Constant CTDs

TBDM

I'm experiencing a large number of crashes on the my skyrim game. They usually occur when switching between cells though, but I just had one occur while walking around and now am experiencing CTDs when trying to load my save games. I suspect that it is too many scripts, but I don't know that I am wondering what I should do to improve the stability. I also know that LOOT says to some of the mods need to be cleaned, but I am unsure about which ones really should be cleaned and which shouldn't be touched (currently ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp, cloaks.esp, vampirelordroyal.esp, isilNarsil.esp, Queen of the damned-Akasha Dress.esp, My Home is Your Home.esp all contain ITM records)

Here is my load order

GameMode=Skyrim

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp=1
SexLab.esm=1
Devious Devices - Assets.esm=1
hdtHighHeel.esm=1
SharedSeranaDialogue.esm=1
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm=1
CreatureFramework.esm=1
JSwords.esm=1
RaceCompatibility.esm=1
RSkyrimChildren.esm=1
SexLabAroused.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
ZaZAnimationPack.esm=1
Devious Devices - Integration.esm=1
daymoyl.esm=1
Devious Devices - Expansion.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=1
HighResTexturePack02.esp=1
HighResTexturePack03.esp=1
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp=1
BTRH_Lisette.esp=1
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
iHUD.esp=1
JaxonzNamedSave.esp=1
Balanced_Magic_Dawnguard.esp=1
Apropos.esp=1
Brawl Bugs CE.esp=1
Better Dynamic Snow.esp=1
Smoking Torches.esp=1
BTRH_Camilla.esp=1
LadyLaceCloaks_EN.esp=1
Convenient Horses.esp=1
Beards.esp=1
SMIM-DungeonsCliffsIceSkirts.esp=1
Brows.esp=1
NeutralHjerim.esp=1
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp=1
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp=1
dD-Reduced Wound Size.esp=1
SplashofRain.esp=1
AncientDraugr.esp=1
CalienteVanillaArmorTweaks.esp=0
SeraphineHuntedArmor.esp=1
Differently Ebony.esp=1
BTRH_Muiri.esp=1
Ghosu - Weapon Pack 1.esp=1
FSS-Slight pause between lines.esp=0
GagSFX.esp=1
GagSFXDawnguard.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp=1
dD-Reduced Splatter Size.esp=1
ProperWeaponScale.esp=1
Footprints.esp=1
Footprints - Ash.esp=1
VioLens.esp=1
DSerULG.esp=1
display-model.esp=1
MoreNastyCritters.esp=1
NewmillerDarkVampKnight.esp=1
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp=1
Rise of the Legend - Ysgramor.esp=1
ELFX - Exteriors.esp=1
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp=1
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp=1
cleaner_castlevolkihar3.esp=1
3DNPC.esp=1
ethereal_elven_overhaul.esp=1
SSv2.esp=1
AFT_iNPCFix.esp=0
BVFE_Serana.esp=1
FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp=1
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp=1
Devious Devices - For the Masses II.esp=1
CWINPCImprovements.esp=1
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp=1
NewmillerPiercings3.esp=1
NewVampChainsCuirass.esp=1
CL Ebonyblade.esp=1
No More Glowing Edges.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo.esp=1
ELFXEnhancer.esp=1
SexLab_DibellaCult.esp=1
RSChildren - Complete.esp=1
Witch Of The Wild.esp=1
CWIELnFXPatch.esp=1
Merta Assassin Armor.esp=1
Captured Dreams.esp=1
NewmillerPiercings2.esp=1
NewVampChainsGloves.esp=1
Northborn Fur Hoods.esp=1
Silverlight Armor.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
TradeBarter.esp=1
NS_Eilhart_Dress.esp=1
RaceMenu.esp=1
RaceMenuPluginRepair.esp=1
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp=1
RaceMenuPluginXPMSE.esp=1
RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp=1
VampireLeatherArmorSet.esp=1
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp=1
SMIM-FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp=1
Serana No Hood.esp=0
SexLab Submit.esp=1
SexLabArousedAnimations.esp=1
NonSexLabAnimationPack.esp=1
SexLabNudeCreatures.esp=1
SexLabNudeCreaturesDG.esp=1
SexLabNudeCreaturesDB.esp=1
SexLabWerewolves.esp=1
SMIM-DragonbornTernFix.esp=1
SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp=1
SOSRaceMenu.esp=1
Sotteta Necromancer Outfit.esp=1
The Ningheim.esp=1
Toccata as Elisif.esp=1
hydra_slavegirls.esp=1
WetandCold.esp=1
WetandCold - Ashes.esp=1
Wintermyst - Enchantments of Skyrim.esp=1
AMB Glass Variants Lore.esp=1
Lore Weapon Expansion.esp=1
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp=1
HentaiCreatures.esp=1
Inconsequential NPCs.esp=1
Seraphina.esp=1
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp=1
Victoria Velina Revamped.esp=1
Cloaks.esp=1
SMIM-FarmhouseFlickeringFix.esp=1
Bijin Warmaidens.esp=1
SexSlavesForVanillaBandits.esp=1
DeviouslyHelpless.esp=1
throneroom.esp=1
Better Vampires.esp=1
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp=1
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp=1
ImmersiveArmorsNPCs.esp=1
Balanced_Magic.esp=1
xazPrisonOverhaul.esp=1
AliciaPainSlut.esp=1
CWIDawnDragonPatch.esp=1
Draconic Bloodline.esp=1
Devious Deviants.esp=1
RavenCastle.esp=1
TS_HairNHeels_compilation.esp=1
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp=1
SMIM-ShackRoofFixes.esp=1
Colorful_Magic.esp=1
PetCollar.esp=1
SMIM-ShackRoofFixesDragonborn.esp=1
Vampirelordroyal.esp=1
TheMadMasker.esp=1
SexLab-AmorousAdventures.esp=1
SOS - Shop.esp=1
Deviously Cursed Loot.esp=1
MiasLair.esp=1
Aeonbarr.esp=1
SexLab Romance.esp=0
MilkModNEW.esp=1
Remodeled Armor.esp=1
SexLabDefeat.esp=1
mslDeviousCaptures.esp=1
isilNarsil.esp=1
MilkModNEW HF.esp=1
MilkModNEW ZaZ.esp=1
Queen of the damned-Akasha Dress.esp=1
R18pn - lingerie Set.esp=1
Warhammer Sorceress Robes.esp=1
Sweet&Sexy Lingerie.esp=1
Sneak Tools.esp=1
Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp=1
My Home Is Your Home.esp=1
Medusa and Drakul Armors.esp=1
Raven Witch Armor.esp=1
Emfy Cleric Robes.esp=1
LustmordVampireArmor.esp=1
Neo's Slave Leia Renewal.esp=1
NewDrapedDress1.esp=1
NewJewelleryGems.esp=1
Apocalypse - More Apocalypse.esp=1
1nivWICCloaks.esp=1
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp=1
DD FtM - Cloaks WIC patch.esp=1
Inconsequential NPCs - Enhancement.esp=1
BVandRB_Formlist.esp=1
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp=1
SexLabSolutions_PrisonOverhaul_and_LAL_Patch.esp=1
Bashed Patch, 0.esp=1
ASIS-Dependency.esp=1

