good (=best there is) as every canon owner claims it to be. I've also had a cheap compact Canon some time ago and it was probably the worst camera ive ever used.

I am a Canon owner, but lately I have been finding Canon a bit "lazy" in its new models. Apart from some upgrades, there is no "wow" , or they come with stuff long overdue. it seems Nikon tries to work harder to get our attention.

Still, both Nikon and Canon bodies simply create stunning pictures with a different feel to them. I would suggest if you can try them out somewhere, maybe a shop, maybe at a photography club nearby?

With the info you've given, in your place I'd probably go with that Nikon. Since you said you shoot out in evenings, that low light performance could be a winner.

I am a Canon owner, but lately I have been finding Canon a bit "lazy" in its new models. Apart from some upgrades, there is no "wow" , or they come with stuff long overdue. it seems Nikon tries to work harder to get our attention.

Still, both Nikon and Canon bodies simply create stunning pictures with a different feel to them. I would suggest if you can try them out somewhere, maybe a shop, maybe at a photography club nearby?

With the info you've given, in your place I'd probably go with that Nikon. Since you said you shoot out in evenings, that low light performance could be a winner.

Yeah I do agree, I mean the 7DMkii was way long overdue, while Nikon has made some amazing cameras like the D750. Sadly, I currently have no budget for one. I've tried both cameras out in store, and I just really like the 7D more of just how amazing the response of the auto focus is. I do need the auto focus since my eyes aren't what they used to be. At the same time, that low light performance would be nice to have.

I've never used Canon myself.  Have always been a Nikon type even before digital was born. 

Both camps make decent cameras so without getting too nitpicky about them, both are capable of amazing shots.  They're pretty close in capability, so I guess it boils down to personal preference since lens selections won't be an issue for you.  I think both the D800 and the D7000 use the same battery ( EN-EL15 ) so that might be a bonus if you can use the same batteries and charger.

I've orderd quite a bit from Adorama, though never bodies or lenses.   I just can't see letting FedEx or UPS touch high dollar precision optical equipment if I can help it.  On the flip side, for high $$$ gear, the no-tax from internet sales has me go back and forth on this issue. 

As for the question of getting the shot vs getting a higher quality shot.  Is a tough call.  We always prefer the higher quality shot, but will also settle for getting one that's just in focus sometimes :D

Thanks for all the input guys. I've made my decision and I'm going with the Canon 7D. After actually using both cameras out in the field rather than in a shop, I've got to say that the auto focus of the 7D just feels nicer to work with. With video, it's so annoying that the aperture can't be changed and the meter can't be viewed through live view on the D7000. The low light of the 7D isn't as bad as I thought. I still get somewhat reasonable shots at ISO 1600. I don't normally shoot that high, but I'm glad that it's an option when I'm in a pinch. Anyways, thanks again for the input guys.  :shy:  :lol:  :D

Archived