I have never cleaned any mod I think its overrated I use with merging over 300 mods in my actual game without issues.

CTD while loading your savegame can be prevented if you load a small cell before loading your actual savegame I allways load up a savegame right after character creation in the alternate start cell because there is not much running in this state then after that load my actual savegame this workaround is used by a lot of people here

CTD while switching cells can be prevented if you use shensons memory patch

1. Download and install SKSE 1.7.1
2. Go to Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/Data and see if you have a SKSE folder with an SKSE.ini file inside. If you do, add these values to SKSE.ini:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048
[Memory]
defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
scrapHeapSizeMB=256

If you dont have a skse.ini create one using text editor pasting lines in and save it as skse.ini

Another thing preventing ctd's would be monitor your ram usage if you see skyrim uses more then 3.1gb ram it crash because its a 32 bit application if you see your skyrim reaches this limit or just to be save use enb or if you don't like the graphical changes use enb boost it helps skyrim with memory management and makes skyrim able to handle more then 3.1gb ram since it is a 64bit application

I'm currently using the 1.7.2 beta build for skse, would there be benefits to using 1.7.1 over it? I will definitely add this to the skse.ini file. I do already use enboost. And I will try out loading the small cell.

edit: I load a save from when I was in the prison cell and then load another save, but it's no good, I'm still getting CTDs on all of them

In my recent Skyrim fresh install, due to the large number of mods installed, I have run in a lot of CTD too, believing that the latest SKSE memory patch would prevent the problem. It didn't worked, but after installed this Safety load, the CTD reduced greatly (just a couple last week and probably because I was running CK, Max and watching a tutorial in HD. The loading times increased but at least the crashes are no longer an issue.

Just read the install carefully and good luck! 

Alright, I'll try that. I just tried a new save, starting as a member of the companions, but I'm still having the same issues (It crashed as I tried to get out of jorrvaskr). Hopefully this might alleviate it

edit: I'm not sure any of it is helping. My older saves still won't load, and my new save still won't let me leave jorrvaskr. Is there anything else I can do?

You can try some tools to remove scripts and unwanted references, but I really don't know if it helps, the game is still new and those tools are useful for more advanced gameplay stages, when you have added/removed some mods. 

Can you find the SKSE log? Is in documents\Skyrim\SKSE, not in Data folder.

Are you using heavy textures? (they don't use esp since they directly replace vanilla ones)

Are you running heavy programs in background while playing Skyrim?

Alright, I'll try that. I just tried a new save, starting as a member of the companions, but I'm still having the same issues (It crashed as I tried to get out of jorrvaskr). Hopefully this might alleviate it

edit: I'm not sure any of it is helping. My older saves still won't load, and my new save still won't let me leave jorrvaskr. Is there anything else I can do?

You seem to not got me right just start the new game and right after character creation save and exit. This savegame you just created while still in the prison cell is the savegame you load and after that load the savegame you want to play

Are you using heavy textures? (they don't use esp since they directly replace vanilla ones)

So since you added the SKSE patch, enbboost and try'd it with the workaround we have to try something diffrent.

1. As allready asked by JRCosta are you using hd textures if yes 1k 2k 4k? Also what are your hardware specs?

2. Please install memoryblockslog http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50471/?and provide a logfile that includes a crash the logfile is created in the skse folder

3. Monitor your vram usage and see if it hits the limit (you can use gpuZ for example it creates logfiles so its easy to control)

4. You can use safety load as JRCosta said, but safty load does nothing else then splitting the load like you do it when you first load a small cell anyway just try it

Just for info not related directly to you:

You can try some tools to remove scripts and unwanted references, but I really don't know if it helps, the game is still new and those tools are useful for more advanced gameplay stages, when you have added/removed some mods.

Not a good idea regardless of gamestate you are breaking more then you fixing I constantly update install deinstall mods and I try'd out the savegame scalpel serval times, but it usually just finds a handfull unused scripts so there is no real benefit from it besides you want to delete specific scripts.

@Chasmx: The save/script tools are more a last resort, it saved my game a couple of times removing unwanted scripts from some mods, so sometimes is useful, sometimes it makes it worst. As I don't have a negative experience, I recommend when nothing else seems to work, but with caution and backups, like always. In this case I mention them but stated that probably won't work in current game status.

To the OP: if you are using a NVidia card, check Nvidia Inspector too, very useful for improving performance in game. And check Chasmx post and reply, we are here to help.

Can you find the SKSE log? Is in documents\Skyrim\SKSE, not in Data folder.

That is where I created the skse.ini, there wasn't one there before. My textures include

• A Quality World Map (Standard, All Roads, non-high res)
  • Skyrim HD v1_5 Lite (Landscape, dungeons, misc, towns and the 1_6 Riften)
  • Real Ice (1k Textures for Azure)
  • ApachiiSkyHair Natural Retexture
  • aMidianBorn Book of Silence (I suspect this is my heaviest texture pack)

I may have others that I'm forgetting, but I think that is most of it. As for programs I have kept a page open in firefox, but that is the only other one that I see in my task manager that I've ever really see take up a lot of memory.

You seem to not got me right just start the new game and right after character creation save and exit. This savegame you just created while still in the prison cell is the savegame you load and after that load the savegame you want to play

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I created a new save and saved it in the abandoned prison. I started on that save, and after it loaded I tried to load the saves of my original character, and they didn't load. Out of curiosity I then started playing on the new character (while still loading from the prison save). He is currently stuck in Jorrvaskr and is unable to exit into Whiterun. I have the original character, the new character, and the new character's prison save which I am loading first.

Also what are your hardware specs?

i7-4700MQ (2.4 GHz), 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD (5400 RPM iirc, no SSD), two NVIDIA GeForce GT755M (2 GB VRAM each)

I'll try the other tools you mentioned as well.

To the OP: if you are using a NVidia card, check Nvidia Inspector too, very useful for improving performance in game. And check Chasmx post and reply, we are here to help.

Alright, I'll try that out also

Edit: GPU-Z caused my computer to freeze and now I'm trying to see if any problems have come up as a result. So Skyrim may be put on hold depending on what happens

ok your memory blocks look good, but I'm curious about your gpu log as you may see this line:

2015-01-21 00:02:31 ,              940.6   ,               1249.7   ,               61.0   ,           2031

2015-01-21 00:05:04 ,              324.0   ,                202.5   ,               58.0   ,           2005

you hit 2gb of ram it stays for a while there and then the load drops so I assume you crashed after the load stayed for 2,5min.

Please test this further and look on the clock when you crash so I can see clearly if you crashed when you hit ~2gb of vram even if you have more then 2gb vram the problem may be that SLI is often not used or at least not used well from programs so again please thest it further and see if you allways crash when you are around 2gb of vram or if it is just coincidence

Edit: you also if you take a look at your log your gpu speed is often quite near the limit it nearly reaches the 100% usage keep an eye on that, but it seems not releated to the crash, but anyway please provide another log that includes a crash and as I said above please look on the clock when it crashes so we can see if your vram is releated

For your information so read it for a bit insight ;)

logging of blocks enabled
logging max values only
Timer disabled
Block1 Block2
512MB    256MB
85    8
85    8
85    9
85    10

302    180
302    181
302    182
302    183

This is your memory blocks log so as you can see there are 2 number the standart skyrim works with a standart of Block1 256MB so as you see at the end of the log you allready are over the limit of the standart skyrim block once you exceed this limit you would have been crashed with the SKSE.ini you made you changed the size of memory blocks skyrim works with so you changed the value to 512 as you can see this reduces or eliminates better all crashes releated to the size of the memory block skyrim uses.

But this is just for info so you know what you actually changed in your skyrim your skyrim would only crash if you reach the 512mb which is highly unusual

I just tried it again, tt appears that I am crashing when I hit 2 GB of VRAM, this log seems to support that  (crash was somewhere between 19:28:37 and 19:28:42 on 1/21/2015). So it does seem like my SLI might not be working which seems unusual (I had read that Skyrim supported SLI, and the only other thing I could think that might have an effect would be the enboost, but I don't really know how that works). Would this pertain primarily to textures or could something else be causing this?

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

Addistionally here's another memory blocks log from this crash,  though I don't really understand what it's saying and I'm afraid I'm not sure I follow what you said

MemoryBlocksLog.log

Addistionally here's another memory blocks log from this crash,  though I don't really understand what it's saying and I'm afraid I'm not sure I follow what you said

I see I made a screenshot to explain it more easy ;)

post-425879-0-60384500-1421936088_thumb.jpg

I just tried it again, tt appears that I am crashing when I hit 2 GB of VRAM, this log seems to support that  (crash was somewhere between 19:28:37 and 19:28:42 on 1/21/2015). So it does seem like my SLI might not be working which seems unusual (I had read that Skyrim supported SLI, and the only other thing I could think that might have an effect would be the enboost, but I don't really know how that works). Would this pertain primarily to textures or could something else be causing this?

With the new log it appears that SLI is not used by your skyrim I don't have SLI, but as far as I know I would recommand no one SLI since even if they say its supported it dosent mean its working you know, if they say its supported it dosent mean its working with everything it got.

For future hardware buys one single good card is most likly better for the most stuff.

I also recommand to post in the enb support forum for you problem with SLI

http://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=c3b969f4f13cbb689f6004a0de62ebe0

There are people that know everything about this stuff I can only use logic and my expierience since I don't have any software knowledge

If you don't want to wait to try a bit around until you got some awnsers on the ENB forum you may try the following stuff

You may try it without enb boost maybe its better you will have to test it I don't know how well enb boost supports SLI I heard from diffrent users they had a better expierence when they disabled SLI for skyrim, but as said you will have to try it and see what comes out if its worse well you can allways undo the changes.

I googled a bit for information and it seem that SLI is partially supported that means that the vram is not shared so only the vram off one card can be used the gpu itself seems to get used for calculations, but your or our problem is that you seem to get stuck at the vram I don't think we can do something about this

If you use hd texture packs you may try to reduce them (if you have 2k go to 1k or even 512) since they are what eats vram also what eats a lot of graphical performance is gras if you use any gras mods I'm curious which are you using you may change to a less performance hungry gras and/or reduce the density of the gras gras is really really performance hungry if used wrong

I just tried disabling enboost, and I think that did it. I will need to test a little more before I mark this topic as resolved, but I loaded everything up for a couple minutes and had no problems with it gone. I don't know if it would be worth trying to fix enboost later on but right now I'm just happy that it looks like it's working. Thank you so much for your help

Archived